Linux/windows 7 dual boot on z87 board - please help!

Hi,

I recently installed a win7 on my new z87 (asus gryhpon Mother board) without any issue.

After I got it to work, I installed the latest linux (ubunto 13.04). I didn't mention but on purpose I installed the win7 on a separate ssd harddrive, and the linux from a different mechanical hd.

After I installed it, the system boots to the ununto grub menu, and I can boot to ubunto without any issue. but when I click on the windows 7 loader, it won't boot and it says "invalid EFI file path" and then i can click a key to go back to the menu.

Also, If I override the boot and choose the ssd, the system will boot to win7 successfully.

in addition, I had to reinstall the ubunto because of I didn't left a space on it for a partition I wanted for ntfs use. (media/data usage),so now my bios is showing two "uefi" ubunto devices of the mechanical drives - what does it means?

In any case, what can I do in order to fix the grub "efi file path" issue, so it will load the windows 7 properly from there?I'm quite loss and don't know how to proceed.

Also, is there a way to "flash" or reset the z87 bios so any "uefi" device it created (probably because of these installations) is deleted, just in case I'll decide to install just one os on it - windows 7. (in case I'll get so frustrated from this dual boot thing and stay with the win7..)

I'd really appreciate some help,thank!

Reformat your mechanical hard drive(you may to do some special things to get it to get rid of the Ubuntu installation). When installing Ubuntu, then pick "Install Ubuntu alongside Windows 7."

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Reformat your mechanical hard drive(you may to do some special things to get it to get rid of the Ubuntu installation). When installing Ubuntu, then pick "Install Ubuntu alongside Windows 7."

I did it initially (if you saw, I installed the ubunto twice) but it didn't work, and then (also because fo the way I wanted to partition the drive) I installed again...

Do you know btw how can I "flash" the z87 board to get rid of the UEFI devices there right now? should I unplug all devices and the cmos battery?How you "reset" the bios to it's original settings?

To reset your BIOS, you can press the Clear CMOS button(if applicable) or remove the CMOS battery for about 10 seconds. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

When re-installing Ubuntu, did you attempt to install it on your W7 drive?

When re-installing Ubuntu, did you attempt to install it on your W7 drive?

No. What I did is:

1. Unplugged the windows 7 ssd drive.

2. installed a "fresh" install (after formatting its partition) of ubunto on the connected mech. drive.

3. afterwards booted to ubunto (when win7 ssd is still disconnected) just to make sure it works.(works fine)

4. turned off the computer and connected the win7 ssd again.

5. Booted again to ubunto and did from the terminal the " apt-get update" and then "dist-upgrade" to update everything including the grub.

6. booted and got the grub menu, which allows me to boot to ubunto OK, but as mentioned the "windows 7 loader" won't work...

btw: In the bios, I changed the "secure boot" option to "other os" instead of the windows uefi mode" i had there - was it a correct action to do?

Thanks!

What should I do?

Give it a shot and see what happens.

Actually, did you change the UEFI setting just "now"?

Give it a shot and see what happens.

Actually, did you change the UEFI setting just "now"?

No. I did it after the first installation of the ubunto, after it didn't boot to it.

I read some old article about some stuff related to dual boot on a UEFI boards, that you have to do a special UEFI usb installation (something called "rufus"?) for a uefi windows 7 installation, also along with a "gpt" partition. Does it make some sense?or is it not relevant for this issue/problem?

Okay. You reset your BIOS?

Okay. You reset your BIOS?

Hi,

not yet. Should I do it?before trying to fix the issue with grub menu, and only if it doesn't works (doing something in ubunto to fix the grub menu, this "EFI path" whatever it means...or trying to enable the "secure boot") give up and do it?...

Yes.

Yes.

Can you please explain why should I reset the bios?

Weren't you gonna do it to try to get rid of the UEFI devices in the BIOS?

Can you please explain why should I reset the bios?

btw, just tried to set the "secure boot" option in the bios again, and then it goes to winows 7 again, skipping the grub menu completely...so I guess this option doesn't solve it, just doesn't let the linux to boot at all.

Weren't you gonna do it to try to get rid of the UEFI devices in the BIOS?

eventually yes, if I won't find a way to make grub menu work, meaning let the "windows 7 loader" to work - to boot the win7 from there...any idea on how to resolve it?

I don't have an idea currently.

I don't have an idea currently.

Is it possible that I should have installed the windows 7 from a UEFI usb loader, such as rufus?and install it in uefi/gpt mode?

Maybe.