Two internet services one house?

theelitegamer
Go to solution Solved by samcool55,

Well, why should you not be able to have both?

There is no reason you can't.

They work both identical. But you will have 2 modems/routers instead of 1. 

But i'm not sure you can have 1 internal network with 2 isp's active.

You probably will need 2 seperate networks. But i'm not sure about that, there might be a solution, but i don't know.

What you can do is connect a wire of isp 1 and another wire of isp 2 to your pc, and choose with windows, linux or whatever which one you want to use.

Hey guys, just have a quick question! Can you have two internet services in one house? TO put you guys in perspective my dad uses TWC, but when Google Fiber comes out to my city (later this year), I want to buy it for myself. Is there anyway we could have both in one house? If so how?  

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

Yes you can.

They will just connect you on their network so you will have 2 cables at home instead of one.

You probably will need 2 seperate networks. But i'm not sure about that, there might be a solution, but i don't know.

What you can do is connect a wire of isp 1 and another wire of isp 2 to your pc, and choose with windows, linux or whatever which one you want to use.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

yes, you can have more than one ISP

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

Sure you can have as many as you like. You can even get a router that combines all of those connections into one, Load Balancing it's called...

you can, but you will likly have 2 routers unless you get yourself a special one. i dont see why your dad would not want google fibre, split the price bro

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

Thanks, From my understanding. That'll google setup another wire and a modem and I'll just connect to it? 

you can, but you will likly have 2 routers unless you get yourself a special one. i dont see why your dad would not want google fibre, split the price bro

I tired convincing him but, him and this ''Google wants all your info''. Or google have too much power. And I could live with 70 dollars per month bill on my back. 

I would be a lot easier to just remove Comcast and switch to Google Fiber, but if you want to use both you will need two separate networks to use it. I believe there are router that can handle two ISPs. 

And I want two routers, I'm the only one going be using Google Fiber. 

I would be a lot easier to just remove Comcast and switch to Google Fiber, but if you want to use both you will need two separate networks to use it. I believe there are router that can handle two ISPs. 

Can you give me a link? To the router that can? There's no way two different routers in the same house?

I tired convincing him but, him and this ''Google wants all your info''. Or google have too much power. And I could live with 70 dollars per month bill on my back. 

His first point is right and his second point is right lol. 

But tell him no matter what ISP you use Google still gets your info and will still be too powerful ;)

His first point is right and his second point is right lol. 

But tell him no matter what ISP you use Google still gets your info and will still be too powerful ;)

Ah, won't change his mind. Though the bright side is that I'll have an internet all too myself. 50 mbps still is slow with 5 people on it. 

Can you give me a link? To the router that can? There's no way two different routers in the same house?

When I said separate networks, I meant two routers and then the computer linked to those. You can definitely have two routers. 

When I said separate networks, I meant two routers and then the computer linked to those. You can definitely have two routers. 

I'm sorry I'm a noob when it comes to networking. So two routers, my dad's and then mine? And His router will be ''linked'' to his computer and mines will be ''linked'' to my computer?

I'm sorry I'm a noob when it comes to networking. So two routers, my dad's and then mine? And His router will be ''linked'' to his computer and mines will be ''linked'' to my computer?

Yes also know as connected to.

Yes also know as connected to.

Thanks, that's all I needed to know. Now All is needed is Google to hurry up and come out.