Building a new rig: 750ti or GTX 960

Hongru

Hi guys, I'm a first time poster here but have watched many of Linus' videos.

I just want to get an opinion from some more tech savvy people on this forum because I'm new to building a computer.

I'm building a mitx build and the only thing left I need is a mobo and gpu. I don't game a lot, only on the weekends and play alot of dota 2 but want to play other games in the future like Rainbow 6 and the Witcher 3 (maybe?)

For the gpu, I have decided to buy a used card and have found two options:

1) a EVGA 750ti Mitx form factor for $90 (CAD)

2) A Gigabyte G1 GTX 960 for $150.

Pretty decent prices for both I think.

Questions I have are: Are both of these cards future proof? And could the 750ti play upcoming games? Is the $60 extra worth it for the 960? Maybe I could use that money towards a better mitx mobo.

I'm sticking to these two options because of my psu and these cards are more power efficient from what I've read as compared to a Radeon.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Hi guys, I'm a first time poster here but have watched many of Linus' videos.

I just want to get an opinion from some more tech savvy people on this forum because I'm new to building a computer.

I'm building a mitx build and the only thing left I need is a mobo and gpu. I don't game a lot, only on the weekends and play alot of dota 2 but want to play other games in the future like Rainbow 6 and the Witcher 3 (maybe?)

For the gpu, I have decided to buy a used card and have found two options:

1) a EVGA 750ti Mitx form factor for $90 (CAD)

2) A Gigabyte G1 GTX 960 for $150.

Pretty decent prices for both I think.

Questions I have are: Are both of these cards future proof? And could the 750ti play upcoming games? Is the $60 extra worth it for the 960? Maybe I could use that money towards a better mitx mobo.

I'm sticking to these two options because of my psu and these cards are more power efficient from what I've read as compared to a Radeon.

Cheers!

960 for sure. What about the r9 280?

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Get a 280x

Edit just noticed you don't wamt AMD. They're really not that less efficient. Even with a 500w psu you could easily use a r9 card.

Get an amd card and a new psu. 430w is barely enough for anything.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Hey there, welcome aboard :) 

Yep, I agree with Imperus, go for the 960 if you can afford it! 

Radeon cards do consume more, but tbh its negligible. Do consider the 280, its slightly more future proof with its 3 gb of ram 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Thanks for the reply.

Well my psu is 430w so I have to go with a gpu that's less power consuming. From what I've read the 960 uses maxwell architecture (so does the 750ti) so I'm kind of limited to these type of cards. I looked at the 280x but it's more power consuming than the 960.

Get a 280x

Edit just noticed you don't wamt AMD. They're really not that less efficient. Even with a 500w psu you could easily use a r9 card.

Edit nvm you can't with that psu.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

In my opinion i would buy the 750ti for a short while.

Then save up for a better graphics card.

Or even just stick with integrated graphics (if you have this) until you get a better graphics card like the 280x.

As long as you're playing dota 2 and nothing else intensive, then you can hold on with the graphics card till you can afford something a little better.

But if i really had to choose right now between the two, then i would go with the 960.

When in doubt: C4

By your options: gtx 960

Other options: 280x just whoops at Price:preformance

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

In my opinion i would buy the 750ti for a short while.

Then save up for a better graphics card.

Or even just stick with integrated graphics (if you have this) until you get a better graphics card like the 280x.

As long as you're playing dota 2 and nothing else intensive, then you can hold on with the graphics card till you can afford something a little better.

But if i really had to choose right now between the two, then i would go with the 960.

No, never do that. It's best to get the best card you can because if you buy one for now and one later, you usually end up spending more in the long run.

Thanks Nup :)

Yup as I said above I'm using a 430w corsair psu lol :P it probably won't be able to handle the 280 power.

I know I can find a used 280x for $140 too.

What's good to me about the 960 is the power efficiency of the card in relation to my psu.

Thanks for the response guys.

I bought the corsair 430w psu a while ago and can't return it. I should have got a least a 500w psu to open my options. Unfortunately, I can't unless I spend another $50 dollars on a new psu and offload my corsair psu in order to get a 280x.

Is the 280x alot you tech-savvy peeps out there talking about much better than the 960?

