AMD Zen (Roadmaps, Quad Core Unit, Block Diagram, 32 Core Opteron)

Opcode

great, just a little more time and AMD could catch up to intel

Emphasis on "could" please. Let's not forget Intel's pushing the boundaries on many different fronts, and the Knight's Landing chips are nothing to shake a stick at. 36 big AMD cores with 72 threads vs. up to 18 big Broadwell cores or up to 21 big Skylake cores with 36/42 threads or between 60 and 72 "small" (AVX 512 isn't exactly small, and the modified 4-thread Silvermont cores are much larger than Bay Trail and Cherry Trail cores) with 240-288 threads. And Intel's also trying to fight off IBM and gain ground on iGPU for HPC applications as well.

AMD is ahead on graphics architecture, but just getting back Keller and Koduri is a far cry from a guarantee AMD will catch up to the company whose very history is one of pushing all known and perceived limits in technology and crushing competition into the ground on raw merit. There are other engineers around the world just as good as those two, and some of them are on Intel's and IBM's payrolls. 

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

" The Opteron needs all the silicon space for the L2, L3 cache as well as its Zen x86 cores."

The Desktop CPU's need the exact same thing,yet we get apu :( fucking morons.

" The Opteron needs all the silicon space for the L2, L3 cache as well as its Zen x86 cores."

The Desktop CPU's need the exact same thing,yet we get apu :( fucking morons.

Given that we now have a non-APU chip and an APU chip on the Zen architecture announced for the server market it isn't a stretch to imagine the same for the consumer market.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Emphasis on "could" please. Let's not forget Intel's pushing the boundaries on many different fronts, and the Knight's Landing chips are nothing to shake a stick at. 36 big AMD cores with 72 threads vs. up to 18 big Broadwell cores or up to 21 big Skylake cores with 36/42 threads or between 60 and 72 "small" (AVX 512 isn't exactly small, and the modified 4-thread Silvermont cores are much larger than Bay Trail and Cherry Trail cores) with 240-288 threads. And Intel's also trying to fight off IBM and gain ground on iGPU for HPC applications as well.

AMD is ahead on graphics architecture, but just getting back Keller and Koduri is a far cry from a guarantee AMD will catch up to the company whose very history is one of pushing all known and perceived limits in technology and crushing competition into the ground on raw merit. There are other engineers around the world just as good as those two, and some of them are on Intel's and IBM's payrolls. 

If the validations for XV performance are true then Intel may be up shit creek without a paddle with Skylake. With Keller at the helm Zen will top XV performance along with bring SMT. What can Intel do if Zen is clock for clock faster than Skylake with the desktop skews coming with up to 8 core 16 threads? They have no yellow brick road to follow after that as they would be entirely at the mercy of being influenced by AMD. Pushing Cannonlake to offer at least 8 cores 16 threads on the consumer desktop at an affordable price. It will be K8 vs P68 all over again although maybe AMD will be smart this time and stick to refining the architecture like Intel does instead of dumping it for another.

If the validations for XV performance are true then Intel may be up shit creek without a paddle with Skylake. With Keller at the helm Zen will top XV performance along with bring SMT. What can Intel do if Zen is clock for clock faster than Skylake with the desktop skews coming with up to 8 core 16 threads? They have no yellow brick road to follow after that as they would be entirely at the mercy of being influenced by AMD. Pushing Cannonlake to offer at least 8 cores 16 threads on the consumer desktop at an affordable price. It will be K8 vs P68 all over again although maybe AMD will be smart this time and stick to refining the architecture like Intel does instead of dumping it for another.

It won't happen. Keller is not some infallible God and Intel's not a complacent foe the way IBM was.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

It won't happen. Keller is not some infallible God and Intel's not a complacent foe the way IBM was.

Rumor has it Carrizo seen a quick touch of Kellers hand before they shipped the project off to their Boston facility so they can work on K12/Zen. Sources are starting to show XV being nearly as fast as Haswell clock for clock. Meanwhile that's all coming out of a small 14.48 mm² module.

AMD using cluster cores again? Does that mean it'll be shit like bulldozer? 

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Rumor has it Carrizo seen a quick touch of Kellers hand before they shipped the project off to their Boston facility so they can work on K12/Zen. Sources are starting to show XV being nearly as fast as Haswell clock for clock. Meanwhile that's all coming out of a small 14.48 mm² module.

No they haven't. We've been through this on your thread about Carrizo. There's no concrete info regarding thermal solutions or throttling or actual sustained clock rates. The validations are garbage without this information. Core M looked like crap when Lenovo first used it, but then it turned out it was Lenovo's fault for not developing a proper heatsink. In the new MacBook Core M is faster than Haswell Y by a fair margin. For all we know the one Carrizo test we have is an overclocked golden chip on an active heatsink and the I3s are throttling due to improper cooling solutions. We simply don't know.

AMD using cluster cores again? Does that mean it'll be shit like bulldozer?

I imagine this time around it's more about yields to be able to produce more packages without a monolithic die with lower yields.

No they haven't. We've been through this on your thread about Carrizo. There's no concrete info regarding thermal solutions or throttling or actual sustained clock rates. The validations are garbage without this information. Core M looked like crap when Lenovo first used it, but then it turned out it was Lenovo's fault for not developing a proper heatsink. In the new MacBook Core M is faster than Haswell Y by a fair margin. For all we know the one Carrizo test we have is an overclocked golden chip on an active heatsink and the I3s are throttling due to improper cooling solutions. We simply don't know.

Out of hundreds of validations I think it's safe to say we can easily establish a median as these numbers will not change after so many validations. Your argument of the Haswell i3 being a "new" chip and not having enough validations from many different vendors is moot. Also the numbers for the 15w FX-8800p were validated at stock clocks so it wasn't overclocked (I haven't even seen the FX-7600P overclocked). Although for all we know the FX validation could be the baseline where it's throttling as it's only a single validation (unlike the Haswell). We can clearly establish Haswell performance although we need more XV validations as they can go either up or down.

Out of hundreds of validations I think it's safe to say we can easily establish a median as these numbers will not change after so many validations. Your argument of the Haswell i3 being a "new" chip and not having enough validations from many different vendors is moot. Also the numbers for the 15w FX-8800p were validated at stock clocks so it wasn't overclocked (I haven't even seen the FX-7600P overclocked). Although for all we know the FX validation could be the baseline where it's throttling as it's only a single validation (unlike the Haswell). We can clearly establish Haswell performance although we need more XV validations as they can go either up or down.

Oh ffs, every laptop is different. Every thermal and electrical solution is different. And it's not super difficult to spoof a benchmark score. It's been done before.

Oh offs, every laptop is different. Every thermal and electrical solution is different.

Exactly, so how can we say that this is the definite performance of the 15w FX-8800p when it's only one single validation? We have hundreds of validations for Haswell based laptops from dozens of different vendors so it's safe to say we can can establish a median for Haswell performance. Which cannot be said about a single validation.

Say hello to the Zen quad core unit.

fnZH029.jpg

Original post updated for full coverage of Zen news.

Dude you're literally making me like a little child right now. xD 

This is looking extremely promising, Interested to see the pipeline though. Hope the L3 Cache is better then what I hear it was on Bulldozer.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Say hello to the Zen quad core unit.

-snip-

Original post updated for full coverage of Zen news.

I find it interesting they doubled the L2 cache size relative to Intel. Maybe Keller found some extra magic sauce to keep cache latencies down despite the size increase?

I find it interesting they doubled the L2 cache size relative to Intel. Maybe Keller found some extra magic sauce to keep cache latencies down despite the size increase?

What I find interesting is the similarities now between an Intel and an AMD die.

haswell-02b.jpg

If I can get an 8-core with top notch IPC at solid price at that time I'll be happy :D

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

If I can get an 8-core with top notch IPC at solid price at that time I'll be happy :D

Well,what is a solid price? Are you thinking i7 4770 performance? Or 5960? 8thread or 8 core Because Intel's current prices are already pretty solid,you used to pay twice as much for the performance chips compared to what you do now.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

In before all the hate, Intel does the same thing. They have chips that are just 16-32 atom cores.

The biggest Avoton chip is 8 cores.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

snip

cool cool, got an official block diagram for a quad core BD handy? be great to compare

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

What I find interesting is the similarities now between an Intel and an AMD die.

haswell-02b.jpg

Looking at that, Intel don't use the extra space from removing the iGPU on Xeons to increase the size of the cores, do they?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

cool cool, got an official block diagram for a quad core BD handy? be great to compare

Pretty much the same as Zen other than core changes.

DRSze4Y.jpg

Looking at that, Intel don't use the extra space from removing the iGPU on Xeons to increase the size of the cores, do they?

2011 cores are indeed larger, those are 1150 cores

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

The biggest Avoton chip is 8 cores.

16. You're thinking Xeon D. Furthermore, Knight's Corner goes up to 61 Atom cores, and Knight's Landing goes up to 72.

Make_more_cores.jpg

Yes, I'm aware of hypocrisy very much (looks at Intel's 16-core)

LOL, love that Amd's chart.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE