Need feedback on wooden case design

Go to solution Solved by Albert1998,

Finally had some time to draw the cpu cooler. The project will start next weekend by picking up all the wood. The exterior will stay as it is right now. If I end up not liking it anymore or just want something else, I can just make a new exterior thanks to the double frame design :). The internals are not 100% definite yet. 

What no matter what happens this will be able to go in this build:

- Intel i5-4690k (from prev. build)

- Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z97 (from prev. build)

- Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming 3,5GB (from prev. build)

- Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 2133ghz zilver (from prev. build)

- Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (from prev. build)

- Silverstone SX-500LG

What would be realy awesome to have in this build and what I will try to arrange:

- Same CPU

- Another MB because of the red accents on the Sniper

- Gigabyte GTX980ti G1 Gaming 6GB, the silver accents on the GPU fit this build so perfectly, its almost as if the GPU was designed for this build

- Corsair Dominator Platinums (original memory is also ok because of the silver strips, but you know > platinums :) )

- Corsair Neutron XT 250GB x2

- Same PSU

Cooling will be done with Be Quiet! products:

- Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP CPU cooler, fits like a glove in this build

- 7x Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 80mm

- All connected to an Aquaero 5 LT!

Lighting:

- 2x 30cm RGB LED strip on the inside (left and right side of the left side panel)

- 110 cm RGB LED strip on the outside of the inner frame (for the cool lighting effects on the outside)

- All connected to an Aqua Computer Farbwerk controller (So I for example can let the LEDS react to my CPU temperature, pretty sick!)

There will be a buildlog on the LTT forums :) 

gallery_78571_2837_33875.jpggallery_78571_2837_47919.jpggallery_78571_2837_129320.jpggallery_78571_2837_441142.jpg

Hi there, i am new to the forum. I am planning a new wooden case build for next summer, and i am currently in the proces of designing the case. I have been drawing for a couple of weeks now and i am now at a point at which I would realy like to hear some feedback from other people. The idea was to build a pc with a small footprint (12 cm in this case) and with an atx mobo and full length GPu's. All the exterior panels are removable and can be exchanged for other panels when I want another look. Under the top, front and bottom panels there will be RGB lighting. The inside wil also have RGB lighting. Cooling is done by 7 80mm fans pulling air out of the case. This wil cause negative air pressure so air will be pulled in through the filtered side panel. Any questions? Post a message. Please do not comment on my English, it is not my native language. Here are some screenshots: (see other pages of this thread for updates on the design)

gallery_78571_2837_206659.jpggallery_78571_2837_33875.jpg

gallery_78571_2837_47919.jpggallery_78571_2837_87266.jpggallery_78571_2837_63539.jpggallery_78571_2837_154074.jpggallery_78571_2837_222630.jpggallery_78571_2837_229033.jpggallery_78571_2837_41281.jpggallery_78571_2837_45923.jpg

gallery_78571_2837_83414.jpggallery_78571_2837_148182.jpggallery_78571_2837_214504.jpggallery_78571_2837_93275.jpggallery_78571_2837_154467.jpg

Crazy Custom Wooden Case Project: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/LN8KHx

You should make it so its bended at the front, sheesh that would look awesome

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

I do not realy understand what you mean by "bended". Dou you mean that is should not have straight lines, or do you mean that the pannel it self needs more angles?

I do not realy understand what you mean by "bended". Dou you mean that is should not have straight lines, or do you mean that the pannel it self needs more angles?

Like the Silverstone TJ078B-W but with wood :P

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Like the Silverstone TJ078B-W but with wood :P

I don't think I can make that. I also prefer the more square shape. I can always try to make a frontpanel that bends later on, sinds i can change the exterior whenever i want with this case design :).

I see probably hard to bend, but make sure to create a proper thread when you start building your case

If you have a laser cutter you can bend wood, not sure about the specifics but my dad did it once.

Please quote if you want a person to reply, they won't get a notification otherwise.

PC Specs

(CPU: Intel 4790k) (GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 WF3OC) (Mobo: Asus MAXIMUS VII RANGER) (RAM: Red Corsair Vengeance Pro 2*8GB 1600MHz) (HDD: WD Green 2TB) (SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 120GB) (CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X) (PSU: Corsair RM750) (Case & Fans: Corsair Obsidian 450D) (Monitor: Asus VX239H)

If you have a laser cutter you can bend wood, not sure about the specifics but my dad did it once.