Is the 280x alot you tech-savvy peeps out there talking about much better than the 960?

It performs better in almost every game and has 50% more vram (useful for very high textures in games like SoM and modded Skyrim), so yea it's a decent amount better. However, if you need to buy a new PSU, I'd just go with the 960. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Thanks for the response guys.

I bought the corsair 430w psu a while ago and can't return it. I should have got a least a 500w psu to open my options. Unfortunately, I can't unless I spend another $50 dollars on a new psu and offload my corsair psu in order to get a 280x.

A good quality 430 Watt PSU is fine for this kind of build if you're going to stick with a cool, quiet card like the GTX 750 Ti or GTX 960. Future upgrades that actually fit inside this build will likely use as much or less power, not likely more.

The 280X is a bit faster than the GTX 960 and has a mountain of VRAM and memory bandwidth. It makes a ton of sense in a desktop mid-tower or full tower, but I doubt you're going to find one to comfortably fit in a mini-ITX case. And it will run quite a bit warmer.

I would absolutely take the 960 over the 750 Ti. It's a lot faster.

Thank you for all the input and advice guys.

I'm going for the 960. Seems like there's no love for the 750ti lol.

A lot of you suggested the 280x which would've been slightly better for a similar price but I can't go with it due to my PSU.

Safe to say I got my answer here.

Cheers and thanks to all!

Thanks Nup :)

Yup as I said above I'm using a 430w corsair psu lol :P it probably won't be able to handle the 280 power.

I know I can find a used 280x for $140 too.

What's good to me about the 960 is the power efficiency of the card in relation to my psu.

No worries! Oh and be sure to quote people, that way none of your responses are missed! 

Ahh that would have been nice alright. I'm not sure how close it is with the 430 watt, but certainly close.

The 280x is the nicer card, especially with its extra GB of vram.  But a good OC on a 960 will do you very well too. 

I'm not sure how close it is with the 430 watt, but certainly close.

http://techreport.com/review/27702/nvidia-geforce-gtx-960-graphics-card-reviewed/11

Here's some system power consumption data for a test X79 system with a GTX 960 (and other cards). Their load figures are given using Crysis 3, so it's not an absolutely worst-case scenario load, but I doubt the OP's system would ever demand more than maybe 300 Watts.

http://techreport.com/review/27702/nvidia-geforce-gtx-960-graphics-card-reviewed/11

Here's some system power consumption data for a test X79 system with a GTX 960 (and other cards). Their load figures are given using Crysis 3, so it's not an absolutely worst-case scenario load, but I doubt the OP's system would ever demand more than maybe 300 Watts.

Oh thats good to know, they really do sip the ol power. Thanks for letting me know. 

At least OP will rest assured he'll have plenty of room to OC!

That's good to know :)

Thanks Nup and typographie. I have no Idea how to overclock but I'm sure I'll post again for help after I build my rig lol

Don't get an R9 280. Its not as powerful as the 960 and R9 285, it just doesn't have enough power to drive that 3GB well enough. The 960 or 285 are way better. 

CPU: G3258 @ 4GHz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 960 OC RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 SSD: Corsair LS 120GB Case: Antec GX500 Mouse: Logitech G402 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Headphones: Shure SRH440 Microphone: That Zalman Zm-Mic1 that everyone recommends but noone uses

Remember when the R9 280 was the HD 7950? Pepperidge Farm remembers.  

Running two AMD Cards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwn1NTK-50

wait a while longer...save up a bit more...and ge the psu and gpu..280x

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

They're both pretty similar price/performance.  More or less just get what you want to spend based on how much you plan to play.  Neither will be futureproof with 2GB VRAM, so think shorter term.

-snip-

Cheers!

First: None of these two cards are future proof as most graphics card but more so for these.

Secondly, the 960 would be a better choice than the 750ti.

Third, mobo dont any impact on performance so no need to invest more in a mobo as long as its well reviewd and is reliable

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

Get a 280x

Get an amd card and a new psu. 430w is barely enough for anything.

Its enough even for a 980. Off course, its might be cutting it close for any amd cards

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

I'd get the 960 4GB version if you could afford it.

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress