What card for 1440p 144hz?

Mnemosyune

Hey all, 

I'm getting a G-Sync 1440p 144hz monitor to play CSGO mostly and Witcher 3 once out. I currently have a R9 280, would it be capable of CSGO at 120+hz? Should I upgrade to a 980 right now or wait a bit for something like 980ti or 390x? 

Hey all, 

I'm getting a G-Sync 1440p 144hz monitor to play CSGO mostly and Witcher 3 once out. I currently have a R9 280, would it be capable of CSGO at 120+hz? Should I upgrade to a 980 right now or wait a bit for something like 980ti or 390x? 

for csgo you dont need such a high end card, get a gtx 970,  this game shouldnt need much more power than BF1942

The 280x should be capable of playing cs go at 120+ hz 1440p, maybe just with a bit lower settings. My 660ti gives me above 60fps in cs go and 1440p.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Hey all, 

The R9 280 should be capable of running CS:GO at that res and fps.

This guys has a GTX 770 (Which is close to an R9 280X in performance) and runs the at  Ultra 1440p with min 170fps.

That should be plenty (just cap the fps at 144 :P )

As for the Witcher, that would probably ALOT require more for 1440p144fps it seems like now.

But we can't give a conclusive answer on that one 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

sidenote: did no one spot the "G-Sync" and "R9 280" thingy?

either i missed some really big news, or you need nVidia vor G-sync (get adaptivesync if you want AMD)

OT: 960 will do for CS:GO, but since you seem to have the money for an expensive monitor, get yourself a 970 (or 980 if you have even more money)

sidenote: my GTX970 plays CS:GO at 60FPS without the fans turning on. (quietness bonus)

This guys has a GTX 770 (Which is close to an R9 280X in performance) and runs the at  Ultra 1440p with min 170fps.

As for the Witcher, that would probably ALOT require more for 1440p144fps it seems like now.

r9 280x and gtx  770 perform the same (if the game doesnt need more than 2GB of Vram) in the end it comes down to the game, which one will get more fps

for csgo you dont need such a high end card, get a gtx 970,  this game shouldnt need much more power than BF1942

The 280x should be capable of playing cs go at 120+ hz 1440p, maybe just with a bit lower settings. My 660ti gives me above 60fps in cs go and 1440p.

Its a 280 no X model. Do you think it would get more than 120fps? If only 60fps then I'm kinda wasting my 144hz refresh rate.

I'm worried at 144hz I can't get around 140 fps. That would've ruined the purpose of using a 144hz monitor. However, I am upgrading so I'm only wondering if I should upgrade to 980 right now simply because the 280 can't handle the res or I can wait a bit for new gen stuff.

sidenote: did no one spot the "G-Sync" and "R9 280" thingy?

either i missed some really big news, or you need nVidia vor G-sync (get adaptivesync if you want AMD)

OT: 960 will do for CS:GO, but since you seem to have the money for an expensive monitor, get yourself a 970 (or 980 if you have even more money)

sidenote: my GTX970 plays CS:GO at 60FPS without the fans turning on. (quietness bonus)

Yeah, what I am asking is basically if my 280 can handle my setup for now so I can wait for new card. I am upgrading anyways but I heard 980ti is coming out so I don't know if I should buy a 980 now.

I'm worried at 144hz I can't get around 140 fps. That would've ruined the purpose of using a 144hz monitor. However, I am upgrading so I'm only wondering if I should upgrade to 980 right now simply because the 280 can't handle the res or I can wait a bit for new gen stuff.

Well, you're going to get a Gsync monitor so Nvidia is the only logical GPU brand to get.

You should wait until the Witcher 3 comes out and see how it performs with the GTX 980 on 1440p.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Yeah, what I am asking is basically if my 280 can handle my setup for now so I can wait for new card. I am upgrading anyways but I heard 980ti is coming out so I don't know if I should buy a 980 now.

to be honest, i've ran CS:GO on a GT640, and i never dipped below 60, i'm pretty sure a 280 will do above and beyond what that GT640 can even dream of.

as for the witcher 3, i have no clue, dont have experience with it sadly.

to be honest, i've ran CS:GO on a GT640, and i never dipped below 60, i'm pretty sure a 280 will do above and beyond what that GT640 can even dream of.

as for the witcher 3, i have no clue, dont have experience with it sadly.

Does higher refresh rate = higher graphic card demand?

Well, you're going to get a Gsync monitor so Nvidia is the only logical GPU brand to get.

You should wait until the Witcher 3 comes out and see how it performs with the GTX 980 on 1440p.

That's true, is there any news on 980ti?

Does higher refresh rate = higher graphic card demand?

well... higher refresh rate means higher needed FPS in-game.

for example: a 60Hz panel will require 60FPS to not have stuttering, and will have tearing above that 60FPS

a 144Hz panel will require 144PFS to not have stuttering, and will have tearing above that 144FPS

the beauty of G-sync is that it changes the monitor's refresh rate to match the FPS you have in-game (between 34 and 144Hz i believe)

now, G-sync only works with an nVidia GPU.

EDIT: forgot to mention: you can divide needed FPS like so:

60Hz panel can run 30FPS without stuttering (actually each frame stutters, but all equally as long, thus invisible)

144Hz panel can run 72FPS (same story here)

144Hz can run 36FPS (once again, same story)µ

EDIT EDIT: never go lower than 60FPS for high-speed games like shooters, its terribro.

Witcher 3 at ultra at 1440p with decent frames you will need a better GPU that's for sure.