What does Linus do with his ESD strap?

Dimi3os

I don't know about you guys, but I build up enough charge to cause a hefty zap just pushing the shopping trolly around the supermarket.  Vinyl floor, and no grounding point on the trolly.   Static is simply a potential difference.  And yes CPUs are the most  sensitive part, followed by ram.  The thing is, once a Chip has been soldered into a circuit it is 99% protected from ESD.  This is because it's power pins and data pins are no longer short/isolated and no matter how you pick the board up the chances of one finger touching only one point that is connected to a chips pin and not any other (thus causing the potential imbalance) is next to zero.

As I always say, many people claim they have never killed a part with ESD, but many claim DOA components.  How do you know they are actually DOA and weren't killed with ESD when you took them out of the package?  A. you don't. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

no it wouldnt kill him if he grounds himself out....meaning he plugs it into the ground plug on an outlet.

As long as lightning doesnt strike

Case: Corsair 760T White PSU: Corsair AX1200i Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Formula CPU: I7-4790k Cooler: Stock Cooler Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2400mhz GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

As long as lightning doesnt strike

thatd just suck.

askdjfasdf

I don't know about you guys, but I build up enough charge to cause a hefty zap just pushing the shopping trolly around the supermarket.  Vinyl floor, and no grounding point on the trolly.   Static is simply a potential difference.  And yes CPUs are the most  sensitive part, followed by ram.  The thing is, once a Chip has been soldered into a circuit it is 99% protected from ESD.  This is because it's power pins and data pins are no longer short/isolated and no matter how you pick the board up the chances of one finger touching only one point that is connected to a chips pin and not any other (thus causing the potential imbalance) is next to zero.

As I always say, many people claim they have never killed a part with ESD, but many claim DOA components.  How do you know they are actually DOA and weren't killed with ESD when you took them out of the package?  A. you don't. 

wel this raises a question for me whats the best way to protect against ESD? im very very paranoid about it when i get to building my pc.

askdjfasdf

wel this raises a question for me whats the best way to protect against ESD? im very very paranoid about it when i get to building my pc.

lol just touch one hand on the case and then you can use the other hand to install your component. If your very worried just get the strap and clamp it to your case.. a metal part obviously.. Also stay away from carpet and cats

Case: Corsair 760T White PSU: Corsair AX1200i Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Formula CPU: I7-4790k Cooler: Stock Cooler Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2400mhz GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

lol just touch one hand on the case and then you can use the other hand to install your component. If your very worried just get the strap and clamp it to your case.. a metal part obviously..

i do have a strap but even then with a grounding strap can you still cause ESD?

askdjfasdf

Not if you use it correctly as i described. its simply there to balance the electricity from your body and the case. Im not good at describing it but i understand it. Youtube it and youll find a video im sure. Odds are youll be fine. I never use one. i just touch the case before i install components and i never had a problem. i wouldnt worry about it im sure youll be fine. Just do it

Mate don't panic, simply plug your psu in but don't turn it on.  Attach the strap to the case or the metal outer part of the PSU and wear on your wrist.  That's it.  There is no safer way to build a pc.

Building on a kitchen bench and vinyl or wooden floor should be done anyway for both light and when you drop that little screw (which will happen mark my words) you'll find it a lot quicker on a hard floor.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Mate don't panic, simply plug your psu in but don't turn it on.  Attach the strap to the case or the metal outer part of the PSU and wear on your wrist.  That's it.  There is no safer way to build a pc.

Building on a kitchen bench and vinyl or wooden floor should be done anyway for both light and when you drop that little screw (which will happen mark my words) you'll find it a lot quicker on a hard floor.

im gonna be working on a wooden table and i believe the floors are vinyl so i should be good? with the ESD strap that is?

askdjfasdf

im gonna be working on a wooden table and i believe the floors are vinyl so i should be good? with the ESD strap that is?

yes.  And when it comes time to put the CPU in, don't touch the pins. hold it solely by the corners.  In fact, simply avoid touching any electrical bit of a component and you'll be fine.

yes.  And when it comes time to put the CPU in, don't touch the pins. hold it solely by the corners.  In fact, simply avoid touching any electrical bit of a component and you'll be fine.

gotcha thank you very much :). linus should do some tests with this kinda stuff though itd be a bit difficult to do so.

askdjfasdf

gotcha thank you very much :). linus should do some tests with this kinda stuff though itd be a bit difficult to do so.

It's one of those things that can be shown to happen in a lab,  but real world effects have too many variables.  Linus would have to find some way to prove a part was killed by ESD and not simply DOA,  and even if he could do that he'd still have to test 100's of 1000's of units for the results to be statistically relevant.  Better safe than sorry, that's all I say.