Frequent PC "freezes"

Arucad

Hello, I have a problem with my pc. I think might be affecting the gaming performance of my rig. Here's what the problem is like:

• I come home after work, boot PC and go to have a snack or sth.

• 15min later I start using my PC when it happens

• Desktop looks fully functional, except for when I try to launch any application (browser, games, win explorer window or anything in that matter) nothing happens. The duration of this is like 20-30 seconds, after which all the commands that I've tried to execute, launch all at once.

• after that everything works as normal

• this also happens sometimes when I close a game or when I alt tab of one to look something in the browser.

• I can look at the pages already open on my browser, I can open new tabs, but they don't load anything (just the rotating loading animation is active).

• again, 20-30 sec later everything goes back to normal.

Specs:

• AMD FX8320 stock settings
  • CPU cooler - CM 412 Evo (not the slim one)
  • 2x4GB DDR3 Kingston HyperX 1866
  • ASUS R9-270 2GB DDR5
  • Kingston v300 120GB SSD
  • Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm 3.5"
  • FSP Builder series 550W Bronze certified
  • ASrock 990FX Extreme3
  • CM N400

I've replaced the thermal paste on the CPU two days ago and it keeps doing it.

Problem appears both under load and without any. Both temperatures of the CPU and GPU are staying low at all times.

Using Windows 7 Pro x64

Computer never freezes like that during gaming, although I sometimes have drops in framerate but only in games that are known to have such Issues (FarCry 4 and such). I also have problems with GTA5, my framerate drops from steady 60 fps to below 20 with significantly lower than recommended settings.

I am using the latest AMD drivers.

The problem has been a part of this machine ever since it's built, but I didn't have much time to deal with problems that aren't crucial. Lately though It's been getting on my nerves.

I am sorry for the wall'o'text and I would appreciate any input. Thank you in advance.

-snip-

it's either a corrupt os, a virus or a damaged psu (it's most likely a virus because it's happened to me before) just get avira or avast and malwarebytes and see if that helps

I've heard that PSU problem should make my PC just stop, not behave so weirdly. It should not lower performance, only reduce system stability, which causes BSOD and stuff of the sort, which I've never experienced on this rig. I ran malware bytes last night and it didn't find anything, I will run avira tonight when I get back home and then I will post feedback.

I've heard that PSU problem should make my PC just stop, not behave so weirdly. It should not lower performance, only reduce system stability, which causes BSOD and stuff of the sort, which I've never experienced on this rig. I ran malware bytes last night and it didn't find anything, I will run avira tonight when I get back home and then I will post feedback.

Your description of the problem seems to fit with a problem I had previously. I had a damaged sata cable and it caused frequent freezes although games would still play. Browsers stop loading the page even though I can click it. Explorer also becomes unresponsive. I urge you to do a check on both your SSD and HDD. Also swap out the sata cable with a fresh new one to see if the problem still persists.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Your description of the problem seems to fit with a problem I had previously. I had a damaged sata cable and it caused frequent freezes although games would still play. Browsers stop loading the page even though I can click it. Explorer also becomes unresponsive. I urge you to do a check on both your SSD and HDD. Also swap out the sata cable with a fresh new one to see if the problem still persists.

I will firstly reinstall the OS and if the problem persists I will swap out the sata cables, I have two new ones sitting in their bags, unopened.

OK I just reinstalled Windows and it did it again. Gonna change the Sata Cables after I'm done installing sh*t.

yeah i bet its something with the HHD and or SSD

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

yeah i bet its something with the HHD and or SSD

Well, if this doesn't fix it, I am going to memtest my hdd and sdd, but HDD gonna be tomorrow while I am at work.

Running Memtest86, while I am at work today.I have the feeling I am going to have to replace my psu :(

Memtest showed no problems, however the Event Viewer started spewing some things:
http://i.imgur.com/EQtPSn8.png

These match the times and the duration of the freezes.

Any1 has any ideas how can I do something to make this stop happening?

Memtest showed no problems, however the Event Viewer started spewing some things:

http://i.imgur.com/EQtPSn8.png

These match the times and the duration of the freezes.

Any1 has any ideas how can I do something to make this stop happening?

It might have something to do with that V300 SSD. Everyone on LTT avoids that SSD like cancer. It has been known to slow down fast. 

Or you might want to try a different SATA port on your motherboard. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

It might have something to do with that V300 SSD. Everyone on LTT avoids that SSD like cancer. It has been known to slow down fast. 

Or you might want to try a different SATA port on your motherboard. 

I did switch the SATA Port, but it happened once more, yesterday. I did read this thing though, and I am really sad now :(