4k tv hdmi cable?

The Last MeMe

Is needing hdmi 1.4 for 4k an actual thing or just a bunch of bs? Ive heard all hdmi cables support 4k and only 1.4 cables do?

My rig: Case: Corsair 760T CPU: Intel 4690k MOBO: MSI Z79 Gaming 5 RaM: 16gb HyperX SSD: 256gb Samsung pro HDD: 1tb Toshiba PSU: Thermaltake smart 750 GPU: 1x GTX 1080 Founders edition

1.4 can do 4k at 30hz

2.0 can do 4k at 60hz

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1.4 can do 4k at 30hz

2.0 can do 4k at 60hz

What about DP?

Because he had a hard drive.

What about DP?

dp can do 4k 60hz but tvs dont have DP input

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

dp can do 4k 60hz but tvs dont have DP input

some of the newer ones do

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

some of the newer ones do

show me a 4k tv with displayport

Spoiler

thats a monitor not a tv

also its 1080p not 4k

theres no point in using DP if you cant take advantage of the 4k 60fps

thats why I said show me a 4K TV that has DP

Spoiler

thats a monitor not a tv

also its 1080p not 4k

theres no point in using DP if you cant take advantage of the 4k 60fps

thats why I said show me a 4K TV that has DP

Ok

Yup there isn't any

Because he had a hard drive.

Ok

Yup there isn't any

exactly

Spoiler

thats also a monitor, not a tv

it says in the description its a monitor built for air traffic control, so its not a consumer product

Spoiler

a tv is just a big monitor you know

I've merged your posts together. Please don't spam posts like this, condense into a single post to begin with or use the forum's "edit" functionality.

Also a TV is a display that takes input from television broadcasts, it's not just a big monitor.

Digital signage (like the 65" 1080p originally linked) is still considered a monitor, not a TV, and they're for commercial applications anyway, no one seriously considers buying them to use as a TV.

Is needing hdmi 1.4 for 4k an actual thing or just a bunch of bs? Ive heard all hdmi cables support 4k and only 1.4 cables do?

HDMI cables don't have revisions. All HDMI cables can do 4K 30Hz except for Category 1 HDMI cables which are practically non-existent. Anyone who saying you need an "HDMI 1.4 cable" has no idea what they're talking about.

The only things that have revisions are the HDMI controllers in the devices at either end of the connection. You'll be limited to whichever one has a lower revision.

Also a TV is a display that takes input from television broadcasts, it's not just a big monitor....no a tv is just a big monitor now...basically no cable companies still use the cable input 

Also a TV is a display that takes input from television broadcasts, it's not just a big monitor....no a tv is just a big monitor now...basically no cable companies still use the cable input

Sorry, but you're simply wrong. You can't find a modern TV without an F-connector input, and you can't find a monitor that has one. Maybe if you Google REALLY hard for it you'll find one, but we're really dealing with mainstream definitions here, obscure products aren't meaningful.

Even if the cable input gets discontinued in the future there are technical differences between a TV and a monitor. Even when all the specs and inputs are all the same and the only physical difference is the size, they still both operate differently and that is the core of what makes them distinct. There are differences in how the display handles signals. For example, TVs overscan HDMI signals they receive, monitors do not. That's why you will get a black border around the image when you plug an AMD card into a 1080p monitor over HDMI, but not on a 1080p TV over HDMI, or likewise you'll get a cut-off image if you plug an NVIDIA or Intel chip into a 1080p TV over HDMI, but not into a 1080p monitor over HDMI.

TVs are also designed to operate as a standalone unit, always including a remote control, and often including some kind of network connectivity now, and a very different internal menu option set. Monitors are designed to be driven from a computer.

other then the remote...your other arguments are just firmware based...

suffice it to say...yes you can get a "device" for watching tv...at 4k with display port...

arguement over :ph34r:

other then the remote...your other arguments are just firmware based...

suffice it to say...yes you can get a "device" for watching tv...at 4k with display port...

arguement over :ph34r:

Yes, they act very differently in a lot of ways and they're designed to be used in different ways. Doesn't matter whether it's software-based or not, that's a significant difference, and they're not interchangeable. If you try to use one for the opposite use, it does make a difference and it does matter. There are plenty of people on this forum who can attest to the experience of using a TV as a monitor and dealing with the abysmal text rendering and so on and so forth.

Not to mention there aren't any home theater devices that have a DisplayPort output anyway, so a DP input is really not useful on a TV. You can only use it with a computer, in which case you may as well get a monitor anwyay.