First Build - Big budget

ProjectRED

Hello all.

So let me start off by saying I am new to this forum. And my goal here is to get help by you.

So in a few months I'm going off to college. I am studing digital film so I will be handling cameras and what not. So I am being givin $3000 use for equipment. I want both a gaming/video editing machine that will be HARDLINE water cooled with PETG pipes. and the build should have a titan x hands down. Can one of you smart guys help me out with a part list and or recommend any thig.

Also a good monitor if I got left over money.

Thanks mates!!

well the titan X would cost you $1k, the watercooling another $1k, and you would only have $1k left for the rest of the parts and monitor...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I would not bother with a hard line cooled build as it would be a waste of money and just overall bad for school. (not particularly impressive either for like scholarships)

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

I agree with above, maybe drop the hardline water cooling otherwise you're gonna be short on the rest of your PC, im sure you know that watercooling like that is mostly for aesthetics. You're gonna need a good CPU and good storage to go along with the Titan X

well the titan X would cost you $1k, the watercooling another $1k, and you would only have $1k left for the rest of the parts and monitor...

I'm not very experienced with watercooling, but 1k for it? Seems a bit excessive. You could probably fit in this budget X99 MOBO, DDR4, 6 core I7, and a 4k monitor if you try hard enough.

But, OP are you sure hardline watercooling is a must have? 

I'm not very experienced with watercooling, but 1k for it? Seems a bit excessive. You could probably fit in this budget X99 MOBO, DDR4, 6 core I7, and a 4k monitor if you try hard enough.

But, OP are you sure hardline watercooling is a must have? 

it gets really expensive for the hard tubing, fittings, waterblocks, pump and res, radiators, fluid, etc...

so it would cost a lot to do hard tubing

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

To add a little more info:

My mom works at apple

And I work for micro center so I get SOME discounts on varuis items. But I wouldn't rely on this. probably just 500$ MAX shaved off total price. Plus water cooling is too cool and QUIET to give up.

But you guys are experts. Do you think water cooling is a force. I do have a whole month til the check comes to me.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Micro Center)

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($110.98 @ Newegg)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($202.95 @ SuperBiiz)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Micro Center)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Video Card ($1226.44 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($117.99 @ NCIX US)

Monitor: Asus PB278Q 60Hz 27.0" Monitor ($429.99 @ Micro Center)

Other: Your Choice Case ($100.00)

Total: $2653.32

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-26 23:16 EDT-0400

You could do something like this and either get a aio cooler, cheap flexible loop, or drop the monitor and probably do a nice hardline

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

Noob here, I don't know how to quote text but here lol:

Catzruleworld: that build is very attrative. I would swap for x99 tho. but the price to performance is nice. Good eye mate.

Sam z m:

I like the titan because if I have to use after effects the titan will feed it with cuda cores

If I was given around 3000 to make a video editing beast that can game on the side this is what I would put together.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/allahakbar/saved/j7pJ7P

I threw this together in about 20 minutes it's the best bang for your buck video editing rig.

Corsair H110i GT for amazing cooling.

Asus X99 pro for easy overclocking.

Intel 8 core 16 thread 5960k backed by 64gb of 2300mhz RAM for super fast beast mode video rendering speeds.

256 GB M.2 drive for OS and video editing software.

4 3TB western digital greens running in raid 10 for speed and backup protection while still having 6TB of space for your games and projects.

Gigabyte GTX 970 for good gaming performance while being quiet and driving multiple displays later on you could throw in another for SLI.

Define R5 because it's a reasonable size and looks nice and fits everything.

EVGA 850 watt power supply for 80+ gold rating and ability to power this system when overclocked even if you put in another gtx 970.

Windows 8.1 64 bit because there really aren't many other options.

The extra fans to fill in the empty fan support for good cooling.

All for just 3325$

A custom loop doesn't really make much sense on the given budget. Especially since it will be moved several times a year. Better to put the resources into performance enhancing components.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($372.95 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($69.75 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus X99-PRO/USB 3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($292.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Value 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($321.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($72.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Video Card  ($999.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($104.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($87.79 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus PB278Q 60Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($429.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $3053.39
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-27 01:17 EDT-0400

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

can't remember where I heard SSD scratch disks are a must for video editing and loooooots more of storage (raid 1)

large budget you got there

If I was given around 3000 to make a video editing beast that can game on the side this is what I would put together.

