Best Gaming Laptop for 1000$ CAN?

Luckylock

This isn't for me actually, it's for a friend. Desktop would be a thousand times better, but it really isn't an option for him. I don't know anything about laptops, but he still insists that I help him somehow...

You guys got anything worth buying for 1000$ CAN? He doesn't play very demanding games as far as I know.

Hardware: 4790k @ 4.6 GHz w/ H100i - MSI GTX 970 - Define R5 - MSI Z97 PC Mate - 840 EVO - G.Skill 2x4 GB

Peripherals: G402 - ATH-AD700x - Asus VG248QE 144 hz

I think the MSi GP60 is around that price.

The engine roars but then it gives, but never dies

We don't live we just survive

On the scraps that you throw awaaaaaay

I think it has to be the Lenovo Y40 / 50 Series.  I live in Canada, and always wanted one of those baller Asus laptops, or the MSI ones, but those are all around $1500.  The Y50 / 40 does sacrifice build quality, but it has great aesthetics (personally), the specs are killer for the price, and the keyboard is awesome.

Also the battery life is awful, I use one every day for university, and I always have a charger.

Best deal does seem to be one of the Lenovo Y50s right now..

Thanks a lot, I'll keep looking. Laptops are awfully expensive...

Hardware: 4790k @ 4.6 GHz w/ H100i - MSI GTX 970 - Define R5 - MSI Z97 PC Mate - 840 EVO - G.Skill 2x4 GB

http://www.eurocom.com/ec/configure(1,249,0)ec

This is at the limit.

Take the 1080p IPS screen (subtracts money)

Take the regular 500GB HDD (not SSHD) (subtracts money)

Ask them about a student discount of 10%.

If you're lucky, it'll end up basically exactly at the $1000 mark. I REALLY wish I could let you get the 1TB HDD and the 7260ac wifi card... but that'd be an extra $100 or so. But the machine is pretty good.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

I think it has to be the Lenovo Y40 / 50 Series.  I live in Canada, and always wanted one of those baller Asus laptops, or the MSI ones, but those are all around $1500.  The Y50 / 40 does sacrifice build quality, but it has great aesthetics (personally), the specs are killer for the price, and the keyboard is awesome.

Also the battery life is awful, I use one every day for university, and I always have a charger.

i have a lenovo y50 and the build quality is fine for me, it is strong and not flimsy and it is made well, and the back of the screen and the bottom are both metal

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

http://www.eurocom.com/ec/configure(1,249,0)ec

This is at the limit.

Take the 1080p IPS screen (subtracts money)

Take the regular 500GB HDD (not SSHD) (subtracts money)

Ask them about a student discount of 10%.

If you're lucky, it'll end up basically exactly at the $1000 mark. I REALLY wish I could let you get the 1TB HDD and the 7260ac wifi card... but that'd be an extra $100 or so. But the machine is pretty good.

it doesnt come with an OS you have to pay more for that

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

i have a lenovo y50 and the build quality is fine for me, it is strong and not flimsy and it is made well, and the back of the screen and the bottom are both metal

It's a machine that throttles without hitting thermal or power limits on the CPU.

It has relatively poor cooling.

The screen is 45% NTSC gamut crap

There's tons of reasons why it's not a good machine. I didn't even mention build quality. And "metal" means nothing. Solid, thick plastic can be better than thin metal easily.

The machine is cheap as hell and there's a reason for it. It is not a very good machine. It's just very cheap and has basic power for 

it doesnt come with an OS you have to pay more for that

It's still the best machine he'll find for that price point.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

I recommend the Y series as well, but you should also add that the display is terrible.

It's a machine that throttles without hitting thermal or power limits on the CPU.

There's tons of reasons why it's not a good machine. I didn't even mention build quality. And "metal" means nothing. Solid, thick plastic can be better than thin metal easily.

The machine is cheap as hell and there's a reason for it. It is not a very good machine. It's just very cheap and has basic power for 

It's still the best machine he'll find for that price point.

The lenovo has a 4k screen option which is a beautiful screen

All laptops witha powerful gpu throttle the gpu a little when on battery and mine doesnt do what linus's did

My 860m stays at 60 degrees celsius whenever on full load

The lenovo has a 4k screen option which is a beautiful screen

All laptops witha powerful gpu throttle the gpu a little when on battery and mine doesnt do what linus's did

My 860m stays at 60 degrees celsius whenever on full load

4K on a 860M? That's a piece of crap. Also, that 4K screen is 48Hz, unlike the other 60Hz screens on other newer laptops. It's crap.

