What does Linus do with his ESD strap?

Dimi3os

The case I believe....

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: 32Gb DDR4  GPU(s): MSI 6800-XT Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x with CableMod Displays: 1 x Asus ROG Swift And 3 x 24" 1080p Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Sound: AKG 553 Operating System: Windows 10

Current PC: 

http://i.imgur.com/ubYSO3f.jpg          http://i.imgur.com/xhpDcqd.jpg

could be an outlet somewhere?

That would kill him... If you mean a wall outlet.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: 32Gb DDR4  GPU(s): MSI 6800-XT Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x with CableMod Displays: 1 x Asus ROG Swift And 3 x 24" 1080p Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Sound: AKG 553 Operating System: Windows 10

Current PC: 

no it wouldnt kill him if he grounds himself out....meaning he plugs it into the ground plug on an outlet.

Oh I thought you meant like straight into a wall outlet I was like HE WILL DIE!

Current PC: 

Oh I thought you meant like straight into a wall outlet I was like HE WILL DIE!

no no no youd really have to jam one in there to make it even fit. 

askdjfasdf

no no no youd really have to jam one in there to make it even fit. 

Lmao true.

Current PC: 

He always claims it's on his ankle, but you never actually see it. It's something a product manager would do, convey the precautions but in reality be loose about them since it probably just gets in the way and clutters up an already-cluttered office. The possibility of a failure is there since an esd discharge you can't even feel can potentially damage the board, but in reality this never exists, especially in a moderately-humid environment (off the coast of BC mind you.) I'm also educatedly-guessing that you would need an impressive amount of voltage to kill a premium-end board. The mat on the table is probably enough and there isn't carpeting in the kitchen.

Take a look at the convention videos, he always holds up gpu's freely touching the gold contacts and even this is usually not enough to damage a part even considering you're walking around everywhere with rubber shoes.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

....ever heard of a chastity belt?

junker build in the making

Lmao true.

Not in Europe <3

....ever heard of a chastity belt?

I looked this up... And it's totaly missplaced bruh. Although it might suit Linus ;)

I know he wears it on his ancle, so where does he groun himself?

I live in a very dry climate and have built many pc's without the esd strap. i just touch the power supply before touching any critical components.

Super OP AF Killer Retro Emulation PC 360 No Scope 420 Blaze It (Sorry I Couldn't Help It) Seriously Though This PC Is Overkill And Before You Ask It Does Play Crysis 1024x768 60 FPS

Intel Core Duo 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz // ASUS P5N-D // Zalman CNPS9500A Air Cooler // 4GB G.Skill @ 400MHz 5 5 5 31 23 // 2 Way SLI GeForce 9800 GTX+ // 32" SONY WEGA CRT TV 480i // Corsair TX750 // Seagate 3TB // Win XP 32Bit // Sony DVD RW // ANTEC Full Tower // Steel Series H Wireless // Logitech K520 Wireless Keyboard // Logitech M510 Wireless Mouse // Logitech G27 Racing Wheel // Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS // HORI Fight Stick Mini // 8Bitdo NES30 Pro / FC30 Pro / SNES30 / SFC30 Bluetooth Controllers

Future Upgrades The New 8Bitdo Wireless SNES Controller With Analog Sticks / 8Bitdo Bluetooth Arcade Fight Stick / Proper HD I Know This Machine Does Not Support 3 TB / Icy Dock 5.25 4 Bay HD Hot Swap Bay For More Seamless Multi Booting Want To Run At Least Win 95, Win XP, Win 7 

i7 3770k @ 4.5Ghz // ASUS Maximus V Formula // CM Hyper 212 EVO // 16GB G.Skill Sniper @ 2133MHz 9 11 10 28 // Crossfire Sapphire 7970 // 42" 4K 60Hz FreeSync WasabiMango IPS // Corsair AX860 // Samsung 1TB 840EVO // Seagate 3TB // Seagate Barracuda 160GB sata II // OCZ Vertex 3 90GB sata III // Win 10 64Bit // ASUS DVD RW // 2 Corsair AF 120 // 2 Corsair SP 120 // 2 xigmatek 120 // Corsair 760t white flavor // NZXT HUE+ RGB Controller // Sennheiser G4me Zero // Steel Series H // Corsair M95 // Corsair K95 // 3 Xbox 360 Controllers // Dolphin Bar // Wii U Mote // Leap Motion Plus // Logitech G27 Racing Wheel // Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS // HORI Fight Stick Mini // 8Bitdo NES30 Pro / FC30 Pro / SNES30 / SFC30 Bluetooth Controllers

Future Upgrades 1080Ti or Vega RX64 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/16900-nothing-special/

He always claims it's on his ankle, but you never actually see it. It's something a product manager would do, convey the precautions but in reality be loose about them since it probably just gets in the way and clutters up an already-cluttered office. The possibility of a failure is there since an esd discharge you can't even feel can potentially damage the board, but in reality this never exists, especially in a moderately-humid environment (off the coast of BC mind you.) I'm also educatedly-guessing that you would need an impressive amount of voltage to kill a premium-end board. The mat on the table is probably enough and there isn't carpeting in the kitchen.

Take a look at the convention videos, he always holds up gpu's freely touching the gold contacts and even this is usually not enough to damage a part even considering you're walking around everywhere with rubber shoes.

Just an FYI, ESD bands are mroeso for the CPU itself, not the motherboard.

Yes, you can fry any piece of electronics/circuit board/PCB. That includes motherboards, but you correctly state, it does take a fairly hefty discharge to fry a motherboard.

