So I built a keyboard

Zifle

Hello there, new to the forum, but I assumed some of you might be interested in this.

So a few months ago, I set out to build my own keyboard. Some due to the experience of it, some because I wanted to try the HHKB layout, but can't drop the money on one.
So then I started.

First things first, mapping out the key layout:
zyTNX1k.png

I ended up swapping the place of left alt, and super, due to keycap availability. In the end, it also does make more sense, comparing it to normal key positions.

Designing the plate, and case, for the keyboard was pretty simple. Five layers of 3mm acrylic gives a good height, and plenty of room for wires inside.
g5lo0ech.png

Next was the wiring. I whipped up a quick diagram for it.
lmm8JLQh.png
... A little too quick, as I discovered too late that the diodes should be reversed...

The keycaps arrived, and it was time to figure out which keys were to be used. I made a few changes to this afterwards, but it has the general feel of it.
7JarLiqh.jpg

The cuts arrived not too long after, and I could start putting it together!
vAcqG7Wh.jpg
4r5VBS9h.jpg
I'm using MX Jailhouse Blues for it (which are absolutely awesome!), lubed and stickered.

I got the layers in smoke-coloured acrylic. It looks absolutely fantastic with my keycaps of choice!
s734dGhh.jpg

I started soldering away....
pKIjhVmh.jpg
aiIDB84h.jpg
Almost done with the matrix (Except for the reversed diodes).

Now for the controller
696V3Xsh.jpg
I chopped up a usb cable, to have a small footprint, that could fit between the switches. It extends out of the body of the case, so it's a more flexible detachable cable.

HWSapEjh.jpg
I use a Teensy 2 as the controller. Five rows, and 15 columns gives a lot of spaghetti to manage, but a bit of organization made it somewhat trivial. The firmware is a fork of Hasu's TMK_Keyboard firmware

KmcJ0R9h.jpg
And there it is, all soldered up and done! Except for a few missing screws, those should be in the mail within a couple of days.

svd4FqTh.jpg
You can see the wires going to each of the columns, neatly tucked away. Okay, maybe not so neatly, but consider it a prototype!

And with keycaps, on the desk...
l20R8u7h.jpg
EeY5ZEph.jpg

Edited for more photos !:
GQJTuF1h.jpg
drsKiTmh.jpg
OUp0G3vh.jpg
W3n5p8uh.jpg
bPZM7dJh.jpg
Rg3q8z4h.jpg

So, conclusion time!
In hindsight, I shouldn't have bothered with easy-swap holes for the switches. The reality of it is, since the plate is twice as thick as recommended, and there's no pcb, the switches aren't held down nearly as much as one would want. I've been using it for a couple of hours, and it's not an issue for far majority of the keys, although the backspace is pretty loose.
The middle of the board could also use some support from underneath, as putting the G and H keycaps on, especially, was a little frightening. But it worked out in the end, and it's not much of an issue for normal use. I don't usually put 300g+ weight on the middle keys.

With that said, for the limited time I've been using this, I absolutely love it! I've ordered a aluminum plate, and steel bottom, which should add some good weight, and general durability to the keyboard, even though it might have a negative effect on the overall looks.

Wow that's really nice. I'll take two.  ^_^

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Great work dude, that's really tidy. I wish I had so much patience.

disappointing you used cherry switches.

I plan to try a board with microswitches once I get my 3d printer.

I just have to figure out how to stick a cherry keycap onto a microswitch.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

disappointing you used cherry switches.

I plan to try a board with microswitches once I get my 3d printer.

why is it disappointing?

too long of a keypress, and every keyboard has cherry.

gotta try something new, lol.

it does look nice, and I like the keycaps, was it a group buy on GH?

and is the spacebar backwards?

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

The space bar looks like it's a Cherry profile one that he mounted in reverse purposely.

How much did the keyboard cost you overall?

Around $150 total I think, although I used switches from my qfr, so that kept it down a little.

The space bar looks like it's a Cherry profile one that he mounted in reverse purposely.

Correct, since it's flat on the table, the DCS spacebar is quite sharp when sat normally. Reversed, it's extremely comfy.

too long of a keypress, and every keyboard has cherry.

gotta try something new, lol.

it does look nice, and I like the keycaps, was it a group buy on GH?

and is the spacebar backwards?

The jailhouse blues has reduced travel, in that it places the bump right at the top of the key. It's not the same experience as normal blues.

Yes, the keycaps are from the Doubleshot Replacements Round 4 GB. If I had a set of dolch caps, those would get thrown on instantly. I've been contemplating getting a set from Originative for a while ...

holy crap dude! That looks awesome! You actually made your own keyboard.... all kinds of epic...

i think that is the first time i have seen the columns with the diodes looks nice is it using the tmk gh60 firmware? I'm working on one right now but i have to change the firmware up a bit to work with my matrix.

Great job!

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Veriy nice!

CPU:

Intel Core i5 2500k - Motherboard: Asus maximus iv gene-z - RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance Blue 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - GPU: ASUS GTX 770 DirectCU II
Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 II - Storage: Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate barracuda 3TB PSU: XFX 650W XXX Edition Modular PSU - Keyboard: Ducky Shine 2 Pro
Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 - Sound: Razer Characias

Wow. Talent is strong here lol.

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

Oh my! That's one sweet looking DIY KB! :wub:  The Force is strong with this one! 'Grats on pulling off a very nice looking DIY! B)

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

i think that is the first time i have seen the columns with the diodes looks nice is it using the tmk gh60 firmware? I'm working on one right now but i have to change the firmware up a bit to work with my matrix.

As a matter of fact, I am! I forked the repo, and copied the gh60 files over, so I could modify (I do use a slightly different matrix). You can check it out https://github.com/zifle/tmk_keyboard/tree/master/keyboard/hzh'>here if you're interested

How did you cut that board that held the switches? Would it be possible to buy one of those frames from you?

I'm afraid it would not, I got the layers lasercut from a guy over at Geekhack (Acidfire). I would like, however, to remind you of the third last paragraph I wrote in OP, as 3mm plates really are not ideal, but can easily work if you have something to hold the switches down, from underneath, such as a pcb. If not, you should try to get a plate in 1.5mm of some metal.

Thanks for all the feedback, it's heartwarming!

Very nice keyboard!

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Corsair AF120 - 2x Noctua NF-F12 - 3 x Noctua NF-S12

Dell S2417DG - Dell UH2515H 

Are there gonna be more pictures of the final product?

CPU:

Intel Core i5 2500k - Motherboard: Asus maximus iv gene-z - RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance Blue 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - GPU: ASUS GTX 770 DirectCU II
Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 II - Storage: Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate barracuda 3TB PSU: XFX 650W XXX Edition Modular PSU - Keyboard: Ducky Shine 2 Pro
Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 - Sound: Razer Characias

Very clean, very stylish. I dig it.

How much of a pain was the wiring?

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

Are there gonna be more pictures of the final product?

Yeah, please more pics.....gonna have to get a new pack of tissue paper/Kleenex at the ready.... :P :D .

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

That is very cool.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-