I do not have a laser cutter, and i have no idea of how to bend wood with a laser cutter. There are some techniques with heating up wood while cooling the other side of the wood, but i would need to do some research for that.

Hi there, i am new to the forum. I am planning a new wooden case build for next summer, and i am currently in the proces of designing the case. I have been drawing for a couple of weeks now and i am now at a point at which I would realy like to hear some feedback from other people. The idea was to build a pc with a small footprint (12 cm in this case) and with an atx mobo and full length GPu's. All the exterior panels are removable and can be exchanged for other panels when I want another look. Under the top, front and bottom panels there will be RGB lighting. The inside wil also have RGB lighting. Cooling is done by 7 80mm fans pulling air out of the case. This wil cause negative air pressure so air will be pulled in through the filtered side panel. Any questions? Post a message. Please do not comment on my English, it is not my native language. Here are some screenshots:

This looks great. What program did you use to make these designs? I would not mind doing a few designs of my own.

As for some feedback, you understand that mounting your power supply in the front will require a power extension cable to run from the front of the case, to the back of the case. The cable looks like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200422

Aside from that issue, it reminds me a lot of the Azza Z case, except taller with much more room for cooling. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

This looks great. What program did you use to make these designs? I would not mind doing a few designs of my own.

As for some feedback, you understand that mounting your power supply in the front will require a power extension cable to run from the front of the case, to the back of the case. The cable looks like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200422

Aside from that issue, it reminds me a lot of the Azza Z case, except taller with much more room for cooling. 

I used sketchup for the drawings, it is a free program. For the power cable, i already thought of this 'problem'. As you can see on the last picture there is a 'channel' for the powercable to go through. And I will be usong one with a 90 degree plug so it takes up less space. Thanks for your feedback. 

I used sketchup for the drawings, it is a free program. For the power cable, i already thought of this 'problem'. As you can see on the last picture there is a 'channel' for the powercable to go through. And I will be usong one with a 90 degree plug so it takes up less space. Thanks for your feedback. 

I see. It looks like it will work perfectly, and I hope to see this become a real case. It looks like it will leave a small enough footprint to rival my ITX case, while still maintaining the benefits of an ATX board (4x DIMM slots). If you ever do make this case, would you be willing to post it in the Build Logs section of this forum? I would be interested in seeing what everything looks like when it is finished.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

I started drawing designs with a single, bended piece of aluminium around the case. I promise it wil look awesome. Drawings should be done for the weekend :)

I started drawing designs with a single, bended piece of aluminium around the case. I promise it wil look awesome. Drawings should be done for the weekend :)

Wow never expected that you would really do it, but I really can imagine how good it would look

Wow never expected that you would really do it, but I really can imagine how good it would look

I just started with the alu design, I will finish it tomorrow. How does it look?

gallery_78571_2837_37105.png

Combine that with some dark wood and you have an awesome case, would use a smaller but complete glass pannel though

Combine that with some dark wood and you have an awesome case, would use a smaller but complete glass pannel though

I will make multiple side panels. When building the case the inner part, with all the components and lighting, will always be the same, but i will make multiple exteriors so i can change the look of my pc without much hassle. The side panel i currently have drawn, won't be the only one. There will always have to be ventilation on that side panel though. I have extreme negative air pressure in the case, for the best cooling. But this air has to get sucked in somewhere, and the only place for a vent is on that side panel.

I don't think that negative air pressure will give you that much of an advantage but I look forward

I don't think that negative air pressure will give you that much of an advantage but I look forward

And if it doesn't, ill just turn the fans around and make some extra dust filters  ;)

Here is one of the new exterior designs. I will be playing around with the cooling. In this design there is no vent on the side, so i ill have to turn around the bottom 4 fans. I still have to work on the interior though. Feedback is welcome! :)

gallery_78571_2837_32381.png

gallery_78571_2837_23243.png

gallery_78571_2837_129895.png

gallery_78571_2837_25481.png

Make a rectangled power button :)

This window looks way better, but I would glue it or even use velcro for your upgradability

Make a rectangled power button :)

This window looks way better, but I would glue it or even use velcro for your upgradability

Upgradebility for the window? And i will try to make a rectangled power button, even if it is just to see what it looks like :)

Was just thinking that velcro for the window would be kinda interesting, because you could quickly change tempered glass with something different.

Rectangle button because it looks sleeker