---

schgrcube

That desk!!!  Here is my idea:  Forget the Define R5, you could totally make this a desk build!

Line the interior of the viewing area with a soft black fabric, or perhaps some of that peel and stick modding film (comes in different colors).  You'll also need to put some work into making the rest of the desk look nice.  Here is the concept:

cross-desk-build-log-complete-desk.jpg

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

is it too late to make some constructive criticism about the build?

gr8. lemme start

1. i recommend the enermax liqtech 240, its red and bloack, dunno if it will clash with the color scheme, but that cooler is built like a tank, pump is dead silent, and the stock fans it comes with are a-ok rather than corsair's mediocre fans

2. as for fans, i would really go for different fans, i recommend cougar vortex 140s or rosewill hyperboreas, much better than corsaie fans.

3. if you want to SLI cards in the future go for at least a 650 or 750 watt PSU, but for a single card a 550 will be plenty

4. you can shave a couple of bucks on getting a crucial BX100 SSD (http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-BX100-500GB-Internal-Solid/dp/B00RQA6M5Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1430511615&sr=8-2&keywords=500gb+ssd), its just as fast, cheaper, and crucial customer support exists, rather than sansung's, i mean, seriously, they customer support is even worst than valve's

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

So you worked for Apple...  <_< 

JK, welcome back to the PC Masterrace!  ;) 

I wish I had that much space. I'll definitly follow this topic. I want to see what you make out of your attic and what it'll look like at the end.

So I have been playing around with some ideas to improve the case, and I have one idea that I think will be helpful. I have access to a friend with a laser cutter, and am going to see if he can create a new top panel out of acrylic with the same hex pattern found underneath it cut out for airflow to the radiator. I am going to see if we can make it to a filter can be added into it as well, but I will take this one step at a time.

(sorry for the tripod being in it, but I needed this photo to be perfectly even for the photoshop to work out. I'm not all that great at photoshop!)

I also have some more updates on my paint plans, but will post that once I can create the mockup for it. Let me know what you think of this idea, I am totally open to criticism before I start having him cut some acrylic.

Sounds great. Maybe you can add some white LEDs, too so the whole panel is illuminated.

Main Components

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black Windowed (acquired)

CPU: Intel i7 4790K (planned)

Cooler: Corsair H105 (planned)

Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 (planned)

PSU: XFX XTR 550W 80+ Gold (acquired)

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB Windforce (planned)

RAM: Avexir Core White LED (planned)

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB (planned)

HDD: Western Digital Black 4TB (planned)

Fans: Corsair Air Series AF140s (planned)

I've just come across this build and realised it's very similar to mine with some changes  :D. I look forward to some mods I never thought about cutting up the moduvents for a radiator I just made a magnetic dust filter for the top instead.

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Windowed

CPU: i7 4790K

Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1

PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+ Gold

GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 2-way SLI

RAM: Corsair Vengeance

SSD: 120GB 840 EVO / 500GB 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda / 4TB Seagate SSHD

Fans: Noctua NF-F12 PPC

awesome man!

CPU     4790K  4.7GHz @ 1.17 volts

MOBO  Asus Z97-K

GPU     980ti Strix

RAM    16GB G.Skill

Haha! Good choices.

And I will not be cutting into my existing moduvents, I'm actually going to be having a piece of acrylic cut to replace all 3 vents.

On that note, I changed up the design a little bit. It is kind of similar to the Corsair 450d front panel, as I will potentially be cutting into the front panel as well, and have decided on a hex style camo for the interior as a possibility. This would go with a similar paint scheme on the Sabertooth Mark 1s thermal armor. The rest of the paint scheme will be matching the tan and green from the Sabertooths accent colors on small parts throughout the build.

-snip-

I wish I was better at photoshop, but I think this gives a decent idea.

Edit: One more.

-snip-

I was thinking about doing something similar to my front panel but decided to keep it stock and if your going to have radiators on the top panel make sure you have cut outs in the acrylic for the screws as my 360 rad is using the offset mounts the screws are right over to the edge and you can't get a piece of acrylic there as it's so tight. I made a C shape panel for this but soon changed it for a filter instead. I like the design you have in mind also and I think you should look into getting a PSU shroud made for it as it makes the R5 look really nice.

post-112743-0-83703500-1430998876_thumb.

Definitely following m8. Welcome back to the PC Master Race.

• 4 weeks later...