Project Red Arctic - X99 | Define R5 | Custom Loop

TechJohnson

Red-Arctic-Banner.jpg

Project Red Arctic

by steven johnson (@techjohnson)

Who am I?
What's going on, everyone? My name is Steven Johnson and I'm 23 years old living in New Jersey. By day, I'm a freelance graphic designer. By night, I'm a YouTuber and Twitch streamer. I love producing content, whether it be in video form, graphic form or photography.

Why I'm Building?
A few years back, I was into building custom computers. All that changed when I found myself in the graphic design world and became engulfed with the "Mac is better" mentality. At the time, sure, Apple computers had an awesome lead, but there were still advantages to both sides. Specifically, graphic design software.

Long story short, now that I look at the potential of custom computer building, I'm finding myself more and more intrigued. I'm noticing that the money I spent on my $3,000 MacBook Pro, I could have built a godly computer that not only destroys the MacBook Pro in all aspects of performance, but also allows me to customize the rig to my personal liking. I don't know about you, but that seems like a win, win! 

This computer will not only be used as my daily browsing computer, it will also be the main machine that operates my freelance business, YouTube and Twitch hobby, as well as my money pit (let's be honest).

Is there a theme?
Of course, it'll be the RED ARCTIC! Ok, jokes aside, I'm going for a high-quality white on white build with a hint of red - specifically in the custom watercooling I'll be doing down the line. Essentially, I want white to be the main color and have your eyes be drawn to a deep red in the custom loops. To take it a step further, the waterblocks will be a clear frost, making it have that arctic, cool feel. 

Main Components
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/ White Window (sponsored by Fractal Design, acquired)
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz (awaiting)
MB: ASUS X99-PRO (awaiting)
PSU: Fractal Design Newton R3 1000w in White (sponsored by Fractal Designacquired)

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 x2 [sLI] (awaiting)
RAM: 16GB Corsair DDR4 RAM (awaiting)
SSD: Crucial MX200 250GB x2 (sponsored by Crucial, acquired)
HDD: Western Digital Black Series 1TB 7200RPM x3 (awaiting)

Water Cooling Components
Undecided on all components. Must do some research before making this dive. Might start with the Corsair H100i while I gather all the components needed for the custom loop. All recommendations and knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Main requirement, frost water blocks for CPU and Graphic Cards.

Miscellaneous Components
Fan Controller: BitFenix Recon (sponsored by BitFenix, acquired)

Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Cherry MX Red Switch and Red LEDs (acquired)
Mouse: Corsair Gaming M65 RGB (acquired)
Fans: Undecided - all recommendations would be greatly appreciated
LED Strips: Undecided - all recommendations would be greatly appreciated
Cables: Undecided - all recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Prefer white, white/red, white/gray cables.

Please note, this list may change. Not all components are set in stone - at least the ones that haven't been purchased. If you have any recommendations on hardware that will make this better, I am all ears!

Current Sponsors:
fractaldesignblacklogo765x329.jpg

crucial-logo-e1431266436211.png

bitfenix-logo.png
I'm so excited to start buying all the parts needed for this build, as well as document the build process. I've never formally done a build log, especially one this major. I'll be sure to create videos and include as many pictures as possible. I'm a huge fan of seeing pictures, so I'm sure you are too. 

Main Pictures

IMG_9882-e1428773672882.jpg

IMG_9872-e1428773737856.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

Crucial-SSD-MX200.jpg

Red-Arctic-Banner.jpg

Project Red Arctic

by steven johnson (@techjohnson)

Who am I?

What's going on, everyone? My name is Steven Johnson and I'm 23 years old living in New Jersey. By day, I'm a freelance graphic designer. By night, I'm a YouTuber and Twitch streamer. I love producing content, whether it be in video form, graphic form or photography.

Why I'm Building?

A few years back, I was into building custom computers. All that changed when I found myself in the graphic design world and became engulfed with the "Mac is better" mentality. At the time, sure, Apple computers had an awesome lead, but there were still advantages to both sides. Specifically, graphic design software.

Long story short, now that I look at the potential of custom computer building, I'm finding myself more and more intrigued. I'm noticing that the money I spent on my $3,000 MacBook Pro, I could have built a godly computer that not only destroys the MacBook Pro in all aspects of performance, but also allows me to customize the rig to my personal liking. I don't know about you, but that seems like a win, win! 

This computer will not only be used as my daily browsing computer, it will also be the main machine that operates my freelance business, YouTube and Twitch hobby, as well as my money pit (let's be honest).

Is there a theme?

Of course, it'll be the RED ARCTIC! Ok, jokes aside, I'm going for a high-quality white on white build with a hint of red - specifically in the custom watercooling I'll be doing down the line. Essentially, I want white to be the main color and have your eyes be drawn to a deep red in the custom loops. To take it a step further, the waterblocks will be a clear frost, making it have that arctic, cool feel. 