Who said. Anything. ANYTHING. About battery? I never said anything about battery, and I never said anything about the GPU.

Because it's maxwell, and maxwell chips run unnaturally cool, so much so that they can shove stronger chips in smaller chassis without overheating... which is giving people a false idea that the best GPUs can work in 1" thick notebooks without problem all the time. And you haven't come CLOSE to putting that thing under full load. Just because you see 99% GPU utilization doesn't mean you've even halfway arrived at full load, or full TDP. And don't defend that machine's bad cooling because you have an ice-cold GPU in it.

4K on a 860M? That's a piece of crap. Also, that 4K screen is 48Hz, unlike the other 60Hz screens on other newer laptops. It's crap.

Who said. Anything. ANYTHING. About battery? I never said anything about battery, and I never said anything about the GPU.

Because it's maxwell, and maxwell chips run unnaturally cool, so much so that they can shove stronger chips in smaller chassis without overheating... which is giving people a false idea that the best GPUs can work in 1" thick notebooks without problem all the time. And you haven't come CLOSE to putting that thing under full load. Just because you see 99% GPU utilization doesn't mean you've even halfway arrived at full load, or full TDP. And don't defend that machine's bad cooling because you have an ice-cold GPU in it.

My y50 doesnt come close to thottling the cpu, the metal isnt that thin(I own one i would know), and there is very little screen flex, which is really nice.

Also, Battlefield 4 and Assassins Creed 4 are very demanding games that I play, so i dont know where the hell you get "Not actually using 99%" crap from

And i said before Maxwell chip are really cool and i doubt pascal will be hotter because it is going to 20 nm

One last thing You dont own one!!!!!

My y50 doesnt come close to thottling the cpu, the metal isnt that thin(I own one i would know), and there is very little screen flex, which is really nice.

Also, Battlefield 4 and Assassins Creed 4 are very demanding games that I play, so i dont know where the hell you get "Not actually using 99%" crap from

And i said before Maxwell chip are really cool and i doubt pascal will be hotter because it is going to 20 nm

Okay. Sit there, enjoy your notebook and keep believing your incorrect ideas. I'm done giving you information.

Okay. Sit there, enjoy your notebook and keep believing your incorrect ideas. I'm done giving you information.

Okay enjoy thinking your more correct, and know more about a product that you don't own than someone who does. 

Btw, just letting you know in the future, you shouldnt talk about a product you dont know about

Sorry dude, @D2ultima is correct (for the most part at least). Games don't stress the CPU for one thing, so you haven't had a full load on the CPU and GPU at the same time which would make both run much hotter. You don't really do anything that stresses the CPU, so, of course, you've never had the CPU throttle. I'm not sure that he's correct in saying that games don't truly max out the GPU and make it work really hard so idk about that.

On the note about Pascal, putting more transistors into the same size chip will create a hotter chip. Simple physics my friend. However, Nvidia may introduce architectural improvements that counteract that extra heat, so it depends upon how good those architectural improvements are.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

I forgot about this thread. There's no need to argue anymore guys, my friend just went to best buy and bought some 950$ CAN asus laptop.

model is TP550LD-BH71T-CB for those who are wondering...

not the best deal and I told him spending a couple hundred more would have given him much better value but hey, what can you do.

not the best deal and I told him spending a couple hundred more would have given him much better value but hey, what can you do.

It's a real problem with people who are buying stuff I've noticed. Way too many people want a $1500 laptop for $900 and get bummy if they can't find it. At least he didn't default to a Y50.

model is TP550LD-BH71T-CB for those who are wondering...

820m.. good luck to him getting any new AAA games working

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Sorry dude, @D2ultima is correct (for the most part at least). Games don't stress the CPU for one thing, so you haven't had a full load on the CPU and GPU at the same time which would make both run much hotter. You don't really do anything that stresses the CPU, so, of course, you've never had the CPU throttle. I'm not sure that he's correct in saying that games don't truly max out the GPU and make it work really hard so idk about that.

On the note about Pascal, putting more transistors into the same size chip will create a hotter chip. Simple physics my friend. However, Nvidia may introduce architectural improvements that counteract that extra heat, so it depends upon how good those architectural improvements are.

who said all i do is just gaming you dont even know me