Simple(?) Cpu Question

Go to solution Solved by incarnate,

im not gonna bring in variables and all the other math equations im talking simplistically as possible

is 4 2.0ghz cores better then 2 4.0ghz cores.

this is clearly hypothetical but..an interesting question ive never received a clear answer on.

and 2 things

1. no im not buying a new cpu...this is just a simple question. i dont need one "made to fit my needs" its just a question.

2. would this even be a possible question with the realms of cpu's we have?

assuming you're talking about the same manufacturer and same architecture then the answer is ... sometimes

it all depends on how the program itself is coded. if it is coded in a way that will fully use all cores then 4 at 2@ghz would be more efficient than 2 at 4. but unless all 4 cores run at 100% all the time you wouldn't really see a benefit

im not gonna bring in variables and all the other math equations im talking simplistically as possible

this is clearly hypothetical but..an interesting question ive never received a clear answer on.

and 2 things
1. no im not buying a new cpu...this is just a simple question. i dont need one "made to fit my needs" its just a question.

"1 shot 1 kill. or in my case 500 shots and a questionable death" ~ Carlos Hathcock + Ryouichi

"Because its windows... it just happens..." ~ G33k 4 L1F3

My Build....sorta. close enough http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YMG4mG

This is not a simple question because there are many more variables at play that complicate the answer.

Case: HAF XBCPU: 4690kCPU Cooler: NH D15Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming 7 | RAM: Hyper X FuryVideo Card: G1 Gaming 970SSD: 850 EVO |  PSU: Supernova 550 G2 | 

Can't compare CPU's in terms of GHz and some programs use more than 2 cores and some don't.

Also, there are weak and strong cores, so we need to know if this is the same cpu

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

If they were the same cores, I think the 4GHz dual core would perform better in games. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

This is not a simple question because there are many more variables at play that complicate the answer.

yes i know...but im talking get rid of said variables. but it doesnt look like its possible at all.

Can't compare CPU's in terms of GHz and some programs use more than 2 cores and some don't.

Also, there are weak and strong cores, so we need to know if this is the same cpu

and this is the conundrum with this question now isnt it :P

If they were the same cores, I think the 4GHz dual core would perform better in games. 

in games most likely as games run on 2 cores more...

"1 shot 1 kill. or in my case 500 shots and a questionable death" ~ Carlos Hathcock + Ryouichi

and 2 things

assuming you're talking about the same manufacturer and same architecture then the answer is ... sometimes

it all depends on how the program itself is coded. if it is coded in a way that will fully use all cores then 4 at 2@ghz would be more efficient than 2 at 4. but unless all 4 cores run at 100% all the time you wouldn't really see a benefit

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

yes i know...but im talking get rid of said variables. but it doesnt look like its possible at all.

and this is the conundrum with this question now isnt it :P

in games most likely as games run on 2 cores more...

its impossible to get rid of those variables. unless we go back to single threaded code. and at that point quad cores would cease to exist.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

now see....thats the kinda answer i wanted. and this is why the "cpu that fits your needs" Comes into play so much when this question is asked. you sir win 5 internets.

its impossible to get rid of those variables. unless we go back to single threaded code. and at that point quad cores would cease to exist.

refer to previous answer :P

now see....thats the kinda answer i wanted. and this is why the "cpu that fits your needs" Comes into play so much when this question is asked. you sir win 5 internets.

refer to previous answer :P

5 internets for sale. best offer takes the lot! putting money towards my x99 platform :D

My rig:

and 2 things

Ill try explain this in a very over simplified version that ill probably get hated on for

programme1 can use up to 3 GHz on 2 cores - example of this is a game - which would be bottle necked by the quad 2GHz CPU

programme2 can use up to 1 GHz on 4+ cores - example of this might be compression programmes or rendering - Which would be bottlenecked by the duo 4 GHz CPU

The reason for them being only able to use tro use a CPU in this way is out of scope of this answer.

But to quickly explain it you can see some programmes are coded to user your CPU if a different kind of way, that's why everyone keeps saying cpu that fits your needs.

But also as explained by Luke in that video he did recent, bot all GHz's are created equally.

sciency stuff thats accurate.

:I you also win 5 internets. you and him must fight over them though.

:I you also win 5 internets. you and him must fight over them though.

but i've already sold them :P

My rig:

but i've already sold them :P

D: horrible horrible person.

D: horrible horrible person.

but... i can share the cookie i got for it

My rig:

but... i can share the cookie i got for it

give it to toxicable >:C

give it to toxicable >:C

but... ok.... but i keep the cheeseburger

My rig:

but... ok.... but i keep the cheeseburger

fine >:I..................<3