Replacing GPU

theereal

Hi :) i have a computer with a Nvidia Geforce GTX 760 (OEM), and im thinking of replacing it in the future ofc, my CPU is Intel Core i5 4460 3.2 Ghz, when i switch out this gpu is there anything i should keep in mind? And which GPU's can i replace it with? :)

970 if you have money go for 980 :) goes as up ask you can afford, best to have some sli compatibility for future upgrades. 

Magical Pineapples

Hi :) i have a computer with a Nvidia Geforce GTX 760 (OEM), and im thinking of replacing it in the future ofc, my CPU is Intel Core i5 4460 3.2 Ghz, when i switch out this gpu is there anything i should keep in mind? And which GPU's can i replace it with? :)

what is the watts of your power supply? or what kind of power supply do you have

what is the watts of your power supply? or what kind of power supply do you have

Hmmmm, im not at home atm and i cant find it on the website where i bougth the computer :/ guess ill just have to check when i get home

970 if you have money go for 980 :) goes as up ask you can afford, best to have some sli compatibility for future upgrades. 

did someone say SLI?

you should be able to swap in any GPU, that's a fine CPU you have there. just plug and play.

i'd suggest a gtx970 or 980 if you have the budget. they're great. SLI if you can, because SLI is amazing!

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Hmmmm, im not at home atm and i cant find it on the website where i bougth the computer :/ guess ill just have to check when i get home

Gasp! a prebuilt system :o

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Gasp! a prebuilt system :o

Yes, I dont really know how to build a computer, im sure it woudlnt have been to hard, but i wanted one asap, since i fried my laptops cpu by trying to run games that it couldnt handle and then overclocking it :P haha

Yes, I dont really know how to build a computer, im sure it woudlnt have been to hard, but i wanted one asap, since i fried my laptops cpu by trying to run games that it couldnt handle and then overclocking it :P haha

lrn2bld scrub.

love how you learn to OC before you learn to build. normally that's backwards.

Where did you buy your computer? also swapping gpus is one of the easiest things in the world just take the old one out pop the new one in plug the cables back in and you are done

Where did you buy your computer? also swapping gpus is one of the easiest things in the world just take the old one out pop the new one in plug the cables back in and you are done

Would i need a new fan or something?

Would i need a new fan or something?

Gpus have fans already put into them unless you have really cramped pc then no you dont need a new fan

Gpus have fans already put into them unless you have really cramped pc then no you dont need a new fan

And power supply? If i switch to a 970 does it use the same power supply as my old 760 (OEM) ?

did someone say SLI?

you should be able to swap in any GPU, that's a fine CPU you have there. just plug and play.

i'd suggest a gtx970 or 980 if you have the budget. they're great. SLI if you can, because SLI is amazing!

Why SLI?

As far as I know SLI doesn't have any advantages over 1 higher end GPU apart from the price.

Some games don't even have SLI compatibility

Why SLI?

As far as I know SLI doesn't have any advantages over 1 higher end GPU apart from the price.

Some games don't even have SLI compatibility

GTA 5 for example  <_<

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

And power supply? If i switch to a 970 does it use the same power supply as my old 760 (OEM) ?

psu isnt going anywhere if you switch the gpu. psu isnt integrated to anything

GTA 5 for example  <_<

but it does...

but it does...

still crappy SLi support IMO

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

psu isnt going anywhere if you switch the gpu. psu isnt integrated to anything

So i dont have to change it, right?

still crappy SLi support IMO

why do you say that? any improvement is an improvement.

So i dont have to change it, right?

as long as it has GPU 6/8 pins and plenty of power, no, you don't need to change.

Ok, good to know i dont have to change power supply aswell :) Thanks for all the help, much appriciated :)

as long as it has GPU 6/8 pins and plenty of power, no, you don't need to change.

One last question from the noob here :P how do i check for these "GPU pins" ?

the ends look like this:

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/attachments/pcie6-2-jpg.57637/

they go directly into the side of the GPU

if you have 760 installed there should be 6pin connector already connected to it 8 pin connector looks the same except has 8pins instead of 6