Is overclocking still worth it for gaming

Go to solution Solved by IceCold007,

Yes but don't expect huge gains. anywhere between 5 to 15 or even 20 extra fps in game. Depends on how much you want to overclock your processor. A small overclock would gain hardly anything.  Depends on what type of gamer you are. Like I said if you play a lot of mmo games like. Planetside 2, World of Warcraft, Aion, etc etc overclocking can come in really handy. If you play mostly single player games them not worth it. Also depends on what CPU you have atm. If you have a old CPU overclocking comes in handy again. If you have a new cpu not really worth it.

If you do a lot of work in windows like graphics design or video editing them overclocking REALLY comes in handy.

I myself tried overclocking I got my CPU "i7 4770k"  to 4.5 when playing Planetside 2. I noticed an increase in fps whilst playing. I also noticed how much faster windows apps opened up and how much faster windows loaded etc. I then played a few single player games and DIDNT notice any increase in frames what so ever.

So in this video here it shows that the only games affected much by overclocking are the Skyrim with graphic mods and crisis 3. The games I play are

• World of Warcraft:Warlords or Draenor
  • League if Legends
  • Hearthstone
  • Overwatch(when it comes out)
  • Battlefield:Hardline
  • Witcher 3
  • Star Wars Battlefront(when it comes out)
  • Batman Arkam Knight (when it comes out)
  • Shadow of Mordor
  • modded Minecraft 
  • COD:Black Ops 3 (when it comes out)

When was the last time that ScatterVolt said something right?

Never.

I play BFH and Modded MC and lol, Overclocking helps a LOT

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Never.

You're also attempting to alleviate an existing bottleneck. Those eight "cores" are weak ones, we both know that.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

So in this video here it shows that the only games affected much by overclocking are the Skyrim with graphic mods and crisis 3. The games I play are

• Overwatch(when it comes out)
  • Battlefield:Hardline
  • Witcher 3
  • Star Wars Battlefront(when it comes out)
  • Batman Arkam Knight (when it comes out)
  • Shadow of Mordor
  • COD:Black Ops 3 (when it comes out)

All the games i left in your original post will be effected by overclocking.

YES, Overclocking can help performance a lot.

7800X3D - MSI B650 MAG Tomahawk - 32GB 6000mhz CL30 - Gigabyte 3080 TI - 2TB NVME - 1000w PSU - ID Cooling 240mm AIO

Never.

What were the performance numbers with and without overclocking?

Depends on the game, some of those games will most definitely benefit from an OC.

What processor are you using?

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

You're also attempting to alleviate an existing bottleneck. Those eight "cores" are weak ones, we both know that.

Yeah well Yeah.

I am Ocing both cpu and gpu. So I dont think I am decreasing the bottlneck at all...

All the games i left in your original post will be effected by overclocking.

YES, Overclocking can help performance a lot.

How much 1 or like 7fps?

Never.

Lol so true, I've corrected him in youtube comments twice now when he has given incorrect advice.

What were the performance numbers with and without overclocking?

Dont have numbers right now,

BUT

BFH, went up about 20 fps with a 1GHZ cpu oc and a 280mhz gpu core and 250mhz memmory oc.

Dont have numbers right now,

BUT

BFH, went up about 20 fps with a 1GHZ cpu oc and a 280mhz gpu core and 250mhz memmory oc.

Damn if I overclock then I can get 1 g80 and don't have to get 970 sli.

Damn if I overclock then I can get 1 g80 and don't have to get 970 sli.

G80?

How much 1 or like 7fps?

G3258 gets a 22fps jump. guess thats Small?

7800X3D - MSI B650 MAG Tomahawk - 32GB 6000mhz CL30 - Gigabyte 3080 TI - 2TB NVME - 1000w PSU - ID Cooling 240mm AIO

G3258 gets a 22fps jump. guess thats Small?

Yeah but crisis seems to be the only game that benifits more I'll do more research.

Never.

overclocking only helps when bottlenecking is a problem. if your cpu is fast enough to drive your graphics card to its fullest potential in a given game, overclocking will do nothing for your framerates

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

How much 1 or like 7fps?

what processor are you running. not all processors will get a benefit in gaming.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

overclocking only helps when bottlenecking is a problem. if your cpu is fast enough to drive your graphics card to its fullest potential in a given game, overclocking will do nothing for your framerates

what processor are you running. not all processors will get a benefit in gaming.

i5 4690k or xeon 1231v3 970 sli or 980. Will I experience bottlenecks?

Also  this video no difference

Edited by XxDeadpool67xX

first, xeon's can't be overclocked with the multiplier so that is a moot point. the 4690k doesn't really need to overclock in most games. some games like WoW or Kerbal Space Program are cpu bound, meaning the performance you get it game is dependent on your cpu's performance. in games like that, overclocking will help. Not many games are cpu bound for intel i5s so you won't see much of an improvement to behonst. 1 fps if you're lucky.

CoolaxGaming has a pretty weak cpu for gaming so overclocking helps his gaming a lot, his cpu is the limiting factor in most games. 

edit:

to answer your question about bottlenecks, you'll always be bottlenecked by something, the key is to make sure your graphics card is the bottleneck for the performance. with an i5 or a xeon you'll be fine for quite some time. some games will still make your processor the bottleneck but games like that are typically simulation games like Kerbal space program or microsoft flight simulator and run great anyway. or they are games that aren't graphically demanding to begin with.

My rig:

first, xeon's can't be overclocked with the multiplier so that is a moot point. the 4690k doesn't really need to overclock in most games. some games like WoW or Kerbal Space Program are cpu bound, meaning the performance you get it game is dependent on your cpu's performance. in games like that, overclocking will help. Not many games are cpu bound for intel i5s so you won't see much of an improvement to behonst. 1 fps if you're lucky.

CoolaxGaming has a pretty weak cpu for gaming so overclocking helps his gaming a lot, his cpu is the limiting factor in most games. 

Is overclocking is any more (don't hate me for using this word) ""'future proof""' Or is it just cool so you can have an ROG logo on your startup?

So should I go for overclocking is any more (don't hate me for using this word) ""'future proof""' Or is it just cool so you can have an ROG logo on your startup?

overclocking is a feature that can be nice to have. it can put off a cpu upgrade for a little while. i would definitely recommend getting the i5 4690k. 3-4 years from now you'll still be using it and only then would it be worth it to overclock to alleviate bottlenecks. the only reason mine is overclocked right now is to see how far i could push it. it'll probably go back to stock later, or just keep running at this speed because kerbal space program is a game i like to play :P

My rig:

overclocking is a feature that can be nice to have. it can put off a cpu upgrade for a little while. i would definitely recommend getting the i5 4690k. 3-4 years from now you'll still be using it and only then would it be worth it to overclock to alleviate bottlenecks. the only reason mine is overclocked right now is to see how far i could push it. it'll probably go back to stock later, or just keep running at this speed because kerbal space program is a game i like to play :P

Just curious but if I'm not getting bottlenecks now why would I get them later?

kerbal space program 

Is this Star Citezen I can hardly tell the diference!  :lol:

Just curious but if I'm not getting bottlenecks now why would I get them later?

Is this Star Citezen I can hardly tell the diference!  :lol:

you would get bottlenecks later by upgrading to a more powerful graphics card and possibly from more cpu intensive features they might add to games

and no, kerbal space program has FAR more explosions :P

My rig: