Project Black Pilot - Budget Build, AMD, BitFenix

TechJohnson

Black-Pilot-Banner.jpg

Project Black Pilot

by steven johnson (@stevenventures)

Who am I?

What's going on, everyone? My name is Steven Johnson and I'm 23 years old living in New Jersey. A lot of you may recognize me from my old YouTube channel (this is my current one - YouTube) or my Project Red Arctic build log. By day, I'm a freelance graphic designer. By night, I'm a YouTuber and Twitch streamer. Whether I'm producing videos, designing graphics or doing photography, content is my main focus in life - aside from my family.

Why I'm Building?

Believe it or not, I'm actually building this computer for a number of reasons.

As I stated in Project Red Arctic, it's been a few years since I've actually built a custom PC. Since Red Arctic is such a large scaled project, I thought it would be wise to get my hands back into building. Sure, it's probably like riding a bike, but I'd much rather hone my skills back on a lower budget build than destroy a $5,000 build.

Is there a theme?

You know, building a budget machine is extremely difficult. Building one with a small theme - even more challenging! However, I think I was able to get a small theme going. Essentially, I'm going for a blackout look with red accent. The name Black Pilot has a few meanings. Black = primary color theme. Pilot = testing my building capabilities.

Main Components

Case: BitFenix Pandora Core (sponsored by BitFenixacquired)

CPU: AMD A6-7400K (acquired)

MB: GIGABYTE GA-F2A78M-D3H (acquired)

PSU: BitFenix 550 Fury (awaiting)

RAM: G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB 2133MHz (acquired)

SSD: Crucial MX200 250GB (sponsored by Crucialacquired)

Fans: 120mm Spectre Pro w/ Red LEDs (sponsored by BitFenixacquired)

If you have any recommendations on hardware that will make this build better, I am all ears! Building on a budget is difficult.

SPONSOR

bitfenix-logo.png

crucial-logo-e1431266436211.png

Pictures coming soon...

If possible, I would have tried for an itx build. Considering no dedicated gpu, it would have looked nicer.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Damn right, building in a very limited budget ain't easy....

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Why can't I get free cases? :(

You can do anything you set your mind to. :) 

If possible, I would have tried for an itx build. Considering no dedicated gpu, it would have looked nicer.

You know, I never thought about that. I've been so out of the custom building scene that I forgot a lot. Gotta get my knowledge back up! Maybe if I do another budget build for YouTube, I'll look into this route.

Damn right, building in a very limited budget ain't easy....

I didn't think it would be that hard. Boy was I wrong!

Nice! I'm not a huge fan of A6 apus, but I do like that you didn't compromise on ram capacity and you didn't skip the ssd. Well done!

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I know it's not too hard, but if it's a "Gaming PC" then it'd be harder find the parts.

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

You can do anything you set your mind to. :)

You know, I never thought about that. I've been so out of the custom building scene that I forgot a lot. Gotta get my knowledge back up! Maybe if I do another budget build for YouTube, I'll look into this route.

For $300 Im not sure if you could do an itx or mitx. I'll surely be impressed if you find a way to budget this though. Just a thought though, as a smaller case would make everything tidier.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Why can't I get free cases? :(

You need to get friends with a tech retailer ^^ the amount of used cases that get tossed their way is insane... I got a free corsair 800D from my uncle...

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Nice! I'm not a huge fan of A6 apus, but I do like that you didn't compromise on ram capacity and you didn't skip the ssd. Well done!

Give the budget, I didn't really see any other options. Honestly, though, I can't judge it. I've never used AMD before, so this is going to be a first - even if the budget is extremely small. All I knew was since it's a budget build and it's an APU, I needed to have higher speed RAM and an SSD to make it "feel" more snappier. Hopefully it pays off!

I know it's not too hard, but if it's a "Gaming PC" then it'd be harder find the parts.

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to run a few less graphic intensive games on this build. Such as Minecraft at medium to high settings...who knows. We'll see and I'll definitely be keeping everyone posted!

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to run a few less graphic intensive games on this build. Such as Minecraft at medium to high settings...who knows. We'll see and I'll definitely be keeping everyone posted!

This PC is impressive in my opinion for $300! Let us know the result!  :)

PC Specs

Indonesia

Australia 

Yeah, it's though on a budget that low. The reason I don't particularly like A6s is that they're dual cores as opposed to quads, but then again A8s are 40 bucks more.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Yeah, it's though on a budget that low. The reason I don't particularly like A6s is that they're dual cores as opposed to quads, but then again A8s are 40 bucks more.

Very true, but at this budget, there isn't much you can do.

Black-Pilot-Banner.jpg

It's time for my first official update on this budget build. I just received the Motherboard and the CPU (APU/iGPU - however you want to call it, it's here)!

To my surprise, this motherboard is unbelievably sexy. Especially given the price of just $60. It's very hard to do a budget build, let alone do a budget build with a specific theme. I'm pretty happy that I was able to get this board in primarily black, looks so much sexier in person. Pictures don't do justice! 

If you guys want me to take more detailed pictures, I'd be happy to do so. I just quickly took these without my setting up my studio lighting.

I should have the rest of the parts within two weeks. Trying to quickly build this before spending all my money on Red Arctic. I'm excited!

IMG_9851.jpgIMG_9853.jpgIMG_9854.jpgIMG_9852.jpgIMG_9855.jpgIMG_9858.jpgIMG_9857.jpgIMG_9856.jpg

Thanks, man. I appreciate it. :)

Can't wait for benchmark!  :)

PC Specs

Indonesia

Australia 

• 3 months later...

Black-Pilot-Banner.jpg

What's going on, peeps? It's been awhile since I've updated you on this build. I recently went away on vacation to Vermont and when I returned home, I received a pretty awesome package on my doorstep by BitFenix!

They have been awesome and kind enough to sponsor this build. They've included a case, some fans, the Recon for my X99 build, and there is a possibility that there may be a power supply on its way when stock returns.

Regardless to say, I just want to say thanks to BitFenix. Go check them out.

With that said, this build was originally a budget build of $300, but I have decided to build upon the motherboard and CPU that I've already purchased. I want this build to eventually act as a low end gaming PC, as well as a home server for all my music, files and movies. As of right now, I'm just going to build and see what happens.

The only thing left to 100% receive for a working computer is the PSU and RAM!

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

Just wanted to give a quick mini update. Just received a donation on my live CS:GO stream. Getting ready to order some G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB 2133MHz RAM. Boooyah! 

Awesome shots, can't wait to see it put together. I'm also doing a small form factor build to try to 'hone my skills' as well, lol. I went for the upgrade path of the i5 and z97 but I was close to getting an AMD apu for cost reasons. Are you air cooling this build?

Awesome shots, can't wait to see it put together. I'm also doing a small form factor build to try to 'hone my skills' as well, lol. I went for the upgrade path of the i5 and z97 but I was close to getting an AMD apu for cost reasons. Are you air cooling this build?

Awesome! Yeah, this build will be air cooled on the stock CPU cooler provided. I'm not doing anything crazy with this build. If I'm able to run Counter-Strike: Global Offensive at medium settings, I'll be happy. My main build I'm saving up for is my X99 build. Find the link in the signature. :P 

• 2 weeks later...

Black-Pilot-Banner.jpg

What's going on, everyone? I'm happy to be updating this thread! The build is almost complete, I'm just waiting on a Power Supply. I was originally going to see if BitFenix was able to send me one for this build, but they are currently low on stock for us YouTubers. So, I'm thinking about picking up the EVGA 430W PSU for the time being. Thoughts?

Anyway, I wanted to do a bit of customization to the build. Since I'm going with a primary black theme, the harsh clashing of the silver SSD in the side panel window was really bothering me. Decided to take matters into my own hands and create a video on my process. Hope you enjoy!