DDOS an IP. Can you stop it?

BulkyZaNka

I was getting DDOSed a couple times by a friend "as a joke" and I was wondering what ip they need for it? Is it the ip you get from what's my ip on Google? Is there anyway to change it to stop them?

I was getting DDOSed a couple times by a friend "as a joke" and I was wondering what ip they need for it? Is it the ip you get from what's my ip on Google? Is there anyway to change it to stop them?

You need your public IP, which probably starts with 145 or something.

By the way, DDOS'ing is illegal and punishable with time in prison. Tell your friend that when he tries it again.

And have you tried resetting your router? Sometimes that give you a different IP.

Otherwise you can contact your ISP for a new IP.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

They attack your public one so they one you see when you Google whats my ip, yes.

Your ISP gives it to you so only your ISP can change it. Either you can call them to ask for you to have it renewed, you can wait for a new one to be assigned or you could ask your friend to stop.

If u have a router, make sure firewall is enabled.

If u're holding a gaming server, setup TCP rules, but if it's an UDP flood - u can just null-route this, nothing more.

The larges ddos attack I've experienced was about 20gbits, damn.

If it's a DSL connection it is most likely a dynamic service so if you restart your router you get a new IP and the attack is no longer effective against you.
DOS/DDOS attack are illegal and he could face jail time. :P

But they are also fun :D

You need your public IP, which probably starts with 145 or something.

By the way, DDOS'ing is illegal and punishable with time in prison. Tell your friend that when he tries it again.

And have you tried resetting your router? Sometimes that give you a different IP.

Otherwise you can contact your ISP for a new IP.

Alright thanks. :)

BTW I'm really sorry about the repost. :/ My phone got stuck...

If it's a DSL connection it is most likely a dynamic service so if you restart your router you get a new IP and the attack is no longer effective against you.

DOS/DDOS attack are illegal and he could face jail time. :P

But they are also fun :D

Their not fun when you get banned on CS:GO... Lol

[quote name="paprikman" post="4727965" timestamp="1428942454"

- u can just null-route this, nothing more.

Null route "black holing" would work for him unless his ISP suppoted black holing via updates so I doubt this would work on the consumer level.

I was getting DDOSed a couple times by a friend "as a joke"

So now a federal offence is considered a "joke"?

Your friend is a joke

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

I'm not sure what all the null route thing is so I'm just going to restart and try that.

Thanks for the help. :) I have mean friends. lol

Well you can't do anything from home, you need ISP help

Using Tapatalk

Tell him to ddos 127.0.0.1

CPU I7 - 4720HQ RAM 2 x 8GB • GPU Nvidia GTX 850M Storage 250GB 850 EVO - 1TB Seagate Hybrid
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-I (MX brown) & Pok3r (MX clear) • Mouse Logitech G502 • Sound Audio-Technica ATH-M50X • OS Windows 10 Pro - Linux Arch 
Storage Asustor AS7004T

Well you can't do anything from home, you need ISP help

I don't want to get them involved. I'm pretty sure my "friend" is not going to keep doing it. I don't think he knows how to find my ip once I reset it.

Tell him to ddos 127.0.0.1

Out of curiosity, what would that do? O.o

Out of curiosity, what would that do? O.o

ddos himself, it's the IP of localhost. 192.168.0.1 might also work 90% of the time if he's on a normal home network (standard gateway IP) 

CPU I7 - 4720HQ RAM 2 x 8GB • GPU Nvidia GTX 850M Storage 250GB 850 EVO - 1TB Seagate Hybrid
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-I (MX brown) & Pok3r (MX clear) • Mouse Logitech G502 • Sound Audio-Technica ATH-M50X • OS Windows 10 Pro - Linux Arch 
Storage Asustor AS7004T

ddos himself, it's the IP of localhost.

Lol alright. :) Hahaha

Lol alright. :) Hahaha

Try to write ddos logs, send them to your ISP, or even call the ISP and tell, that this moment someone is attacking u, they'll have to trace him and punish. I don't think that it's even a 1gbit ddos.

The easiest way to stop it is to get another network to DoS them... And that's illegal... So not a good idea

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

I was getting [something unpleasant] [# of times] by a friend "as a joke" ... Is there anyway to [discourage/make them] stop ...

This is a fairly generic statement expressing displeasure/concern/aggravation/grievance (etcetera) over inconsiderate/malicious actions against oneself by a third party. It generally indicates (by application of common sense) that the said third party is not really a friend but is instead in fact a piece of human trash and/or excrement that should be dealt with accordingly. Do you not think so.

One should seek to address the route cause of the issue and not the symptom/s i.e. rising above retaliation.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.