i5 2500k OC

It's good, considering you only pressed a button. If you go full manual it's going to get better clocks most likely, not better temps though.

Hi guys so currently have my i5 clocked at 4.2 ghz using oc genie this is my temps so far playing gta

http://gyazo.com/eb3a81106dd2587b435f336260746ec8

What do you think? Should I manually overclock this chip?

haha Stop using oc genie and read a damn overclocking guide. 1.37 volts  for 4.2ghz. Ughh I hate mobo manufactures for adding oc genies. It always overvolts. You could manually get a better overclock with less voltage guaranteed.

haha Stop using oc genie and read a damn overlcoking guide. 1.37 volts  for 4.2ghz. Ughh I hate mobo manufactures for adding oc genies. It always overvolts. You could manually get a better overclock with less voltage guaranteed.

Any suggestions? Only running a hyper 212 evo, so will need to be conservative!

Any suggestions? Only running a hyper 212 evo, so will need to be conservative!

What motherboard do you have?

What motherboard do you have?

I have the MSI Z68A-G45 (G3) not the best, but had to stay within budget!

Using Ivy Bridge at 4.3GHz right now 27-30°C idling . Sandy Bridge is better for overclocking.  As long as you can keep it under 80°C then your golden. Sandy Bridge has a lower TJ Max then Ivy Bridge but the i5 2500k is considered on of the best all around CPU factoring , overclocking, gaming performance, workstation performance, temperature, and price.  

Note: stays cooler. One reason is is Solder  ,  They do not use a half baked TIM solution like Ivy Bridge and Haswell. 

EDIT, yeah do it manually in the UEFI BIOS. I didd not see that you used the "OC button"

haha Stop using oc genie and read a damn overclocking guide. 1.37 volts  for 4.2ghz. Ughh I hate mobo manufactures for adding oc genies. It always overvolts. You could manually get a better overclock with less voltage guaranteed.

VID isn't the same as core voltage.

VID is what the processor is requesting by default.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

VID isn't the same as core voltage.

VID is what the processor is requesting by default.

soo what would you recommend?

I have the MSI Z68A-G45 (G3) not the best, but had to stay within budget!

Perfectly  good mobo. I have the p67 version and had my 2500k at 5ghz 1.38v since launch. Until recently sadly when it started crashing. I had to back down to 4.6ghz at 1.32v :(

You'll want prime 95 for stability testing if you haven't already. Will go for 4.5ghz since most can do that .

Go into your bios and change the cpu ratio to 45 . disable spread spectrum. change vdroop to low and set your vcore to 1.35v. Now prime 95 for an hour or so and if it doesn't crash you can lower the voltage for better temps or raise the cpu ratio and test again . Your mobo has a cmos reset button on the back so if you have any trouble booting or anything just press that button. I suggest you find a guide tho so itll make it easier for you. Its just better to understand what all the settings do so you know exactly what you're doing.

Perfectly  good mobo. I have the p67 version and had my 2500k at 5ghz 1.38v since launch. Until recently sadly when it started crashing. I had to back down to 4.6ghz at 1.32v :(

You'll want prime 95 for stability testing if you haven't already. Will go for 4.5ghz since most can do that .

Go into your bios and change the cpu ratio to 45 . disable spread spectrum. change vdroop to low and set your vcore to 1.35v. Now prime 95 for an hour or so and if it doesn't crash you can lower the voltage for better temps or raise the cpu ratio and test again . Your mobo has a cmos reset button on the back so if you have any trouble booting or anything just press that button. I suggest you find a guide tho so itll make it easier for you. Its just better to understand what all the settings do so you know exactly what you're doing.

theres a button on the back of my motherboard? never noticed that.. which key is it again to access msi bios?

theres a button on the back of my motherboard? never noticed that.. which key is it again to access msi bios?

Yes a little black rubber button at the top near the usb ports. delete.

Yes a little black rubber button at the top near the usb ports. delete.

where would i download prime95? a trusted website

where would i download prime95? a trusted website

Download the version you need(first one) and  select stress testing only and then tick small fft's and press ok. It will begin stress testing. http://www.mersenne.org/download/

I'm running prime95 right now on the oc genie settings and this is what im getting.. http://gyazo.com/a1021558a6d1d261c3961ff607c8b8f3

Ok. Those temps are fine. You can just leave it at that if your happy. But you can easily get more at less voltage imo.

I missed mvitkuns msg and he is correct. Either way I'm sure its over volting more then needed. Download cpu-z and  that will show the correct voltage. http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Why is it now at 3.8ghz?  Did you go into the bios already? Or change oc genie? So your vcore is at 1.33v and your temps are fine.  You'll be good with 1.35v  as far as temps go. Dont worry until you see temps over 80. Remember you won't see those temps for everyday use or gaming. This is purely to make sure the cpu is 100% stable. So try out those settings I told you. If it crashes just enter bios and drop the cpu ratio 1.  If its stable then you can drop voltage 0.01 and stress test again.Run prime overnight if you can. 8 hours or more should be good imo.

Why is it now at 3.8ghz?  Did you go into the bios already? Or change oc genie? So your vcore is at 1.33v and your temps are fine.  You'll be good with 1.35v  as far as temps go. Dont worry until you see temps over 80. Remember you won't see those temps for everyday use or gaming. This is purely to make sure the cpu is 100% stable. So try out those settings I told you. If it crashes just enter bios and drop the cpu ratio 1.  If its stable then you can drop voltage 0.01 and stress test again.Run prime overnight if you can. 8 hours or more should be good imo.

Its still on oc genie.. I have no clue why it drops..

Its still on oc genie.. I have no clue why it drops..

Weird I really couldn't tell you either. As I despise oc genie or any mobo oc'ing software. 

Weird I really couldn't tell you either. As I despise oc genie or any mobo oc'ing software. 

Yeah I'll try changing my settings in the bios tomorrow.. going to aim for 4.2 at a lower voltage!

Yeah I'll try changing my settings in the bios tomorrow.. going to aim for 4.2 at a lower voltage!

Yah  forsure if you only want 4.2 you should easily get under that 1.33 volts oc genie is using . For an example I get 4.5ghz at 1.28v. Not to say you'll get that but the 2500k  is a great overclocker. Dont personally know a single person that wasn't able to reach 4.5ghz.  If you have anymore question be sure to ask. Anyway have a good night.

Always overvolts? Nope.

Usually overvolts? Yup

Some people have got some amazing overclocks for someone who has no clue what they're doing and just pressed the button.

You can't generalize an entire population.

There is a switch next to the OC Genie button on the motherboard that can be toggled between a red and blue LED position. The "blue" setting is default, and it netted me a fully stable 4GHz/1866MHz overclock with a very very likable 1.098v vCore. Switching to the more aggressive "red" OC Genie setting allowed us a fully stable 4.2GHz/1866MHz but with a vCore of 1.22v.

Source

Always overvolts? Nope.

Usually overvolts? Yup

Some people have got some amazing overclocks for someone who has no clue what they're doing and just pressed the button.

You can't generalize an entire population.

Source

Well like I said I despise them. Every one I've dealt with personally over volts.You're right tho I guess I shouldn't have been so broad.I was actually unaware that anyone even got good overclocks with them.   Id still never use one . :P