Remember the days when it was actually AMD > Intel

i know , however amd>intel is saying intel is bigger then amd , amd<intel , is saying amd is smaller then intel . get where im going lol sorry >.< randomness of old math classes jumping back

So, AMD > Intel means Intel is bigger

-and-

AMD < Intel means AMD is smaller

You just said the exact same thing for two different phrasings.

Remember from your math class, the carrot opens towards the larger of the two items. Ex. 8 > 7.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

I think you got them backwards, remember the < is like an alligator it's mouth opens to the biggest item. 

oops my bad xD yea 

So, AMD > Intel means Intel is bigger

-and-

AMD < Intel means AMD is smaller

You just said the exact same thing for two different phrasings.

Remember from your math class, the carrot opens towards the larger of the two items. Ex. 8 > 7.

sorry i just realized that i was getting it backwards lol ... slightly dyslexic /tired / stupid :P 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

I had an Athlon 64 3400+, so I certainly remember. Those were interesting times.. as I recall, Intel was in panic mode and had to re-brand a Xeon as the Pentium 4 Extreme Edition just to stay competitive. But am I nostalgic? I wouldn't go that far.

I don't feel like I have any stake in whether AMD or Intel are doing better than the other. It's just a matter of facts. I just want good products, and right now Intel's got them.

I still have a machine running an Athlon 64 3200+.  Still runs to this day, actually just changed out the fans in the case recently.  Some good times playing Everquest on that machine.  Good times.

I miss Everquest.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I still have a machine running an Athlon 64 3200+.  Still runs to this day, actually just changed out the fans in the case recently.  Some good times playing Everquest on that machine.  Good times.

I miss Everquest.

Mine still runs as well. That rig is now at my grandmother's house for her to play solitaire on. Fitting and poetic for my old PC to spend it's own retirement in such a way. :P

I got a Atlhon 64 3800+ Venice @ 2.4 GHz in my closet that will mop the floor with a P4 @ 3.4 GHz :P

P4 northwood or prescott/cedarmill?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

AMD was technically competitive even before they had their moment in the sun matching Intel in market share. There was quite a few times they caught Intel with a surprise left jab. The k6-2 was a chip Intel didn't take seriously until it started to chip away from their entry level and mainstream shares. Then the caught Intel in a bad way with the release of the Athlon. Intel had yield problems with their coppermine p3's and AMD was more than happy to scoop up a healthy helping of OEMs. And, of course, there was the famous race to 1GHZ back when clock speed still mattered. And then they kept a performance lead with k7 through to when clock speed started to not matter though the PR system naming scheme confused the market and may have hindered AMD's market performance at the time. 

And, as mentioned, the venerable Athlon64. At the time, you were pretty much an idiot if you didn't have one. But, even at that time, I remember going with a girlfriend to help her shop for a PC (she wouldn't let me build her one because she wanted a warranty and blah blah but she's blowing me pretty regular so who am I to argue?) and the guy trying to get her to buy an Intel machine against my advice because "Intel's just better". 

And that's been a problem for AMD. They never managed to win over the general public. Even when they were at their peak they were never able to command the market. 

I remember the quick death of the socket 939 due to the unsubstantiated claims that DDR2 would set the world ablaze. Even though every benchmark showed little benefit to DDR2 at the time, AMD had to kill off the socket anyway because the fanboys were really reaching for a reason to shit on AMD. 

Reputation has always been a problem for the company. That's why I've said in another thread before, I don't think Zen potentially being amazing is enough. Even if it stomps everything Intel has currently into the dirt you have to ask yourself; how many people will be willing to pay AMD the kind of prices Intel can currently demand for a product? It's not just a matter of a technical disadvantage AMD needs to overcome. They need a better PR and marketing strategy to go with it. They've already proven, in this market, it's not how good you are, it's how good the public thinks you are. 

You don't need to get me to buy your chip. You need to get that guy who goes to the Youtube comment section and spams every forum with "FUK AMD IS SUX INTEL RULZ IF U BY AMD UR A FAG LOLZ" to buy it. 

dude what AGE were you? you would have had to be so young when this was happening

dude what AGE were you? you would have had to be so young when this was happening

My first PC was the ENIAC. 

Miss those days, it was exciting when new CPUs came out, now AMD has stopped competing on serious level and Intel just sits on new stuff that they wont give up, just release basicly same trash every year, miss those AMD golden days real bad.

Reputation has always been a problem for the company. That's why I've said in another thread before, I don't think Zen potentially being amazing is enough. Even if it stomps everything Intel has currently into the dirt you have to ask yourself; how many people will be willing to pay AMD the kind of prices Intel can currently demand for a product? It's not just a matter of a technical disadvantage AMD needs to overcome. They need a better PR and marketing strategy to go with it. They've already proven, in this market, it's not how good you are, it's how good the public thinks you are. 

You don't need to get me to buy your chip. You need to get that guy who goes to the Youtube comment section and spams every forum with "FUK AMD IS SUX INTEL RULZ IF U BY AMD UR A FAG LOLZ" to buy it. 

This is honestly the biggest problem AMD faces, and one that doesn't have an immediate solution.  Both Intel and Nvidia have positioned themselves as "premium" brands.

It's not enough to just offer value or great products.  They have to convince people of the brand and that has always been an issue even before the last few years.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

I have faith on Zen

AMD 860K @ 4.3GHz ; Kingston HyperX Fury 2400MHz ; Asus A88XM-Plus ; Sapphire R9 270X 2GB ; 600W Tacens Radix VII AG 80+Silver  ; Cooler Master TX3 Evo

Prescott was such a mistake for Intel.

The 'sudden prescott death syndrome'? And wasn't netburst as a whole a mistake?

PMSL

I remember when Intel tried to make a GPU, it was awkward cause no one even noticed it between all the voodoo's and the ATi rages

What a disaster

Also, Athlon 64x2 > everything else back in the day

I remember when Intel tried to make a GPU, it was awkward cause no one even noticed it between all the voodoo's and the ATi rages

What a disaster

Also, Athlon 64x2 > everything else back in the day

The i740. I had one. No, I didn't pay for it. lol

It was left in some piece of junk that was given to me. 

My god it's been a lifetime since i've heard it's name

Too bad, imagine if Intel became a major GPU maker 

We'd have things like this 

INTC_KnightsFerry_Board2_68.jpg

I only set eyes on a 740 once. I wasn't that impressed.

For those who have no clue: http://vintage3d.org/i740.php#sthash.ZogGSdsv.dpbs

PMSL

The 'sudden prescott death syndrome'? And wasn't netburst as a whole a mistake?

Well yes, but Northwood was alright in its time, Prescott went up against K8 and was slower than Northwood clock for clock (31 stage pipeline) and it was a one way slaughter.

Well yes, but Northwood was alright in its time, Prescott went up against K8 and was slower than Northwood clock for clock (31 stage pipeline) and it was a one way slaughter.

Oh. So that's why.

PMSL