What language are dlls.

tsm

Hi I'm curious what language dll's are. And which Ide's i can view the code with. Just wondering. Thanks.

My Old Rig: Phenom II X4 965 4.0 ghz, Asus Motherboard, 4 GB DDR3-1333, Antec Case and PSU, no video card atm

My New Rig: i5-4590, MSI Motherboard, 8 GB DDR3-1600, Corsair Case, XFX PSU, HD 7950

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3921541/programming-language-for-creating-dll-c-or-c-sharp

a dll is not a language that you can code in, it is a compiled file that you write using another language like C or C++ or whatever

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

They are basically data files that the program access to do stuff. Not something that has code or anything.

wuuut?

It's simply an extension file. It does have differences with a classic binary, but there isn't really much else to see, he won't be seeing code on them any time soon.

It's simply an extension file. It does have differences with a classic binary, but there isn't really much else to see, he won't be seeing code on them any time soon.

Just because he can't read it doesn't mean it isn't code or that it's a "data file". And the readability will depend on what language it was made with, a C# dll is completely decompilable. 

Just because he can't read it doesn't mean it isn't code or that it's a "data file". And the readability will depend on what language it was made with, a C# dll is completely decompilable. 

That's true, it can be code in it in certain cases. It helps more when you give good examples and help the OP instead of putting 'wuut'.

Dll's are actually only code, with function or object endpoints externalized, so they could be accessed by a program (.exe) and treated as a black box (you give it data and those functions process it and give it back to you, you don't care about the internals, a perfect way to hide functionality, because if you don't have the original source, it's uber hard to read anything in it). They can be written in almost any language, they are called shared libraries by the way.

It stands for "Dynamicaly Linked Library". This means that the code contained in the dll may be loaded into memory once and shared by many applications simultaneously. It is analogous to "shared libraries" under Unix.

They are basically data files that the program access to do stuff. Not something that has code or anything.

Where did you learn this? I wish I was as smart as you.

To answer the question of what language they are in, dll's are compiled and thus don't have a readable language in their unaltered state. Decompiling a dll would allow you to understand the programming behind the actual dll, however it cannot give you an editable ide environment (that being said, .NET applications can be decompiled and edited with a tad bit of deobfusticating).

To my knowledge, you can make dll's in any language that also supports executable code, so C++, C, C#, etc.