Main Components

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/ White Window (sponsored by Fractal Design, in transit)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz (awaiting)

MB: ASUS X99-PRO (awaiting)

PSU: Fractal Design Newton R3 1000w in White (awaiting)

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 (awaiting)

RAM: 16GB Corsair DDR4 RAM (awaiting)

SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB x2 (awaiting)

HDD: Western Digital Black Series 1TB 7200RPM x3 (awaiting)

Water Cooling Components

Undecided on all components. Must do some research before making this dive. Might start with the Corsair H100i while I gather all the components needed for the custom loop. All recommendations and knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Main requirement, frost water blocks for CPU and Graphic Cards.

Miscellaneous Components

Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Cherry MX Red Switch and Red LEDs (acquired)

Mouse: Corsair Gaming M65 RGB (acquired)

Fans: Undecided - all recommendations would be greatly appreciated

LED Strips: Undecided - all recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Cables: Undecided - all recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Prefer white, white/red, white/gray cables.

Please note, this list may change. Not all components are set in stone - at least that ones that haven't been purchased. If you have any recommendations on hardware that will make this better, I am all ears!

Current Sponsors:

fractaldesignblacklogo765x329.jpg

I'm so excited to start buying all the parts needed for this build, as well as document the build process. I've never formally done a build log, especially one this major. I'll be sure to create videos and include as many pictures as possible. I'm a huge fan of seeing pictures, so I'm sure you are too. 

Pictures coming soon...

Subbed. Are you gonna mod the case?

Spoiler

CPU intel potato2 | Motherboard xpotato69 | RAM DDRPotato | GPU potato 6969 Ti | Case potato curbiide | Storage WD potato GB grey | PSU lakesonic 69 potato Watts | Display(s)69" 0.5K potato 69*69 | Cooling 4 heatpipe fried potato | Keyboard 69 key potato switches | Mouse yukon gold potato | Sound 6.9 surround potato | Operating System OS69 potato

CPU I7 5700HQ |  RAM 8gb DDR3 | GPU GTX 960M | Storage 1 TB HGST HDD | Display 15.6" 1080p IPS panel | Keyboard Steelseries RGB | Operating System Windows 10

CPU R7 3800x |  RAM 32 GB 3200MHZ DDR4| GPU RX 5700XT Ref. | Storage 1TB m.2 NVME, 2x 500GB SSD, 4TB and 750gb hdd | Display LG 32GK850F-BKeyboard Aorus K7 with reds | PSU Corsair RM750X | Case Corsair 275R | Operating System Windows 10

Subbed. Are you gonna mod the case?

It's all going to depend on clearance issues and such. As of right now, the most "modding" I'll do to the case is paint. To my knowledge, there are some black components to the case that I'll be painting white.

Dope! Really looking forward to this. Now I need to do an X99 build! :P

FX-8350 | Asus Sabertooth 990fx r2.0 | 16 GB (2x8 1600Mhz) Corsair Vengeance | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC Dual | Corsair Vengeance C70 | 120GB Samsung EVO SSD, 1TB WD Black | Corsair AX860i | 2x BenQ XL2420TE | Corsair H110 | Logitech G15 | Logitech G500 | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Windows 8.1

Dope! Really looking forward to this. Now I need to do an X99 build! :P

Do it up! Your current build is dope, so having it as an X99 wouldn't hurt.  :)

Everyone, I need some recommendations for my SSD's. My good buddy SrgntBallisticGaming (Srgnt_Ballistic here on the forum) sent me this link for the SAMSUNG 850 EVO-Series MZ-75E250B/AM and it's only $95. I'm thinking about picking this up over any Crucial model as I've heard better things and is more in the budget. What are your opinions? Which should I get?

Here's the link to the deal, ends today!

Regardless of the fact, I'm picking up the SSD's today as I have some spare spending money for this weekend!

I have the 840 pro and love it. Also a couple other people have got the 850 evevos and seem to love them so I would say go for it.

Blarg

I have the 840 pro and love it. Also a couple other people have got the 850 evevos and seem to love them so I would say go for it.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I pulled the plug. :) 

You mean trigger?

Desktop: i7-5820K, SLI GTX 980 Ti, 16GB 2666MHz, H440

Laptop: Razer Blade 2015 QHD

You mean trigger?

Or I pulled the plug on the Crucial option and pulled the trigger on the Samsung option. :P But yes, it technically should say trigger and not plug. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Red-Arctic-Banner.jpg

So, it's finally time to give you guys a quick update. My Fractal Design Newton R3 White 1000W has officially landed at my front door.

Initial impressions, it looks extremely sexy. Obviously, white was the huge deciding factor on this PSU, but the fact is has Fractal's Snow Flake Logo on the top of the PSU made it an even easier choice. Since the setting is in the Arctic, I needed that snow!

Since this power supply is mostly modular, I'll be looking into getting some custom sleeves down the line. Right now, this is perfect to get my build going.

Again, I want to give a big thanks to Fractal Design for sponsoring this building and sending this power supply out to me. It truly means a lot.

Now, let's take a quick look at this sexy thing!