A CPU on the other hand? Not so much. You can actually fry a CPU with a discharge that so light that you didn't even feel the shock. They are incredibly sensitive devices. Is it likely to happen? No, not really, if you ground yourself often and are very cautious.

But can it still happen? Yes, most definitely. Even grounding yourself every couple minutes won't eliminate the risk, unless you're 100% grounded 100% of the time, via an ESD band.

Also, LMG has an ESD Mat. These mats have a grounding plug on them, which you connect to a ground source (The ground plug in a 3-pin outlet, or a PSU that's plugged into the wall outlet, but turned off, etc). The ESD Mat is almost equivalent of wearing an ESD band, since you ground yourself every time you touch it, and you put all your components on the mat anyway.

Furthermore, the ESD Mat has a place for an ESD Band to be grounded, if I recall correctly.

In any case - especially if it's your job, and you deal with a lot of expensive equipment that is on loan as review copies... you shouldn't take the chance. Wearing an ESD Band is such a small inconvenience, that it's really just not worth the risk to do without one.

TL;DR, just wear the damn ESD Band :P

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

pretty sure they have power sockets all around that recording table, so finding a grounding pin to connect the strap to wont be too difficult

no it wouldnt kill him if he grounds himself out....meaning he plugs it into the ground plug on an outlet.

Do you mean this hole?

post-45370-0-88532200-1429018256_thumb.j

CPU AMD FX-6300 Motherboard MSI 970A-G43 RAM G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2x4GB) GPU PNY GTX 660 Case NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) Storage1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue PSU Corsair 500W Display(s)AOC and Viewsonic Cooling Enermax ETS-T40-TB Keyboard CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid with Blue Switches Dollar Store Mouse Sound Dollar Store Speaker

I never pay attention to that

I've never use an anti-static strap in my life

i5-4690k @ 4.2GHz | Asus Radeon R9 290 DirectCU II | Hyper 212 EVO | ASRock Z97 Extreme3 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz, Corsair XMS 4GB | 850 EVO 250GB, random 1TB drive | Corsair 200R | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W | Rosewill RK-9000BR | Logitech G700s | Logitech G930 | ViewSonic VG2427wm, Dell S2209W, Dell S2009W

Dell Inspiron 3147

Latitude E5420, Samsung 840 EVO 250gb, 12gb RAM, 1600x900 display

Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz | WD Red 2TB x3 in RAID-Z, Crucial MX100 128GB(cache drive) | Fractal Design Node 304 | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB | EVGA 500B

HTC One M8 64GB, Droid Razr M

@mustafaali61 yes, that bottom hole that you circled is the Ground Plug.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Yes, you can fry any piece of electronics/circuit board/PCB. That includes motherboards, but you correctly state, it does take a fairly hefty discharge to fry a motherboard.

A CPU on the other hand? Not so much. You can actually fry a CPU with a discharge that so light that you didn't even feel the shock. They are incredibly sensitive devices. Is it likely to happen? No, not really, if you ground yourself often and are very cautious.

But can it still happen? Yes, most definitely. Even grounding yourself every couple minutes won't eliminate the risk, unless you're 100% grounded 100% of the time, via an ESD band.

Also, LMG has an ESD Mat. These mats have a grounding plug on them, which you connect to a ground source (The ground plug in a 3-pin outlet, or a PSU that's plugged into the wall outlet, but turned off, etc). The ESD Mat is almost equivalent of wearing an ESD band, since you ground yourself every time you touch it, and you put all your components on the mat anyway.

Furthermore, the ESD Mat has a place for an ESD Band to be grounded, if I recall correctly.

In any case - especially if it's your job, and you deal with a lot of expensive equipment that is on loan as review copies... you shouldn't take the chance. Wearing an ESD Band is such a small inconvenience, that it's really just not worth the risk to do without one.

couldn't agree more. i always hear people say they never broke anything with esd. and that might be true but for me it is like having an airbag in your car.

better safe than sorry. plus i had a buddy kill his gpu because of esd yes it was because the moron dropped after getting zapped it it was still because of esd.  

small question if I'm barefoot am I safe ?

small question if I'm barefoot am I safe ?

depends waht are you standing on?

wood

Safe from what, exactly?

Safe from causing ESD without grounding yourself/wearing an ESD band? No. Not necessarily. While yes, something like carpet is more electrostatically charged, it's not the only source. Even your regular day to day clothing can cause ESD build-up. Not to mention touching other objects can do the same.

If you were wearing a 100% static free clean-room suit, with gloves, then sure, standing on wood is perfectly safe.

But if you're wearing normal clothes, then no. ESD can still happen.

Of course, people are free to do whatever they want. It's their equipment. But an ESD band doesn't cause much of an inconvenience - especially compared to the potential risks.

Safe from what, exactly?

Safe from causing ESD without grounding yourself/wearing an ESD band? No. Not necessarily. While yes, something like carpet is more electrostatically charged, it's not the only source. Even your regular day to day clothing can cause ESD build-up. Not to mention touching other objects can do the same.

If you were wearing a 100% static free clean-room suit, with gloves, then sure, standing on wood is perfectly safe.

But if you're wearing normal clothes, then no. ESD can still happen.

Of course, people are free to do whatever they want. It's their equipment. But an ESD band doesn't cause much of an inconvenience - especially compared to the potential risks.

I was asking about being barefoot on wood normally it should discharge me, no?