Steam Market Crash

Comessy

So I was looking on the steam market today to buy a new knife in Csgo. Last week I sold my old Blue Steel Gut knife (MW) for $96CAD. I went on the market this morning to see what new knife I wanted to buy. I went to go look at the Blue Steel Gut knife to see how its price was doing, seeing if I made a mistake or not, and I definitely did not. It is now $70CAD! The Slaghter Gut (FT) went from 100 to 70, the doppler gut (FN) went from 145 to 95, and the Vanilla huntsman went from 157 to 106! What happened to the market? Why did everything just lose 30-40% value? Does it have something to do with GTA5 coming out?

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

95 dollars for a fucking mass of pixels in the shape of a knife? DAYUM!!!!!

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Dragon Lore is $2500

Calm down

yes, especially stat trek items, at least the blues and purples did

the more items on the market, the less they are worth

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

I think more things went into the market and some people are aggressive about there prices.

@Firearm2112

Then don't buy it, it doesn't make a difference in skill it's just for looks but I heard the karambit gives extra damage.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I think more things went into the market and some people are aggressive about there prices.

@Firearm2112

Then don't buy it, it doesn't make a difference in skill it's just for looks but I heard the karambit gives extra damage.

Karambit doesn't do extra damage, its all just for looks

Karambit doesn't do extra damage, its all just for looks

Good thing.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

@Firearm2112

Hit the nail on the head. The first few people to post items generally set their price. After that price slowly spirals down, each person listing an item either just defaults to the lowest current price, or 1-2c below it to sell faster. The steam market is not the greatest example of a real-world trade market as it's incredibly unstable and random at times, completely at control of a single group who might decide to undercut the prices on certain items, like a while back when a particular trade group decided to cut Dragon claw prices, buying up a bunch of em, and taking control of a large quantity, then reselling them at a much much lower price, reducing their value significantly without changing the amount in the market.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

A friend of mine got $230

Dragon Lore is $2500

Calm down

Y dat much tho

Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Steam | Twitch | YT | Build

Hit the nail on the head. The first few people to post items generally set their price. After that price slowly spirals down, each person listing an item either just defaults to the lowest current price, or 1-2c below it to sell faster. The steam market is not the greatest example of a real-world trade market as it's incredibly unstable and random at times, completely at control of a single group who might decide to undercut the prices on certain items, like a while back when a particular trade group decided to cut Dragon claw prices, buying up a bunch of em, and taking control of a large quantity, then reselling them at a much much lower price, reducing their value significantly without changing the amount in the market.

That seems like a stupid plan, why would you lose money /? 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

To make other people lose money

To make other people lose money

-__-  So much hate.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Stat-Trak M9 Bayonet Crimson Web Factory New sold for like 23,850 dollars

I think people sold their stuff to get gtav.

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Stat-Trak M9 Bayonet Crimson Web Factory New sold for like 23,850 dollars

Makes sense as there is a cap to how much your can sell for

Makes sense as there is a cap to how much your can sell for

It sold on paypal

It sold on paypal

And the guy didn't get scammed?

I think Steam being completely unregulated is highly more volatile and susceptible to market fluctuations. If someone is taking economy lessons or classes in collegue I'd be a fun project actually.

-------

Current Rig

-------

There was no reason, they were proving a point that the market is not a place to make a living.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Ah guys I figured it out, it was because

1. Chroma 2 case came out

2. CAD went up

3. Gta5 came out

You'd have to be crazy to buy anything on the csgo market at the moment. One of my knives dropped from 340 to 265usd in about a week. I have another two knives that dropped from 160  and 150 that are now sitting around 130 each.

Almost every item has crashed in price by about 25% or more, a few things though have held their value but it's only really sort after items.