Can Computers Get Too Cold?

Guest Philosophy

I was just watching Alaska state troopers and one of them left there PC in minus 5 degree temps and it wouldn't boot. Is this a thing or is it for some other reason it would not boot?

Yes, it's possible to get too cold. Like anything, it has an operating range outside of which it won't work. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Yeah for sure.

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Too cold? not really, but if there's condensation, that will be an issue more than the low temp.

Yes I bet that's it, I never really thought of condisation (since it wasn't snowy nor raining)

I was just watching Alaska state troopers and one of them left there PC in minus 5 degree temps and it wouldn't boot. Is this a thing or is it for some other reason it would not boot?

Yeah, I think that's why northern gamers use AMD GPUs :P

If anything it was probably the HDD that wasn't working in the cold, mechanical parts seem to care about temperatures a lot more than solid state components do.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

Yes, when people do extreme overclocking with liquid nitrogen they have to make sure their temperatures don't drop too low, otherwise the CPU will just lock up.

Theoretically I think if you removed all moisture from the air and were in a vacuum it would work fine if the plastics didn't shatter.  Platter drives might not move, but again that might only be if there's moisture freezing.  Electric current wont be stopped by cold, as cold is just absence of heat.

Case: HAF XBCPU: 4690kCPU Cooler: NH D15Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming 7 | RAM: Hyper X FuryVideo Card: G1 Gaming 970SSD: 850 EVO |  PSU: Supernova 550 G2 | 

I am lucky enough that I live in a tropical country when it's not that cold or hot. (Phillipines)

Yes too much heat or cold could affect your PC or any device

“Your transformation is not a disease. You were just given the key to the door in front of you. There’s no need to know the cause. No need for sorrow or sadness. What comes next is up to you. You can use your keys to open the door… Or lock it tight. And if you do choose to open it… You can still decide not to pass through.” -Kisuke Urahara

I am lucky enough that I live in a tropical country when it's not that cold or hot. (Phillipines)

Yes too much heat or cold could affect your PC or any device

But the humidity..

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

yeah some parts in a computer are cold sensitive but -5 is not that much to break a computer you need somewhere aroun -15 - -20c for a computer to break from cold and even that is going quite low only thing that would kill the computer in cold would be the water that comes from the ice melting inside the pc and destroying the components so practically pc cant be destroyed from any kind of cold. Maybe in siberia it would be possible there the basic temp in winter is -45c most of the time there the computer would probably lock up but not break

Yes, when people do extreme overclocking with liquid nitrogen they have to make sure their temperatures don't drop too low, otherwise the CPU will just lock up.

Yeah... around -80c

I think its called the cold boot bug :L

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

But the humidity..

Not a problem at all because its pretty windy over here theres a lot of coco trees to keep you cool hahaha. But if you live in a very big city you can just use a fan 

“Your transformation is not a disease. You were just given the key to the door in front of you. There’s no need to know the cause. No need for sorrow or sadness. What comes next is up to you. You can use your keys to open the door… Or lock it tight. And if you do choose to open it… You can still decide not to pass through.” -Kisuke Urahara

Yeah, I think that's why northern gamers use AMD GPUs :P

Hmmm...yes, my space heater does wonders during our winters.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

The reason why the state troopers PC died is likely that the battery got too cold. Stick it in a warm place for a few minutes and it would work just fine. So obviously, mobile devices dependent on batteries will go out before hardwired devices. As well, extreme cold can crack and freeze LCD screens destroying them.

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

Theoretically I think if you removed all moisture from the air and were in a vacuum it would work fine if the plastics didn't shatter. Platter drives might not move, but again that might only be if there's moisture freezing. Electric current wont be stopped by cold, as cold is just absence of heat.

Wrong. Cold is the absence of energy. The colder things get, the slower their atoms move, and the slower the flow of electrons though them (or inverse for some materials)

Heat doesn't exist. Energy does. Its thermodynamics. The idea of heat exists. The idea of cold exists. But neither are actually a thing.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

People overclock on liquid nitrogen which is -200c...

yes, but not all the components are subjected to the low temps.

yes, but not all the components are subjected to the low temps.

Well, I've also left my laptop in the car overnight, and the next morning when it was -20 outside I turned it on and it worked fine (still had a full charge as well). That being said though my laptop doesn't have a HDD, so that may be the reason.

"Rawr XD"

Indeed, electronics have minimum operating temperatures too, He should have ran prime 95 on that bad boy during the night.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Well, I've also left my laptop in the car overnight, and the next morning when it was -20 outside I turned it on and it worked fine (still had a full charge as well). That being said though my laptop doesn't have a HDD, so that may be the reason.

i know batteries dont work nearly aswell at cold temperatures. Unless made to. We had problems with 9v being to cold. You will see this most often in lead acid car batteries.

i know batteries dont work nearly aswell at cold temperatures. Unless made to. We had problems with 9v being to cold. You will see this most often in lead acid car batteries.

I had no problem starting my car that day either. I have an Exide Edge AGM though.

"Rawr XD"

I had no problem starting my car that day either. I have an Exide Edge AGM though.

great, it might never happen, chances increase the lower the charge the battery has. Most of the time the first crank wont work but the second will. The 9v we had we left in a truck overnight in-30ish f, none of the pack worked, left them in the car to warm up and bamo.

Wrong. Cold is the absence of energy. The colder things get, the slower their atoms move, and the slower the flow of electrons though them (or inverse for some materials)

Heat doesn't exist. Energy does. Its thermodynamics. The idea of heat exists. The idea of cold exists. But neither are actually a thing.

Interesting interpretation of thermodynamics.  The only caveat I'd make to this is to say heat does exist as a descriptive term for thermal energy and can be used interchangeably.  Absolute zero is the only time thermal energy (heat) does not exist, as all particle movement is slowed to a "freeze".  Otherwise any temperature above 0K is actually a level of heat (thermal energy).  Here is a link to similar questions regarding this topic from a physics professor at the University of Illinois.

https://van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=1838

So really the absence of heat (thermal energy) results in cold (lowering thermal energy exchange between two objects) and is quantifiable by measuring the change at an atomic level.  "Hot" and "Cold" are merely terms we use to describe this exchange, but that does not make them theoretical ideas.  

Case: HAF XBCPU: 4690kCPU Cooler: NH D15Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming 7 | RAM: Hyper X FuryVideo Card: G1 Gaming 970SSD: 850 EVO |  PSU: Supernova 550 G2 |