21:9 Monitor Shopping

wingnut

I'm on the lookout for a good quality and cheap 21:9 29" monitor (I think they are all 29" though). I really want to find a cheap monitor although part of me thinks that for this size of a monitor, I should drop more cash into this purchase. However, I am having a hard time telling the difference between the $500 brand name I have never heard of and the $600 Dell's and the one $800 LG. I noticed that LG has a wide variety of these monitors ranging in price from $550 to $800. The brand that I discovered was AOC. Here is a link to the cheapest monitor I could find:

http://www.amazon.ca/AOC-q2963Pm-29-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00BOEUQZK/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1373610519&sr=1-4&keywords=21%3A9+AOC . I don't want to spent too much money if I don't have to.

So, here are some key questions I have:

What will I lose by going cheap?

Can the $500 monitor be that bad if AOC claims they are the "world leader in display manufacturing"?

Is there anything out there that you can find for less money?

And bonus points can someone tell me if my GTX 570 will support this weird resolution and aspect ratio?

Why do you need that and it all depends on the driver .

I want it because I will not be able to stand the bezel on a duel monitor set up. I think I will enjoy the greater real estate all on one screen for most applications as well as games (mainly racing). I am aware that not all games support 21:9 though.

your 570 should support the resolution no problem as far as I know. But the monitor, yea it is interesting. I can't tell you much else besides that, except the dell is probably a good bet. I love dell monitors personally, but I have only ever used ultrasharps.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

I'm on the lookout for a good quality and cheap 21:9 29" monitor (I think they are all 29" though). I really want to find a cheap monitor although part of me thinks that for this size of a monitor, I should drop more cash into this purchase. However, I am having a hard time telling the difference between the $500 brand name I have never heard of and the $600 Dell's and the one $800 LG. I noticed that LG has a wide variety of these monitors ranging in price from $550 to $800. The brand that I discovered was AOC. Here is a link to the cheapest monitor I could find:

http://www.amazon.ca/AOC-q2963Pm-29-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00BOEUQZK/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1373610519&sr=1-4&keywords=21%3A9+AOC . I don't want to spent too much money if I don't have to.

So, here are some key questions I have:

What will I lose by going cheap?

Can the $500 monitor be that bad if AOC claims they are the "world leader in display manufacturing"?

Is there anything out there that you can find for less money?

And bonus points can someone tell me if my GTX 570 will support this weird resolution and aspect ratio?

The main difference is that LG has precise calibrations and viewing (brightness, colour and angles). Remember their the company that developed and patented the IPS technology. But even besides that the ea93 recently got a revision, where they calibrated the internal colours to be as precise as possible and from what I've read on review sites it's made a huge impact. However the one disadvantage to the ea93 is that unless you're using a VESA mount, you have no access to height adjustment.

So really you have those two options to choose from. Do you want better, brighter colours or height and swivel options? Oh also! The build quality is better on the Lg with their brushed aluminum vs all plastic or atleast to me it is.

This is the best one that I found a while back Philips 298P4QJEB/00 http://goo.gl/tMksT that may have changed now with more people entering the market.

your 570 should support the resolution no problem as far as I know. But the monitor, yea it is interesting. I can't tell you much else besides that, except the dell is probably a good bet. I love dell monitors personally, but I have only ever used ultrasharps.

I will take your word for it but I guess if the GTX570's max resolution is 2560X1600 then I don't see why it wouldn't work.

The main difference is that LG has precise calibrations and viewing (brightness, colour and angles). Remember their the company that developed and patented the IPS technology. But even besides that the ea93 recently got a revision, where they calibrated the internal colours to be as precise as possible and from what I've read on review sites it's made a huge impact. However the one disadvantage to the ea93 is that unless you're using a VESA mount, you have no access to height adjustment.

So really you have those two options to choose from. Do you want better, brighter colours or height and swivel options? Oh also! The build quality is better on the Lg with their brushed aluminum vs all plastic or atleast to me it is.

In terms of the colour and display, I think I will enjoy any monitor that I end up choosing considering that I have always purchased lower end monitors in the past with not the best displays and am very used to their colour output. The build quality has never been too big of a deal to me when buying monitors. When I eventually get the money for a new PSU and a 700 series GPU (to run my current and future monitor at once) I will probably end up buying a duel mount for my 23" right now along with the 29" that I plan to get. At this point, with the info you gave about the overall display of the AOC, I might just go with that one. But my mind can still be changed.

This is the best one that I found a while back Philips 298P4QJEB/00 http://goo.gl/tMksT that may have changed now with more people entering the market.

Looks good but the only problem is the closest place (as far as I could find) that I could buy this is somewhere in Europe. I think the shipping costs would get out of hand by the time it reaches me here in Canada. Thanks though.

Looks good but the only problem is the closest place (as far as I could find) that I could buy this is somewhere in Europe. I think the shipping costs would get out of hand by the time it reaches me here in Canada. Thanks though.

What are some other options that you have? Basically you want to look for AH-IPS first and formost, then W-LED or even better GB-LED. Ive been hoping that asus would launch a PA or PB in this size but I dont know how likely this is to happen.