why 120hz ips monitors look weird ?

saudivip
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

IPS technology is not physically fast enough to switch 120 times a second.  That is why they look weird and may drop frames at 120Hz.  Even if you instruct the clock signal to signal a color switch 120 times a second it is not possible for the panel to keep up with that.  So it may begin the next switch before the last switch has finished, producing unwanted blurs, or the monitor may drop frames.

PLS is Samsung's brand variant of IPS technology (IPS is a patented LG technology).  PLS and IPS are not really different things.

so i heard that the 120hz ips (korean ones that overclock to 120 hz) skip the frames is that right and how does it happen ?

My Qnix does not skip frames. I have tested it with refresh rate multi tool.. But my old monoprice use to skip frames when OCed over 65hz.i could see it just by dragging around windows..But my Qnix is PLS so I can t speak for the Korean IPS monitors skipping frames.

is it going to make different if it was ips ? 

is it going to make different if it was ips ? 

It shouldn't..But i can only speak from my experience with my monitor..I don't know if the Korean IPS panel monitors skip frames..

IPS technology is not physically fast enough to switch 120 times a second.  That is why they look weird and may drop frames at 120Hz.  Even if you instruct the clock signal to signal a color switch 120 times a second it is not possible for the panel to keep up with that.  So it may begin the next switch before the last switch has finished, producing unwanted blurs, or the monitor may drop frames.

PLS is Samsung's brand variant of IPS technology (IPS is a patented LG technology).  PLS and IPS are not really different things.

It most likely due to the fact that we dont really have any real display cable solution for such bandwidth like 2560x1600 at 120hz  and it may look weird because it could ghost since its IPS, its slower then TN

| Gaming/Folding Rig: | 4770k @ 4.4GHZ w/ Thermaltake Extreme 3.0 | Asus Maximus VI Hero | 2x DirectCUII GTX 780 Ti @ 1208mhz | Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB | Seasonic Platinum 1000w | Samsung 840 256gb | 1TB WD Blue | Corsair C70 | 3x ASUS MX239H Monitors |

It most likely due to the fact that we dont really have any real display cable solution for such bandwidth like 2560x1600 at 120hz  and it may look weird because it could ghost since its IPS, its slower then TN

DisplayPort 1.2 is capable of that.  Of course, cheap Korean monitors don't support that.

I've never had any frame skipping or slow down on mine. Sounds like people need to get better hardware if they are having those kinds of issues.

I've never had any frame skipping or slow down on mine. Sounds like people need to get better hardware if they are having those kinds of issues.

I don't have issues like that on mine either..

And dual link DVI can put out 1440p at 120hz if you patch your GPU drivers..

I don't have issues like that on mine either..

And dual link DVI can put out 1440p at 120hz if you patch your GPU drivers..

You only need the pixel patch if you have more then one GPU. I didn't have to patch mine when I had a single card but having a second one it got messed up. The screen would freeze every 3 seconds till I patched it.

You only need the pixel patch if you have more then one GPU. I didn't have to patch mine when I had a single card but having a second one it got messed up. The screen would freeze every 3 seconds till I patched it.

You need to patch even with 1 card if you are over a 320mhz pixel clock with a AMD card..I don't know the exact speeds when you need to patch for nvidia though..And if your two cards were AMD then you need two crossfire bridges or games will crash..If you were not patched on a AMD card then you were not even at 120hz at 1440p....Both quotes from ToastyXs website regarding pixel clocks..

AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher modifies the AMD/ATI video driver to remove the 330 MHz pixel clock limit for dual-link DVI.

http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-AMD-ATI-Pixel-Clock-Patcher

And here is the Nvidia one..

NVIDIA Pixel Clock Patcher modifies the NVIDIA video driver to remove the 330 MHz pixel clock limit for dual-link DVI and the 400 MHz limit for SLI and 500-series GPUs.

http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-NVIDIA-Pixel-Clock-Patcher

DisplayPort 1.2 is capable of that.  Of course, cheap Korean monitors don't support that.

This is true, but not a ton of monitors have it, and in this case, when its actually a necessity to have

| Gaming/Folding Rig: | 4770k @ 4.4GHZ w/ Thermaltake Extreme 3.0 | Asus Maximus VI Hero | 2x DirectCUII GTX 780 Ti @ 1208mhz | Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB | Seasonic Platinum 1000w | Samsung 840 256gb | 1TB WD Blue | Corsair C70 | 3x ASUS MX239H Monitors |

You need to patch even with 1 card if you are over a 320mhz pixel clock with a AMD card..I don't know the exact speeds when you need to patch for nvidia though..And if your two cards were AMD then you need two crossfire bridges or games will crash..If you were not patched on a AMD card then you were not even at 120hz at 1440p....Both quotes from ToastyXs website regarding pixel clocks..

AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher modifies the AMD/ATI video driver to remove the 330 MHz pixel clock limit for dual-link DVI.

http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-AMD-ATI-Pixel-Clock-Patcher

And here is the Nvidia one..

NVIDIA Pixel Clock Patcher modifies the NVIDIA video driver to remove the 330 MHz pixel clock limit for dual-link DVI and the 400 MHz limit for SLI and 500-series GPUs.

http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-NVIDIA-Pixel-Clock-Patcher

I guess I should've specified I was using a EVGA 670 FTW