How to Convince Parents?

REX.exe

So I'm building a new PC soon. I have built PCs before but they've never been this expensive and Australia is the WORST place for buying PC parts.

If you'd like to follow the build log go here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/356527-noir/#entry4854151

My parents aren't very fond of computers, they have a custom built one I made for them.

The whole thing costs around $2100 AUD including monitor. I was telling my Dad about how I managed to save $125 on my GPU by finding a 290X for $400. Once I said $400, he wasn't pleased. He didn't get angry, he just said "$400? You don't need to spend that much Rex!" 
(Yes Rex is my name)

I haven't even told him how much the whole rig will cost all up, I'm paying for all of it, they may contribute a bit but I really need to know how I can get my parents to let me go ahead with this. Some excuses you've used or some ways to lower the price would be appreciated.

Thank you.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

Well i'm in the same situation with a motorbike. Tell them that if they pay for the whole thing, yep you read right, the whole thing but then you get a job and pay them back in full or 3/4 of it if they have already contributed for it. 

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

So I'm building a new PC soon. I have built PCs before but they've never been this expensive and Australia is the WORST place for buying PC parts.

If you'd like to follow the build log go here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/356527-noir/#entry4854151

My parents aren't very fond of computers, they have a custom built one I made for them.

The whole thing costs around $2100 AUD including monitor. I was telling my Dad about how I managed to save $125 on my GPU by finding a 290X for $400. Once I said $400, he wasn't pleased. He didn't get angry, he just said "$400? You don't need to spend that much Rex!" 

(Yes Rex is my name)

I haven't even told him how much the whole rig will cost all up, I'm paying for all of it, they may contribute a bit but I really need to know how I can get my parents to let me go ahead with this. Some excuses you've used or some ways to lower the price would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Well which parent doesn't want better for their kids and want them to save money for anything that may come up. My parents don't mind spending 50 grand on a car for me but if I told them one of these things with a fan on it (GPU) is around 500CAD, they're gonna flip shit. Gonna flip harder cause I have two.

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

Annoy them for a long time. And then promise to not annoy them any more if they get you the computer. <- That may work, but to be honest...

Tell them why you need it. Give real-world comparisons to your current PC.

Give him the prices when deals roll around.

Or, just start to save up the money and split it half/half.

Well i'm in the same situation with a motorbike. Tell them that if they pay for the whole thing, yep you read right, the whole thing but then you get a job and pay them back in full or 3/4 of it if they have already contributed for it. 

This sounds really lame, but I'm not old enough for a job. :P

Unfortunately IGA looks at birth certificates so I can't trick them into thinking I'm 14. 

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

Tell them that you're an adult. That you will pay with your own money and it's for your wellbeing. (Your hobby makes you happy)

Unfortunately I'm not an adult. 

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

This sounds really lame, but I'm not old enough for a job. :P

Unfortunately IGA looks at birth certificates so I can't trick them into thinking I'm 14. 

Mcdonalds? Cutting peoples lawns? A local plants shop (Plants Plus is where i might get employed) 

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

Annoy them for a long time. And then promise to not annoy them any more if they get you the computer. <- That may work, but to be honest...

Tell them why you need it. Give real-world comparisons to your current PC.

Give him the prices when deals roll around.

Or, just start to save up the money and split it half/half.

Annoying them will just make them mad. I don't want them to pay for it, I just want them to let me pay for it.

Hopefully with the upcoming release of the 300 series the 290X will drop. Hopefully. It's the most expensive part of the PC excluding the monitor.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

Mcdonalds? Cutting peoples lawns? A local plants shop (Plants Plus is where i might get employed)

I have been doing work for people. But I broke my laptop (AKA my current rig)'s LCD monitor and I have to pay about $100 for a new screen. They had to pay for the rest of it so I don't think they'll want to contribute much. Hopefully I can just prolong the time and they'll eventually forget I owe them. 

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

Can't really make shit except for chump change cutting peoples lawns nowadays... Idk about AU tho but in Vancouver, if don't live at home. Good fucking luck. Rent is around 1k for One Bedroom and Living room and bathroom. Kitchen if you're lucky. 

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

Annoying them will just make them mad. I don't want them to pay for it, I just want them to let me pay for it.

Hopefully with the upcoming release of the 300 series the 290X will drop. Hopefully. It's the most expensive part of the PC excluding the monitor.

Alright. Than don't annoy them.

Well which parent doesn't want better for their kids and want them to save money for anything that may come up. My parents don't mind spending 50 grand on a car for me but if I told them one of these things with a fan on it (GPU) is around 500CAD, they're gonna flip shit. Gonna flip harder cause I have two.

It's not they don't want the better for me. It's just they don't want me to go blowing $2100 on my new build, we aren't a rich family so it's not really ideal to tell them I'm spending 2 grand on a PC xD

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

It's not they don't want the better for me. It's just they don't want me to go blowing $2100 on my new build, we aren't a rich family so it's not really ideal to tell them I'm spending 2 grand on a PC xD

Exactly, not ideal, you don't really need it, its just to feed your hobby. They would rather have you spend that money on college or something more important. 

Main Rig

XENON Build:  

Office Build:

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

Can't really make shit except for chump change cutting peoples lawns nowadays... Idk about AU tho but in Vancouver, if don't live at home. Good fucking luck. Rent is around 1k for One Bedroom and Living room and bathroom. Kitchen if you're lucky. 

I was actually making about $10 an hour working for a neighbor until some of the weeds I was pulling out made my eczema inflamed. I haven't gone back there for a while now. And now that the rains starting again it's going to become even harder to do work there.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

Exactly, not ideal, you don't really need it, its just to feed your hobby. They would rather have you spend that money on college or something more important. 

I'm ages away from college. There's no college in Australia anyway.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

Maybe you shouldn't go overkill on a build?

I would much rather not tell them that it's going to cost $2100 and just tell them how much each part I'm saving up for at the time will cost. Like right now I'm about to order my Phanteks Enthoo Pro. I told my Dad about the H100i and how amazing it is and how it was $170 and he seemed fine about it.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

Maybe you shouldn't go overkill on a build?

Is my build really that overkill?

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

I'm ages away from college. There's no college in Australia anyway.

Save up for a place? Car? idk but either way I'd just grab the PC and your parents will have to accept the fact you spent 2100 and later on they'll forget about it. I somehow managed to spend almost 5k on my build and I told them I spent $800. 

Main Rig

XENON Build:  

Office Build:

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

Well, if you can do without the graphics card for a while and just use the integrated Intel graphics, you can save a sizable amount which would make it easier to swallow for your parents. By the time you decided to get a graphics card, hopefully 4-5 months, prices might come down and AMD might have their new cards out. 

"2.1K" Only spent 800USD/1K AUD on mine. Just get some lower end hardware so it wouldn't be that pricey. 

Have some excuse that you were using some shitty hardware for a long time.

I upgraded from a AMD Athlon 64 X2 1.9GHZ that i was using for 7 years to a AMD FX 8320. 

Save up for a place? Car? idk but either way I'd just grab the PC and your parents will have to accept the fact you spent 2100 and later on they'll forget about it. I somehow managed to spend almost 5k on my build and I told them I spent $800. 

What? How in the hell did you do that?

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

Is my build really that overkill?

well no.. but seeing as you're not anywhere near an adult nor going into college I don't see why you would need that. I'm pretty sure your parents don't want you to blow 2100$ on a gaming machine anyways..