Just disassembled an old PC, look what I found

LOL. This has NEVER happened to be before.

Yes I know its weird. Tho, I didnt really remove the initial bulk and smeared it all over but still, the damn thing should come off

What kind of a towel do u use?

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Thanks. But just theoreticaly, what would happen to a cpu if you would use 50% alcohol to wipe off the paste?

If you're using vodka or whatever you're going to leave a lot of residue on the chip.  

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

What kind of a towel do u use?

I just use facial tissues. Obviously, if I plan to put new thermal paste, I make sure I don't have any facial tissue dust on the CPU.

You can also use facial pads (the disk or square cotton pads)

I just use facial tissues. Obviously, if I plan to put new thermal paste, I make sure I don't have any facial tissue dust on the CPU.

You can also use facial pads (the disk or square cotton pads)

Tried it all but didnt work

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

k well, if it this super messy oil paste... I guess you can use WD-40 (it is a cleaner not a lubricant. And use rubbing alchool after to clean off the WD-40 residue). But that is super harsh. I really don't know the consequences.

You don't need anything to remove the thermal paste, in reality. Alcohol just makes it easier. So higher the percentage, the easier it will be.

50% will the same as 99%, just requires maybe 2-3 more wipes for a perfect clean, then normal. And that is, assuming the thermal paste is still liquid. Considering the age of the system and the picture, it is dried so it will be just hard/easy to remove.

(This is from personal experience)

pffft. I had replaced my phenom ii x4's stock cooler with stock paste after ~6months of use. It was concrete... I literally ripped the CPU from the locked socket trying to get the cooler off.... xD

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

This thread....

I FEEL SO OLD NOW!

At 50 years old, you have done only half of your life. So not old. :)

I've got a table with a pile of these that I used to use back in the day. Most of my motherboards have stopped working now though.

Oh the basement LAN parties...

Socket A was the bomb and the slot series of Athlons were very short lived for very good reasons. The only problem with early Socket A setups was compatibility issues. It was like mad science trying to find components that would play well with each other from matching RAM to motherboard chipset to PSU output. I do not miss that at all.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.