My Orange Prodigy Build

Charlie Clarke

Hey guys, so I have finished my second pc build and I thought I would just put some info about it here,

The case I chose is an orange Bitfenix Prodigy (ITX Version) which I have been eyeing off for some time. I think it just looks awesome and it is reasonably small too, building in it is certainly harder than a vertical mounted motherboard case. Mounted in the bottom of the case is my PSU, an EVGA 600B. This PSU is way way way tooo much for this build, but for $100 AUD it is a great deal and is pretty high quality, plus it leaves room for some major upgrades. My Mobo is a Zotac 9300 ITX, this mobo is pretty cool, and has an included geforce 9300 itx gpu in it. In the motherboard is a Core 2 Quad Q8400, I went with LGA  775 because I didn't want a high power build, but LGA 775 Quad cores are so cheap these days and can give some pretty decent performance. The ram is waiting for an upgrade but for now it is 3GB of Samsung-thing-or-another, which runs windows 7 and simple indie games fine. My GPU is a Gainward 240 GT, which performs better than expected, and runs some good racing games to go with my old Logitech G27 Setup. The HDD is just a 1TB toshiba 2.5 inch, I have a 128gb ssd laying around, I haven't gotten around to installing windows yet. For my fan setup, I have a 230mm Spectre Pro in the front, as an intake (the hdd cages have been removed) Then on the top I have 2 x 140mm fans exhausting the hot air away from the motherboard area, and on the back I have another 140mm exhaust. My monitor is an Acer V223HQV which I have had for some time now and, the matte, 1080p, 24 inch screen looks really nice.

Let me know what you guys think, some of the parts choices are a bit odd, but alot of them are things I already owned so this build was very cheap (apart from the psu and case which I know I can use again)

OLD-SCHOOL - Intel Pentium 4 SL6WF with HYPERTHREADING! - ACER 651M03-6L Mobo - Saphire R9600 PRO 256mb AGP Card - 2gb DDR - 40gb IDE HDD - 430w PSU

You should really be building with current hardware. LGA775 is some old stuff. An i3-based Haswell system would serve you much better. Watch the LTT video "Are All MHz Created Equal?" where they compare a Q6600 and a 5960X which was detuned to have the same specs (2.4GHz, quad core, no hyperthreading if I remember correctly). New architectures, especially over many years, make a big difference.

You should really be building with current hardware. LGA775 is some old stuff. An i3-based Haswell system would serve you much better. Watch the LTT video "Are All MHz Created Equal?" where they compare a Q6600 and a 5960X which was detuned to have the same specs (2.4GHz, quad core, no hyperthreading if I remember correctly). New architectures, especially over many years, make a big difference.

Yeah, but you have to remeber I already had this stuff, so it was free

OLD-SCHOOL - Intel Pentium 4 SL6WF with HYPERTHREADING! - ACER 651M03-6L Mobo - Saphire R9600 PRO 256mb AGP Card - 2gb DDR - 40gb IDE HDD - 430w PSU