Building PC for Video Editing/Light Gaming for £500

Hey guys,

Building my first PC mainly for video editing and some gaming on the side. My budget is £500, but I'm willing to go reasonably over budget if it results in a better build. For editing purposes, I'm looking to be able to work and render on Adobe Premiere and After Effects (CS6 in this case) without any hitches; the main thing is that the system doesn't slow down while I'm working on both programs simultaneously and for the rendering times and quality to be reasonably good. In terms of gaming, I'd like to be able to run games like GTA V, etc. on medium settings (as long as it doesn't stutter, really).

Here's the parts list I have so far:

CPU

AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor

Motherboard

Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard

Memory

Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage

Transcend SSD370 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

and

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card

EVGA Geforce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card

Case

NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply

EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply

Wireless Network Adapter

TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter

Here's a link to the pcpartpicker list:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/cradlea/saved/bQG6Mp

So far, this build totals up to £525. I'd really appreciate some feedback on whether this build is good for what I need it for and any recommendations that can improve it in terms of price or quality.

Thanks!

go for an I5 4690k and either a 750ti or an R9 270x, Adoe software wont utilize your GPU and doesnt do well with AMD processors

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

go for an I5 4690k and either a 750ti or an R9 270x, Adoe software wont utilize your GPU and doesnt do well with AMD processors

Well if you compare the 4690k with the 6300, the AMD Cpu makes much more Sence if you cant go with at least a Intel Cpu wich works with Multithreading. :) (At this price point of course)

99 Kid. Yes. A 'Youngster'.

World famous Couchpotatoe.

Well if you compare the 4690k with the 6300, the AMD Cpu makes much more Sence if you cant go with at least a Intel Cpu wich works with Multithreading. :) (At this price point of course)

Adobe software cannot use more than 2 threads, and the 4690k, which has 4 threads, has much more powerful cores than the 6300, even though TOTAL power across all cores might not differ.

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

Um, CUDA...

Steve

Um, CUDA...

last i checked, Adobe software will not utilize CUDA to render, if i am wrong, will you please provide a link to prove this?

also, a 750ti still has CUDA

Solitaire. 

it does use  CUDA

id get an i5 4460 with a cheap ass H81 mobo

the $50 increase to the 4690k is worth it

Solitaire. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor (£142.46 @ Ebuyer)

Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£32.36 @ Scan.co.uk)

Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£49.99 @ Amazon UK)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£42.90 @ Amazon UK)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card (£157.12 @ Ebuyer)

Case: Zalman T1U3 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£21.93 @ Overclockers.co.uk)

Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£38.94 @ Aria PC)

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter (£12.98 @ Aria PC)

Total: £498.68

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-29 18:59 BST+0100

Steve

last i checked, Adobe software will not utilize CUDA to render, if i am wrong, will you please provide a link to prove this?

I know from my own personal experience it uses my 760.

Steve

What kind of content are you working on?

Adobe software cannot use more than 2 threads, and the 4690k, which has 4 threads, has much more powerful cores than the 6300, even though TOTAL power across all cores might not differ.

No. Adobe programs are usually the first example of multi-threaded applications.. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-performance-comparison,3370-13.html

Yes, some Adobe programs can utilize cuda for acceleration. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-780-performance-review,3516-26.html

Adobe programs haven't been optimized well for the 750 Ti yet.

id get an i5 4460 with a cheap ass H81 mobo

The motherboard bios would need to be updated before using the 4460.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It does and I know from first hand experience !

I know that just like years ago intell was way behind amd , now amd is falling behind intel . That being said , spouting negative drivel about amd just like an intel fanboy is stupid ! For budget builds , especially for rendering and video editing with some gaming , amd is a good choice .

I work on anime and use the pro versions of the adobe software . AMD works and plays great with adobe !

MSI Z97A Gaming7 , 4690k , 2 X MSI 960 4g , 500gb ssd , 7tb of WD hdd storage , EVGA 100G2 , Corsair h100i , 2 X 32" 1440p as I RMAd the 4k ones , CM quickfire .

NOW I'VE LOST IT I KNOW I CAN KILL . TRUTH IS HIDDEN BEYOND THE GATES  IT'S ALL DARKER THAN BLACK .

Go with your fx6300 build. The multiple cores will indeed help.

Yes but they have the IPC of a potato.

Steve

Thanks for all the feedback!

Can anyone tell me if there's a marked difference between the FX-6300 and the i5-4440 3.1 GHz?

@WoodenMarker: I'll be editing one or two short films a month, but I'll be doing some AE-heavy exercises on the side to learn the ins and outs of the program. The main purpose for this build is to be able to work smoothly between both programs and to be able to render videos and effects of decent quality at reasonable speeds.

Can anyone tell me if there's a marked difference between the FX-6300 and the i5-4440 3.1 GHz?

@WoodenMarker: I'll be editing one or two short films a month, but I'll be doing some AE-heavy exercises on the side to learn the ins and outs of the program. The main purpose for this build is to be able to work smoothly between both programs and to be able to render videos and effects of decent quality at reasonable speeds.

What do you mean by marked difference?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you want to have better single core performance in games(gta takes advantage of more cores so the fx won't do terribly) and want to shell out the extra cash for it, got ahead. But the fx will perform extrememly well for the price you pay compared to the i5, and won't do terrible on the game.

@WoodenMarker: I meant if one has a noticeable difference in performance than the other or are they about the same? Especially in regards to multitasking with graphics intensive programs like After Effects and RAM eating programs like Premiere simultaneously.

@Starelementpoke: So you're saying the i5-4440 is the qualitatively better option and the FX-6300 is a better bang for your buck?

@WoodenMarker: I meant if one has a noticeable difference in performance than the other or are they about the same? Especially in regards to multitasking with graphics intensive programs like After Effects and RAM eating programs like Premiere simultaneously.

@Starelementpoke: So you're saying the i5-4440 is the qualitatively better option and the FX-6300 is a better bang for your buck?

Whether you'd notice the difference depends on how heavy your projects are. 

The 4440 is better than the 6300 and whether the 6300 is a better value depends on the specific situation. It generally comes down to 'how much is enough'.

~snip~

Hey cradlea,

I would contact Adobe's support for some advice on how their product performs on the different CPUs and ask them which one would be better. Also I like the way you left some space for future upgrades (single 8GB RAM stick, larger PSU, etc.).
Regarding the storage, have in mind that there will be a lot of temp files and a 128GB SSD probably won't be enough if you decide to work on it with the programs. WD Blue is a great drive but might be a bit slow for such demanding operations. I would suggest either to upgrade the capacity of your SSD or to look into swapping WD Blue with WD Black or WD VelociRaptor for better performance if you are working with programs/files off of the HDD. Here are links to the drives:

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/