IMG_9860.jpg

IMG_9861.jpg

IMG_9863.jpg

IMG_9864.jpg

IMG_9865.jpgIMG_9867.jpgIMG_9868.jpgIMG_9869.jpgIMG_9870.jpgIMG_9871.jpgIMG_9872.jpgIMG_9873.jpgIMG_9874.jpgIMG_9875.jpgIMG_9876.jpgIMG_9877.jpgIMG_9878.jpg

Red-Arctic-Banner.jpg

Guess what guys, it's time for another update. Thanks to my awesome peeps at Fractal Design, my Fractal Design Define R5 White Windowed is now here!

Since it's been so long since I've dove into the custom PC building world, I forgot how large full cases are. The box drew me back a bit and made me realize, I might need a bigger desk for what I have in mind! Hey, I'm certainly not complaining.

Aside from the obvious video of this case, I'm a huge fan of the configurable HDD slots. Having the ability to quickly remove and relocate them is a huge plus. Especially since I'm planning on a custom water cooled loop. Overall, I'm really happy with the build quality and design of the Define R5.

I haven't had my fair share of time with the case, so I'll leave the review of this case for another day. Again, I want to quickly show my appreciation towards Fractal Design for sending this out to me, as well as being official sponsors of this build. Thank you!

For now, let's get some quick pictures!

IMG_9881.jpgIMG_9882.jpgIMG_9883.jpgIMG_9884.jpgIMG_9885.jpgIMG_9886.jpgIMG_9887.jpgIMG_9888.jpgIMG_9889.jpgIMG_9890.jpgIMG_9891.jpgIMG_9892.jpgIMG_9893.jpgIMG_9894.jpgIMG_9895.jpgIMG_9896.jpgIMG_9897.jpgIMG_9898.jpg

Curious, are you experiencing any problems running the i7-5820K with regard to its reduced PCI lanes and SLI over its brother chips?

Edit: my PC nearly has a seizure tying to load all those massive images lol

Nice pics Steve!

FX-8350 | Asus Sabertooth 990fx r2.0 | 16 GB (2x8 1600Mhz) Corsair Vengeance | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC Dual | Corsair Vengeance C70 | 120GB Samsung EVO SSD, 1TB WD Black | Corsair AX860i | 2x BenQ XL2420TE | Corsair H110 | Logitech G15 | Logitech G500 | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Windows 8.1

Curious, are you experiencing any problems running the i7-5820K with regard to its reduced PCI lanes and SLI over its brother chips?

Edit: my PC nearly has a seizure tying to load all those massive images lol

I wish I had an answer. I'm not using the i7-5820K right now. I'm using my MacBook Pro for all these updates. :P I will admit, they are pretty large images. 

Nice pics Steve!

Thanks, man! Hoping to get this build on its way.

I wish I had an answer. I'm not using the i7-5820K right now. I'm using my MacBook Pro for all these updates. :P I will admit, they are pretty large images. 

Thanks, man! Hoping to get this build on its way.

This page kills my phone. keeps crashing the browser on it. now that I am on my computer.

That looks like a case and a power supply. yep.

Very nice job with the photos though. What camera and lens are you using?

Just a friendly suggestion but I would put most of the images in a spoiler tag and just leave a few out because that resolution is murder to some. (one being my phone lol)

Blarg

This page kills my phone. keeps crashing the browser on it. now that I am on my computer.

Just a friendly suggestion but I would put most of the images in a spoiler tag and just leave a few out because that resolution is murder to some. (one being my phone lol)

Yeah Steve even on my PC it's taking a while to for me to load all the pics. I've been batch resizing all of mine down to around 1000 pixels on the longest side.

I'll be spending a large chunk of my day resizing and reuploading all my photos for you guys. Everyone is complaining about load times...I want them to load quick for you all!

Canon Rebel T4i

50mm f1/8

I'll be spending a large chunk of my day resizing and reuploading all my photos for you guys. Everyone is complaining about load times...I want them to load quick for you all!

Just use spoliers, then you dont need to resize

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 @1500mhz + 8000Mhz CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k Delided and Overclocked @4.8  MB: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII IMPACT  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory CPU Cooler: Corsair HG10+ H90 +H90 CASE: Corsair 380T  Storage: 120GB Samsung Evo SSD + Crucail 256GB Mx100 + 2TB Seagate/  OS: Windows 10 64bit Power supply:  Corsair RM750

• 4 weeks later...

So I love the build you are doing, I want to get a Fractal Design Define R5 White windowed case.  But the problem is, I can't find it anywhere?  Anybody got any ideas if or when it will be getting shipped to stores again?

So I love the build you are doing, I want to get a Fractal Design Define R5 White windowed case.  But the problem is, I can't find it anywhere?  Anybody got any ideas if or when it will be getting shipped to stores again?

I'll ask Fractal Josh. He said it has been purely because of demand and nothing to do with the port strikes or anything so hopefully will be in stock soon.

Thanks! Yeah, everyone seems to be having a hard time finding the R5. I believe the US is just limited on stock, especially with the launch of their new case. Hopefully Srgnt_Ballistic has an anwer since his last post. :)