Steam Summer Sale 2013

With the Summer sale almost certainly around the corner (heavy rumours for tomorrow) I thought i'd do a small PSA-ish thing on the sale

Step 1: Make sure you're ready.

Step 2: Set yourself a budget, usually a small amount ($20-25 usually) in your wallet should suffice.

Step 3: Buying games. Here's a handy flowchart : 

fuUzL0d.png

Follow this to the letter.

DO NOT BUY GAMES THAT ARENT ON THESE DEALS UNTIL THE LAST DAY.

Step 4: Make your money last. Get only the games that you think you'll play.

Step 5: Buy all of your games as gifts. That way you can either gift them, or let them sit in your inv until you want to play them, having them in your inv gives you the ability to trade for bigger and better games.

Step 6: Vote on the community choice as much as you can!  Even if you own all of the games, many don't, and you know which is your favourite. Vote for that one.

Step 7: Enjoy! Sit back, relax, and watch the prices drop

I know many will be veterans of sales, but it's nice to remind ourselves! Feel free to post the games you got too! 

And if you're looking to trade a game for a game please make sure to follow this thread and fill in the template below in your reply:

Steam ID:

Game(s) willing to trade:

Game(s) wanting to trade for:

Still available: [Y/N]

Change the [Y/N] once a trade has been completed, or you've decided to keep it. No point in spamming each other for games that we don't have.

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

Do all the deals appear again on the last day?

No, the idea is that you wait until the last day for a game that you want to appear on sale, if it doesn't all the way up to the last day, then it's not going on the larger sales, so you buy it then

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

No, the idea is that you wait until the last day for a game that you want to appear on sale, if it doesn't all the way up to the last day, then it's not going on the larger sales, so you buy it then

Pretty much. I did that with Mass Effect 1/2 one sale and it refused to appear as a Daily, Flash or Community choice even on the last day. The following sale, it did.

Occasionally, there'll be an "encore" where all the popular titles will be on sale again, usually after being a Daily, Flash or CC sale at least once each.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Pretty much. I did that with Mass Effect 1/2 one sale and it refused to appear as a Daily, Flash or Community choice even on the last day. The following sale, it did.

Occasionally, there'll be an "encore" where all the popular titles will be on sale again, usually after being a Daily, Flash or CC sale at least once each.

This, essentially, be patient.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Don't forget the chance to get another summer sale badge on your profile!

Lol.  My neighbors think I've found Jesus.

Laws only govern the honest.

i thought that was the only reason for the sales anyway? :P

AMD 8350 // 8 GB Corsair Ram // PNY 780 Ti // Asus 1080p Monitor // Antec 120mm AIO // CM Quickfire TK w/ Custom Caps  // RAT 5 mouse // Audio Technica m50x // Behringer 4-line + Line6 8-line Audio Interfaces

i thought that was the only reason for the sales anyway? :P

Damn straight, nothing like gaining e-peen points by having yet another summer sale badge on your profile.

vwMin.gif

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAY  HYPPPPEEEEEEEE My wallet is so not ready lol. This might be one of the most overused gifs on the interwebs.

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAY  HYPPPPEEEEEEEE My wallet is so not ready lol. This might be one of the most overused gifs on the interwebs.

src_1350556690114.gif

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

My wallet's not ready but my debit card is. *debit card looks at me fearfully* shhhh just accept the inevitable it will all be over before you know it.

So how do the deals work? I mean when do they come out, and when should you buy the games on sale?

What is the summer sale badge and why would you want it? (Obviously I am a steam noob xD)

CPU: RYZEN 5 2600   Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC   Memory: CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 16GB 3200MHZ   Storage: TEAM GROUP MP33 1TB

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW   Case: COOLER MASTER NR200P   PSU: CORSAIR SF600   Mouse: G PRO WIRELESS   Keyboard: ANNE PRO 2

I hope they team up with gamestop this year so I can trade in some of these console games I have lying around (since no one wanted to buy them from me for $5 each lol) and get some steam credit to put towards the sale.

Yay. i am not spending a single cent of my own money on this.

$20 from one friend

$10 from another and if it isnt tomorrow another $20 from him.

I could have $50 possibly or $30 at the least :D

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

So how do the deals work? I mean when do they come out, and when should you buy the games on sale?

What is the summer sale badge and why would you want it? (Obviously I am a steam noob xD)

Usually the sales come out in 8hr intervals, lasting that time, sometimes longer.

The community choice is a voted game for sale, 3 are often put on for voting and they go on sale for a little bit

The flash deals are the fastest, usually lasting 2-5hrs

The badges are like e-peen points, the more you vote/buy/contribute determines the level of badge you get

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

My budget is £50. :)

Probably won't spend it all. Still have games to play from previous sales. I just like collecting games.

The best tip is to ALWAYS buy games as gifts. It goes into your inventory and if you ever want to play it then you can redeem it yourself, otherwise you can trade it in the future.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

My budget is £50. :)

Probably won't spend it all. Still have games to play from previous sales. I just like collecting games.

The best tip is to ALWAYS buy games as gifts. It goes into your inventory and if you ever want to play it then you can redeem it yourself, otherwise you can trade it in the future.

This. The only reason i didn't say always is because i sometimes will get games on sale to play that night and just get them directly for myself

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

This. The only reason i didn't say always is because i sometimes will get games on sale to play that night and just get them directly for myself

You can always redeem it that night right before you're about to play. But as people buy so many games during the sale they never have time to play them. :)

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Usually the sales come out in 8hr intervals, lasting that time, sometimes longer.

The community choice is a voted game for sale, 3 are often put on for voting and they go on sale for a little bit

The flash deals are the fastest, usually lasting 2-5hrs

The badges are like e-peen points, the more you vote/buy/contribute determines the level of badge you get

Slightly off on numbers.

Daily sales are revealed every day and are up for 48 hours. New dailies are revealed very 24 hours, and usually, 2 sets of daily sales are up at the same time. 6 games per set, 12 games at once.

Flash sales are about every 7-8 hours, one set of flash sales at any time. 3 games at once.

Community choice voting lasts for maybe 5-8 hours, and the actual sale on the voted game lasts about as long, if not longer.

Then there are publisher packs ranging from $50-75. Franchise packs have a higher range of prices, and occasionally get slashed beyond the initial 25-50%.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Slightly off on numbers.

Daily sales are revealed every day and are up for 48 hours. New dailies are revealed very 24 hours, and usually, 2 sets of daily sales are up at the same time. 6 games per set, 12 games at once.

Flash sales are about every 7-8 hours, one set of flash sales at any time. 3 games at once.

Community choice voting lasts for maybe 5-8 hours, and the actual sale on the voted game lasts about as long, if not longer.

Then there are publisher packs ranging from $50-75. Franchise packs have a higher range of prices, and occasionally get slashed beyond the initial 25-50%.

Yeah

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I don't have a budget, because there's no game I want to buy now and that I don't already have. The ones in my wishlist won't be out during the sale.

Maybe an incredible sale might make me buy Dark Souls (I've played it on my X360 and would like to play it again with higher resolutions and higher framerates).

Wait so If you buy a game as a gift you can actually keep it if yourself if you want? Or trade it? I don't know how the inventory works. :/ elp pls

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

Wait so If you buy a game as a gift you can actually keep it if yourself if you want? Or trade it? I don't know how the inventory works. :/ elp pls

Yeah as long as you don't play it, it can sit there for as long as you want, then you can gift trade or sell if you change your mind.

Probably not a bad idea to stock up on games you know that will shoot back up in value and you could use them as trading fodder for future releases. Never done this though.