GTX 970 stuttering and fps problems

dima_

According to his signature his CPU isn't overclocked (3.4GHz is base for i5-4670ks)? Or does OC mean something different in this case? 

Exactly.  It has 0 overclocking for a K series CPU and he complains GTA V runs badly for him.  What can I say.  It has been repeatedly said that GTA V is a very CPU intensive game, especially if you turn the settings in Advanced Graphics up.

Here's a screenshot with CPU usage as well as GPU usage etc etc of the difference between draw distance system loads.  First is with Advanced Distance Scaling at 0% in Advanced Graphics.  2nd screenshot is at 100%.  Look top left.

6UjLHtw.jpg

wEuEkJh.jpg

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

<snip>

Ah, you were saying his lack of overclocking was bad. I understand now; I agree with that sentiment then.

I find it quite funny that that most in this forum rag on AMD for having shit drivers. The game's not poorly coded at all. Runs great for most people.

Actually I've never had problems with AMD drivers, except for Raptr making my computer crash, I solved it by uninstalling Raptr, I get really decent FPS with my R7 260X, GTA V works at 40 fps avg everything on high 1200p 2x msaa, textures normal, with bf4 running ultra 1200p 40 fps avg. 

Actually I've never had problems with AMD drivers, except for Raptr making my computer crash, I solved it by uninstalling Raptr, I get really decent FPS with my R7 260X, GTA V works at 40 fps avg everything on high 1200p 2x msaa, textures normal, with bf4 running ultra 1200p 40 fps avg. 

That sucks I have like 15000 points on raptr. Just waiting to spend it on a free game or something. I could never play bf4 at 40 fps lol I play bf4 at all low settings  to achieve 120 fps at 1080p 120hz.

That sucks I have like 15000 points on raptr. Just waiting to spend it on a free game or something. I could never play bf4 at 40 fps lol I play bf4 at all low settings  to achieve 120 fps at 1080p 120hz.

well, i couldnt care less about raptr lol, also my XL2720Z is still being shipped, i will lower my settings aswell, as i really dont care graphics that much.

Runs fine for me.

The drivers manage the last .5GB, games won't use it. Only synthetic benchmarks do.

Does that 0.5gb still do something for us ?

I mean it uses 3.5gb at full speed, and 0.5 at a slower speed. Does this mean the 0.5gb is still better than nothing, or is it nothing?

Does that 0.5gb still do something for us ?

I mean it uses 3.5gb at full speed, and 0.5 at a slower speed. Does this mean the 0.5gb is still better than nothing, or is it nothing?

The card just stores some less used data in there, it's still faster than acessing RAM.

Exactly.  It has 0 overclocking for a K series CPU and he complains GTA V runs badly for him.  What can I say.  It has been repeatedly said that GTA V is a very CPU intensive game, especially if you turn the settings in Advanced Graphics up.

Here's a screenshot with CPU usage as well as GPU usage etc etc of the difference between draw distance system loads.  First is with Advanced Distance Scaling at 0% in Advanced Graphics.  2nd screenshot is at 100%.  Look top left.

huh? My slightly OC'd 2600k has ZERO problems running everything at max. I'd say if a more modern CPU like the 4670k has problems, the 2600k should too, no?

Also, the advanced graphics options are broken. Don't even bother using them.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

Also, the advanced graphics options are broken. Don't even bother using them.

Advanced Distance Scaling isn't broken.

Advanced Distance Scaling isn't broken.

You're right, that one isn't. Got confused. It just Increases the LOD distance though.

I dont really belive that its gtx 970 problem since other ppl (like me) are not having same problems. I think if it would be gtx 970 problem then every1 who owns it would be crying atm?

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4 GHz                                                 Case: Fractal Design Define R5                       SSD: Samsung Evo 850 250gb          Monitor:  Benq GL2760        
   GPU: MSI GTX 970 SLI (+140 Core|+400 Mem)               Motherboard: Msi Z97-G5                                 HDD: WD blue 1TB                             CPU Cooler:  Hyper 412s
      RAM: 16GB HyperX DDR3 1600MHz                                PSU: Cooler Master v850                                 Storage: Adata HV610 1TB                  OS: Windows 10           

You're right, that one isn't. Got confused. It just Increases the LOD distance though.

But that one setting is a crazy CPU-hog though :P

But that one setting is a crazy CPU-hog though :P

hmm, I actually never maxed it. I should try that when I get home. 

Its probably the card itself. I have the same CPU and not overclocked, no stutters and what not. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Its probably the card itself. I have the same CPU and not overclocked, no stutters and what not. 

On the other hand I have the same GPU and no stutters and what not :P

Yea I've noticed that and the other 970 that work fine but what I'm saying is that op's problem may have well just been isolated to his own card. Afterall op's got a msi one and your card is a G1 so it's not entirely the same.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Alright, since you're such a fucking expert on my CPU, how do I go about overclocking it? It's something I've never done before. And what would be considered a safe OC with my current cooling? It stays around 60C when under load.

(OOC) [Legend] Vladimir Makaroni: is smelling meth with my new oculus rift a valid reason to warrant a meth lab

Alright, since you're such a fucking expert on my CPU, how do I go about overclocking it? It's something I've never done before. And what would be considered a safe OC with my current cooling? It stays around 60C when under load.

You should be able to achieve 4.4GHz pretty easily.  Overclocking can be pretty tedious if you have no experience in it.  I think Linus has a video on overclocking.  Let me try to find it.

You should be able to achieve 4.4GHz pretty easily.  Overclocking can be pretty tedious if you have no experience in it.  I think Linus has a video on overclocking.  Let me try to find it.

I don't think I want to risk OC'ing on this shitty PSU.

(OOC) [Legend] Vladimir Makaroni: is smelling meth with my new oculus rift a valid reason to warrant a meth lab

I don't think I want to risk OC'ing on this shitty PSU.

Well it is 80 Plus Gold certified, should be pretty good :D

If devs coded their games properly, then Nvidia and AMD wouldn't need to create specific drivers for games to run properly. This was pointed out recently.

Yep. Driver optimization is nothing more than the game asking for x, and the driver telling the card to give y.

ie.- if game wants an object to have 64x tessellation and Nvidia driver changes the request to 16x, because the visual improvement in said case might be negligible.

Some people call it driver cheating to get better benchmarks, but lazy devs is more like it.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR