Is the GTX 970 really enough for 1080p?

Go to solution Solved by Lotus,

I could upgrade my CPU, but I dont want to have to get a new MOBO, do you know any good CPU's out there that use the 1150 chip?

I don't think it'll be a problem for you, really. So long as you're running overclocked and you don't turn things up like particle density/physics or NPC density (like traffic) to the max, you'll be fine. Physics simulation with tons of objects hits every CPU hard, and your 2500K is still a very capable CPU. I don't know about you, but I don't think it's worth it spending another $350 ($230 i5-4690k + $120 Z97 MoBo) to turn your traffic density up a notch or two.

Hello everyone, I have finally saved up enough cash to upgrade my GPU, (560 ti ) which as you may imagine, is becoming a bit outdated now.

I'm stuck between the 980 and 970 for 1080p gaming, now before you jump to AMD, I fully respect your opinions and I think AMD is a great company which makes really good GPU's, I DONT want an AMD card. I'm sorry if this is upsetting, it's just that I find Nvidia to work better for me. 

Now, I know the 970 will should be good enough for 1080p gaming on most titles, but I am a FPS junkie. I want to be able to play every single game with MSAA and everything else turned up to the max, with not a single drop below 60 FPS, and I'm wondering whether the 970 could do that. Because I dont want to have to replace my card again in disappointment. Now I know a PC doesn't just come down to the GPU, so I do suggest you take a look at my specs on my forum page. I do plan on overclocking my CPU soon to around 4.0 GHZ.

My 970 maxs out every game I throw at it with no problem at all. Once in a while it may dip to 50fps during intensive moments

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

I have a 970 and if you really want nothing under 60fps you should get a 980. 
Would also help to know what kind of games you play.

Intel i5-6600K, be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Asus MAXIMUS VIII Gene, 16gb Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo, 2tb Seagate Barracuda, GTX 1080 EVGA FTW, Thermaltake Core v21, Seasonic M12II 850W

I think you'll still run into CPU issues eventually. One of my friends is having trouble with his 2500k on some games.

I don't think there are any cards that will maintain above 60fps ultra even at 1080p.

Someone can prove me wrong.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Well, you will need a TitanX/980SLI/295x2 to achieve the performance you want. However the 970 is a great card, should keep above 30fps on really demanding titles at all times :P

You not wanting an AMD card is completely stupid. I'm just going to say that here and now. You could save yourself around $75 by going AMD since you're only going 1080p.

That being said, a GTX 970 is sufficient right now for every game at 1080p except for poorly coded UBShit games, which no GPU can reliably do 60+ minimum fps.

edit: wait, MSAA and everything turned up to the max? No GPU will do that depending on some games, because some of these features are supersampling and you're basically trying to drive the game at 4k, which no single GPU does. It just sounds like you're being completely unrealistic here. Heck, GTA V with those advanced features won't run at 60 even with dual SLI GTX 980s.

Edited by Lotus

cough cough 290x cough cough

yeh ik you dont want an amd card but still, makes more sense sometimes

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

In every game... No.. but then neither will a 980... Some games (GTAV for instance) has some crazy level effects that you won't be ablt to max out and still get NO dips below 60fps.

If considering a 980.. thinnk about 970 SLI.. it's a little more but MUCH more performance in anything that supports SLI.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

Its designed (targeted) for playing games at high settings at 1440p.  So yea its great at 1080p

My 970 maxs out every game I throw at it with no problem at all. Once in a while it may dip to 50fps during intensive moments

I never have FPS dips, well did when I had my single card. 

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: 32Gb DDR4  GPU(s): MSI 6800-XT Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x with CableMod Displays: 1 x Asus ROG Swift And 3 x 24" 1080p Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Sound: AKG 553 Operating System: Windows 10

Current PC: 

http://i.imgur.com/ubYSO3f.jpg          http://i.imgur.com/xhpDcqd.jpg

No GPU can really say they play at everything max at a minimum FPS of 60 at 1080p except maybe the Titan X.  So  according to your OP, this is your one and only choice if you don't want to replace it soon :P

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

My GTX 660 is brilliant for 1080p, a GTX 970 should be better

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

You not wanting an AMD card is completely stupid. I'm just going to say that here and now. You could save yourself around $75 by going AMD since you're only going 1080p.

That being said, a GTX 970 is sufficient right now for every game at 1080p except for poorly coded UBShit games, which no GPU can reliably do 60+ minimum fps.

edit: wait, MSAA and everything turned up to the max? No GPU will do that depending on some games, because some of these features are supersampling and you're basically trying to drive the game at 4k, which no single GPU does. It just sounds like you're being completely unrealistic here. Heck, GTA V with those advanced features won't run at 60 even with dual SLI GTX 980s.

Right, well I'm sorry if it came out wrong, Nothing against nvdia. I'm relatively new to PC gaming, so I'm sorry if I made some invalid statements. All in all, I just want to be able to play at HIGH settings on games such at GTA V and Arma 3, without dipping below 60 FPS. With low MSAA I guess. I just had a really wrong idea of how GPU's work in today's standards I

guess, I thought 500$ will get you the highest performance on the market, guess not so much.

I think you'll still run into CPU issues eventually. One of my friends is having trouble with his 2500k on some games.

I don't think there are any cards that will maintain above 60fps ultra even at 1080p.

Someone can prove me wrong.

Can somebody with a lot of experience quote this? I'm really worried if there may be a bottleneck with my CPU...

What about GTA V?

Well, you will need a TitanX/980SLI/295x2 to achieve the performance you want. However the 970 is a great card, should keep above 30fps on really demanding titles at all times :P

Wow, I did not really expect that kind of hardware required to run 1080p

What about GTA V?

Dips to 50 sometimes when I'm driving really fast but I think that's more of a cpu thing

Flying in the sky I get like 250

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

GTA V, Shadow of Morder, Battlefield 4, Arma 3, WoW, Far Cry 4.

Mostly gpu intensive games.

Its not enough according to GTA V.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Dips to 50 sometimes when I'm driving really fast but I think that's more of a cpu thing

Flying in the sky I get like 250

Can you list down the settings you have applied on the game?

Its not enough according to GTA V.

Well, I thought that game is well optimized, not sure what happened there...

1080p is just a resolution.  Effects don't become nicer at higher resolution.  What stresses a 1440p monitor will stress a 1080p monitor as well if you crank it up high enough.  Games like GTA V are very CPU dependant as well if you want to push the settings up.  Even a 5930k won't help you there as evidenced by TotalBiscuit's Port Report of GTA V.  GTA V was built for the future, and nothing can run it at a minimum frame rate of 60FPS with EVERYTHING turned up.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Well, personally I prefer 30fps (sometimes I'll lock my game to 30fps) so I only need a 280x. Though to make that leap takes a lot of horsepower :L

Basically, as long as you don't turn MSAA on above 4x, and don't turn on any wacky supersampling or other hugely demanding options that really don't improve the look/feel of the game beyond what 4x MSAA offers, you'll be fine even in every game with an R9 290 which runs about $250. It's once you start messing with these hugely demanding games like insane draw distances, 16x MSAA, supersampling, and other crazy options that you will struggle.

As far as CPU performance goes, you're going to be fine for the most part except in a very small amount of games that demand very high single-threaded performance.

Well, I thought that game is well optimized, not sure what happened there...

You can't actually max out the settings on a 970, it might be the 'new' Crysis 3 when benchmarking.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL