possible AMD roadmap and a surprise

monstercameron

I would love to be on team red again.

AMD come out with something I want to buy!

I would love to be on team red again.

AMD come out with something I want to buy!

With that avatar, I'm not surprised. ;)

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

FX and APU on the same line? awesome! :) 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I must admit though, that the 8 core Summit Ridge is a bit disappointing, as HSA should be the future of compute. If so then it might be a loss to not have built in GPU (you also miss out on a backup if your gaming card craps out). If HSA would work on discrete GPU's, then ok, that might be nice.

I agree. But I guess they figured the market which buys fx CPUs still wants big pure CPUs without spending die space on graphics, that market probably buys discrete GPUs and they want to sell Radeon cards as well.

Either way having the APUs and CPUs on the same socket is a step forward. Going from 32nm pile-driver fx-8350 to 14nm Zen 8 core is gonna be very interesting. I wonder whether they will be clocked as high...

I agree. But I guess they figured the market which buys fx CPUs still wants big pure CPUs without spending die space on graphics, that market probably buys discrete GPUs and they want to sell Radeon cards as well.

Either way having the APUs and CPUs on the same socket is a step forward. Going from 32nm pile-driver fx-8350 to 14nm Zen 8 core is gonna be very interesting. I wonder whether they will be clocked as high...

Honestly, I don't see much of a problem with it as if you need a compute chip Bristol Ridge will be there. Meanwhile if you're looking for raw CPU performance you can grab Summit Ridge. The best part of it all is the platform has a universal socket. So you could essentially buy both and run both in the same motherboard, with the same ram and all the same components. Sure it might be a pain constantly switching them but the option is there. Especially if you want to start out on a APU because you're on a budget. You can run the APU until you can invest into a higher end GPU. After that you can save up for a eight core Zen to replace the APU. The upgradability of the FM3 platform will be ridiculous in that sense. Personally I think AMD is doing the right thing as the iGPU on Summit Ridge would be extremely weak in comparison to that of Bristol Ridge due to lack of die space for the GPU. I would rather have a 8 core monster offered to me and a 4 core APU with a strong iGPU rather than 6-8 core APU's with a weak iGPU.

So is nobody going to talk about the second Gen FX?

Gamma v2.2 | i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz| Dark Rock TF | ASRock Z170 OC Formula | G-SKILL TridentZ Royal 2x16Gb 3200mhz | MSI GTX 1070 Ti Titanium | Sandisk 120Gb SSD | WD Black 1Tb HDD | Corsair RMx 850w | Corsair Spec Alpha | MSI Optix G27C2/2x19" monitors/34" Insignia tv

Spoiler

Secondary rig status: Blendin Blandin | Xeon E5 2670 E3 ES | Noctua L12s | ASRock X99 OC Formula | 48Gb Ram Smoothie | EVGA 980ti Superclocked+ | ADATA SU800 | SFFTime P-Atx | 

So is nobody going to talk about the second Gen FX?

yep summit ridge will be AMD's chance to regain significant market share among core PC gamers and productivity users / professionals. They have been pushing the same architecture to those users since 2012.

yep summit ridge will be AMD's chance to regain significant market share among core PC gamers and productivity users / professionals. They have been pushing the same architecture to those users since 2012.

That's a good point, however that is a year away. It'll be interesting to see what AMD does to send off the FX series and the AM3 platform though.

Gamma v2.2 | i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz| Dark Rock TF | ASRock Z170 OC Formula | G-SKILL TridentZ Royal 2x16Gb 3200mhz | MSI GTX 1070 Ti Titanium | Sandisk 120Gb SSD | WD Black 1Tb HDD | Corsair RMx 850w | Corsair Spec Alpha | MSI Optix G27C2/2x19" monitors/34" Insignia tv

Spoiler

Secondary rig status: Blendin Blandin | Xeon E5 2670 E3 ES | Noctua L12s | ASRock X99 OC Formula | 48Gb Ram Smoothie | EVGA 980ti Superclocked+ | ADATA SU800 | SFFTime P-Atx | 

That's a good point, however that is a year away. It'll be interesting to see what AMD does to send off the FX series and the AM3 platform though.

I don't expect them to do anything more with piledriver FX or AM3. They just have to continue to sell small quantities and minimize their losses until Zen launches.

am I dreaming or is AMD going up in architecture size? teh fuck?

Nope, a Zen core will be ~10 mm². Meaning two Zen cores they will not be much bigger than a Bulldozer module.

Nope, a Zen core will be ~10 mm². Meaning two Zen cores they will not be much bigger than a Bulldozer module.

Except zen is 14nm

AMD 860K @ 4.3GHz ; Kingston HyperX Fury 2400MHz ; Asus A88XM-Plus ; Sapphire R9 270X 2GB ; 600W Tacens Radix VII AG 80+Silver  ; Cooler Master TX3 Evo

Except zen is 14nm

On the same node as Bulldozer without HDL it certainly would be bigger. Although with 14nm FinFET and HDL two Zen cores are still about the size of a Bulldozer module.

am I dreaming or is AMD going up in architecture size? teh fuck?

Indeed. To me, all that means is that each Zen Core packs that much more punch. A redesigned arch, on a lower node, that is still physically large, means more transistors crammed inside. Which hopefully means MOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAARRRRR POWAAAAAA. Or something.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Nice, now let me see that amazing 8-core! Ow, and they'll go mobile, cool.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |