Keep pursing Software Engineer or change back to Video Game's Programming?

Ryou-kun

Hello LTT,

My original major to pursue was Video Game's Programming until I change it to Computer Science/Software Engineer because I read that Video Game's Programming doesn't have a degree.

Which it was a bit disappointing, however, so I decide to take the Programming I class for Computer Science/Software Engineer to see what it is like. My Professor was using

Microsoft Visual Studio C++ 2012 Express and man was it difficult. Yes, I did failed the class with a D. I did want to keep going for Computer Science/Software Engineer because there is a HUGE demands for them and they get pay a lot which it is a win-win for me. Sadly, I have no motivation for taking the class or keep going like I don't have any loves for them just that I want to get an "easy accepted job" due to huge demands for it. 

I decide I might roll back to Video Game's Programming, but I am not sure about it. Do I like games? Yes.

Even after my high school video game's programming class, I still get this sort of aerial of view on how to connect the puzzles of programmings like I know how to program it but not specific details.

However, I still did okay with the programming. I mean it was confusing at first even I finish the HS class, but I did slowly put the puzzles back together.

By programmings, I mean the syntax. 

Right now, I don't know how to feel about it, so I would like the people from LTT to give me an opinions/thoughts about it.

I know it is up to me, but I need some kind of idea or motivation to either keep trying Software Engineer or change it to Video Game's Programming.

I don't know. Any help? :P

At the moment I am doing programing class and this is my first semester and for me it's easy because I have 3 years experience doing another language.the one thing I did fine was when I program games like in unity3d it's harder then doing a program in visual Studio. The thing is programing is all about thinking of solutions it does not matter if your doing it in video games or in a desktop program. If you still want to do programing in video games or in visual Studio they both will need the same work you will just be using a different languages and use different syntax. The best way to get better with programing is to practice.

Hope this helped you make a choice

Needs Update

This might not apply to you in your country. But I am soon finished with computer engineering/software engineering (not sure what it equals to in universities in other countries, I learn programming, and math), and a friend of mine is one year behind me on video game programming. From what he tells me it seems like they miss out on quite usual stuff that you I have learned in my study. So to me it looks like the best way to go is first software and than take a year with some game specific subjects. Going the other way would be harder.
Of course this could just be the school he is attending, sometimes I just suspect the teachers for being bad, and not that the course it self is supposed to be that bad :P

It might also just be him, of course, but there have been a lot of important stuff that I have had to teach him. Like Git

I took a Video Game Design course last year, and I learned a lot from that. Also I learned that making a game in Unity was fully possible with only software programming experience. I feel that starting working on games won't be that hard for me. But for him to start making websites, programs or apps. I think he would need a lot of help to get started

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

I don't think a video game degree will get you anywhere. I think its more of a money grab. Also game studios don't list video game programming degree's on the requirements for applying since a degree like that will most likely be limited to a very specific tool or set of tools. They want people who are well educated with programming theory with industry experience. (A lot of studios are 5+ years just to be looked at.) And potentially on top  of that (depending on the roll at the company) they will want some one with a specialization in CS/CE such as Graphics programming. 

If you're having troubles learning programming or understanding it I suggest you find a new schooling/career path because actual game and game engine programming learning curve is extremely difficult. Thats my opinion but its still your future so do what ever you think is right for you.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Sounds like pursuing a programming degree of any kind is a bad idea. You pretty much failed your first programming class AND you don't particularly enjoy it.

Sounds like pursuing a programming degree of any kind is a bad idea. You pretty much failed your first programming class AND you don't particularly enjoy it.

This. Trust me, if you are unhappy doing something every day, you won't even care about the salary. But C++ is a very trick language and there are others that are a lot more fun like python. Also, because you like games doesn't mean you like to make games. People do this all the time assuming that it is the perfect thing to do, but that is not always the case. Just something to keep in mind.

Hmm, what about web design/programming?

I have took that class before in HS, and I enjoy it because it has imagination, programming, etc.

I did extremely well in that class.

Sadly, I doubt there is a lot of web designer/programmer when there is a lot of programs or software that can make it easy to create webs.

I have use the NotePad.

Although I am not great at programming, I do enjoy typing, so I thought programming might work. :P

Then again, it might be too early to decide.

I don't know. :S

Just because a job is in demand does not mean its easy getting a job in the field. In programming you have to be passionate about what you do and must be willing to pick up and learn new things, the fact of the matter is that its an ever evolving field where you have to be on top of your game to stay competitive.

To be honest you are going at this for all the wrong reasons. Just because a job is high paying does mean you should go pursue it. I will also let you in on a little secret. THE DEGREE NEVER GETS YOU THE JOB.....ever, it gets you past the HR department but that is it. Its all about what you can bring to the table from experience and personal projects, which is why most programmers have a software portfolio of stuff that they worked on from weekend projects to full software job work.

I have 1 semester left in my college career, it was long and grueling work even with being passionate about what I do, the upper level computer science classes will eat you alive if you cant make it past the first programming classes. On top of that I have had 4 separate internships to make sure I can get a job and I have the experience necessary. The only thing you have right in your post is that there is a high demand for those with experience and the skillset.

Im not trying to be rude but rather want to heavily warn you so that you can sit down and consider your options.

Just because a job is in demand does not mean its easy getting a job in the field. In programming you have to be passionate about what you do and must be willing to pick up and learn new things, the fact of the matter is that its an ever evolving field where you have to be on top of your game to stay competitive.

To be honest you are going at this for all the wrong reasons. Just because a job is high paying does mean you should go pursue it. I will also let you in on a little secret. THE DEGREE NEVER GETS YOU THE JOB.....ever, it gets you past the HR department but that is it. Its all about what you can bring to the table from experience and personal projects, which is why most programmers have a software portfolio of stuff that they worked on from weekend projects to full software job work.

I have 1 semester left in my college career, it was long and grueling work even with being passionate about what I do, the upper level computer science classes will eat you alive if you cant make it past the first programming classes. On top of that I have had 4 separate internships to make sure I can get a job and I have the experience necessary. The only thing you have right in your post is that there is a high demand for those with experience and the skillset.

Im not trying to be rude but rather want to heavily warn you so that you can sit down and consider your options.

Do you think it is possible that each Software could have its own difficulty?

Like if C++ is slightly harder than another Software like Java, Python, etc.

If so, then what do you think that it is an easy Software to program for beginner?

Hmm, I do like an idea that I can create my own software for personal uses.

Do you think it is possible that each Software could have its own difficulty?

Like if C++ is slightly harder than another Software like Java, Python, etc.

If so, then what do you think that it is an easy Software to program for beginner?

Hmm, I do like an idea that I can create my own software for personal uses.

The question you pose sounds simple enough but it is as deep as an ocean when it comes to detailed theory on programming languages.

For starters programming is an abstraction from machine language, the more abstraction you have the easier it is to learn a particular language as various complexities are hidden from the programmer in order to focus on the overall design and implementation of software. However with more abstraction comes a sizable decrease in performance as its the job of the computer to take the abstraction back to machine language that it can understand. This only scratches the surface as there are differences in syntax that can make a language harder or easier to learn. this topic is the core of alot of computer science theory courses and is the premise of computing language design.

From abstraction level the most complex to least complex would be:

1. Binary

2: Machine Code

3. Assembly

4. C/C++

5. Java/C#

6. Python/Ruby

7. VB

Now I will first mention that learning software development is extremely hard as you have to think like a machine. It requires a different method of thinking, one where each individual step is taken down no matter how small and there is nothing assumed. For a beginner I would say Java/C# would be your best bet as you don't have to deal with memory management directly and there are no pointers (unless you declare unsafe code).

The question you pose sounds simple enough but it is as deep as an ocean when it comes to detailed theory on programming languages.

For starters programming is an abstraction from machine language, the more abstraction you have the easier it is to learn a particular language as various complexities are hidden from the programmer in order to focus on the overall design and implementation of software. However with more abstraction comes a sizable decrease in performance as its the job of the computer to take the abstraction back to machine language that it can understand. This only scratches the surface as there are differences in syntax that can make a language harder or easier to learn. this topic is the core of alot of computer science theory courses and is the premise of computing language design.

From abstraction level the most complex to least complex would be:

1. Binary

2: Machine Code

3. Assembly

4. C/C++

5. Java/C#

6. Python/Ruby

7. VB

Now I will first mention that learning software development is extremely hard as you have to think like a machine. It requires a different method of thinking, one where each individual step is taken down no matter how small and there is nothing assumed. For a beginner I would say Java/C# would be your best bet as you don't have to deal with memory management directly and there are no pointers (unless you declare unsafe code).

Oh, I am aware it is difficult. I don't mean easy as in like I can learn it overnight and expect to become a professional Software Engineer. Just saying, which feels a bit "easier" to learn than others.

I guess I will give it a thought.

I think it might have been I was fresh out in Programming after a long year or two without programming thus it makes it a bit difficult or confusing at first.

Hmm, I might give it another try and see how well I perform.