I threw this together in about 20 minutes it's the best bang for your buck video editing rig.

Intel 8 core 16 thread 5960k backed by 64gb of 2300mhz RAM for super fast beast mode video rendering speeds.

4 3TB western digital greens running in raid 10 for speed and backup protection while still having 6TB of space for your games and projects.

Gigabyte GTX 970 for good gaming performance while being quiet and driving multiple displays later on you could throw in another for SLI.

EVGA 850 watt power supply for 80+ gold rating and ability to power this system when overclocked even if you put in another gtx 970.

All for just 3325$

Acutally the choice for Western Digital Greens to run in RAID isn't the best, if you're gonna go RAID then choose Western Digital Reds, they're suited for use in RAID environments and less likely for hard drive failure to occur

Lenovo Y50-70: CPU: Intel Core i7-4720HQ (2.60 GHz) | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M (4GB) | RAM: PC3-12800 DDR3L (16GB) | Storage: 512GB SSD | Display: 15.6" FHD IPS | OS: Windows 8.1 (64 bit)

Acutally the choice for Western Digital Greens to run in RAID isn't the best, if you're gonna go RAID then choose Western Digital Reds, they're suited for use in RAID environments and less likely for hard drive failure to occur

Yes I now greens are not the best fit for raid the reason I went for greens was because there cheaper per GB.

Yes I now greens are not the best fit for raid the reason I went for greens was because there cheaper per GB.

Greens are very inappropriate for RAID arrays, especially those that are actively used.

I wasn't going for performance I was going for reliable storage space for your dollar.

Greens were designed for archival storage, not for an active data store. They use aggressive power management which is great for their intended use, but can add wear and tear when used frequently. It's my opinion that the component quality is not high enough to support reasonably constant use.

While WD Red are optimal for RAID arrays, Blue, Black, and Seagate Barracuda will do a decent job in desktop arrays.

Greens were designed for archival storage, not for an active data store. They use aggressive power management which is great for their intended use, but can add wear and tear when used frequently. It's my opinion that the component quality is not high enough to support reasonably constant use.

While WD Red are optimal for RAID arrays, Blue, Black, and Seagate Barracuda will do a decent job in desktop arrays.

Thanks for the input to be honest im not the greatest when it comes to being a hard drive expert.

Hello all.

So let me start off by saying I am new to this forum. And my goal here is to get help by you.

So in a few months I'm going off to college. I am studing digital film so I will be handling cameras and what not. So I am being givin $3000 use for equipment. I want both a gaming/video editing machine that will be HARDLINE water cooled with PETG pipes. and the build should have a titan x hands down. Can one of you smart guys help me out with a part list and or recommend any thig.

Also a good monitor if I got left over money.

Thanks mates!!

Here you go!

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($372.95 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.89 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3P (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($181.90 @ Newegg)

Memory: Crucial 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($299.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Intel 750 Series 400GB PCI-E Solid State Drive ($408.98 @ Newegg)

Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.00 @ Amazon)

Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.00 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Video Card ($1156.44 @ Amazon)

Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($73.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Monitor: LG 27MP33HQ 60Hz 27.0" Monitor ($199.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $2954.12

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-27 17:22 EDT-0400

The 5820k and the 5930k both render at about the same speed and you will not need the extra pcie lanes

32 gb of ram for photoshop

400 gb of intel nvme ssd SPEED!!! for all your scratch tasks

your titanx

a nice case (not huge but not tiny either)

a decent power supply (I am fairly certain)

and a 27" ips 1080p 60htz 8ms monitor (reviews did state that it needed to be calibrated out of the box)

$46.00 to spare

All for just 3325$

Is gpu and cpu bundle called a bottleneck or what

<p>Wish I could have this already!! : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qTLRjX

A custom loop doesn't really make much sense on the given budget. Especially since it will be moved several times a year. Better to put the resources into performance enhancing components.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($372.95 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.75 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Asus X99-PRO/USB 3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($292.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: G.Skill Value 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($321.98 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($72.98 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Video Card ($999.99 @ NCIX US)

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ NCIX US)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($87.79 @ OutletPC)

Monitor: Asus PB278Q 60Hz 27.0" Monitor ($429.99 @ Micro Center)

Total: $3053.39

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-27 01:17 EDT-0400

This is a solid build

<p>Wish I could have this already!! : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qTLRjX