X99 Sabertooth

So this special socket made for over clocking is it just extra pins ?

Yes, but only makes a difference on extremely high voltages.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

yeah it allows for higher overclocks with less vdroop

but it wont really make a difference unless youre doing phase change or LN2

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

as @Najuno explain to me

the OC Socket don't make much difference

in fact it made his 5960X run at a higher voltage

so he swapped to the Asrock X99 and got better results at lower voltages

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

as @Najuno explain to me

the OC Socket don't make much difference

That´s actually true!

I needed for my 4.7GHz with the 5960X on the X99 Deluxe with that so called 'OC socket' 1.52V. To achieve the same OC with the AS Rock X99 OC Formula all it takes me is 1.391V which is a huge difference. True I could achieve the same OC on the Asus X99 Deluxe but going over 1.5V isn´t even with my performance custom water cooling the best plan.

And besides that Shih, AS Rock´s OCer, could achieve an higher OC with this particular mainboard than any of the Asus boards could do. The only thing comparable for OCing and benchmarking IMHO is Gigabyte´s SoC Champion.

That OCing socket from Asus is for me nothing but a PR gag. It hasn´t been proven anywhere that the 2084 pins are better for OCing than the 2011-3.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Yes, but only makes a difference on extremely high voltages.

The OC socket is specifically for OCing the cache to a higher clock (RAM as a partial consequence), it has nothing to do with voltage limits of a non-modified socket, rather more tuned voltage control.

http://us.hardware.info/news/41513/benefit-of-oc-socket-on-asus-x99-motherboards-proven

http://hexus.net/tech/tech-explained/mainboard/78153-asus-oc-socket-provides-genuine-performance-advantage/

Run at a higher voltage (auto voltage settings), or required a higher voltage for stability? Big difference...and doesn't make a lot of sense in the context of core voltage, definitely cache voltage though.

Yes, just extra pins. The linked article above shows what happens when a crazy German overclocker pulls a DIY OC Socket :lol: Also, some benchmark comparisons in the second link. Real world there is practically no difference between a board w/out an OC socket and one with, unless you are planning on spending a large amount of time OCing and dialing in a ridiculous clock.

If you're in the market for an X99 board I would guess that within 12 months every manufacturer will be on-board the "OC Socket" train, and subsequent board revisions will all carry OC Sockets and USB 3.1 as standard, it just makes sense for the platform as a whole.

*EDIT* after seeing your post I checked Newegg to see if they had finally gotten the Sabertooth's in...which they have...and I will have mine tomorrow or Saturday, installed by Sunday. I'll probably be doing a review on it since I have another very early X99 release board to compare with.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

That´s actually true!

I needed for my 4.7GHz with the 5960X on the X99 Deluxe with that so called 'OC socket' 1.52V. To achieve the same OC with the AS Rock X99 OC Formula all it takes me is 1.391V which is a huge difference. True I could achieve the same OC on the Asus X99 Deluxe but going over 1.5V isn´t even with my performance custom water cooling the best plan.

And besides that Shih, AS Rock´s OCer, could achieve an higher OC with this particular mainboard than any of the Asus boards could do. The only thing comparable for OCing and benchmarking IMHO is Gigabyte´s SoC Champion.

That OCing socket from Asus is for me nothing but a PR gag. It hasn´t been proven anywhere that the 2084 pins are better for OCing than the 2011-3.

:o makes me want to ditch my Deluxe. I've combed through the many horror stories about the Deluxe since I've had mine, but haven't had any problems with it. ASUS seems to have dropped the ball with their early releases. When the Sabertooth comes out I'll have something to compare it to, although the ASRock WS-E/10G is mighty tempting...wish they had that out at release.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Im in the market but im only going over clock a little im mainly looki g for a black and silver board that will perform when needed. It has an fing back plate too and i like the look of it but dont think looks alone merit spendi g that much money

• 9 months later...

I love my X99 sabertooth board. Install went smooth, and temps are great for my 5930k..

Plus the X99 Sabertooth has 11 fan headers, so all of my case fans are connected to the motherboard. I use AiSuite to control the 4x-120mm case fans, and 2x-120mm fans on the H100i depending on CPU temp. Things get really quite while surfing, but when benchmarking, or gaming you can hear the fans speed up. Really nice IMO.