Upgrading to Windows 8.1 - A few questions.

wyattzx
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

Hey guys, so I have a few questions for you in regards to upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 I mean a fresh install, and not an "upgrade" as Windows can do.

• Would it be better to buy a "full" copy or an OEM copy? I plan to upgrade my motherboard and CPU soon, and I might do that after I upgrade Windows.
  • Does the Adobe Creative Suite work properly with Windows 8.1? 
  • Is Windows 8.1 much better than Windows 8? Or is it marginally better?
  • Is the Microsoft Live (e-mail, etc) stuff optional? Or do I have to have one of their accounts to use.. most of the default apps?
  • Will my SSD perform better on Windows 8.1 over 7? (Boot times, mainly.)
  • Are there any games that work on Windows 7 that don't work on Windows 8.1? (I don't mean obscure titles from years gone. Mainly just newer titles.)
  • Where is the cheapest place to get legitimate copies of Windows 8.1? 
  • Would it be worth it to go from a pirated version of Windows 8 to a legitimate version of Windows 8.1? Or should I get a legitimate copy of Windows 7 and get Windows 10 later?
  • What are the biggest issues with Windows 8.1?
Thanks guys! I hope you can answer any or all of these at earliest convenience!

- If you plan to upgrade your motherboard soon, get the retail copy of Windows. If you are student you have a special pricing at Microsoft online store (70$ - Windows 8.1 Pro full). If your school or departmenet is registered to MSDNAA or Dreamspark Premium, then Windows 8.1 is free

- Don't know, but should

- I don't understand your question, but a Microsoft account is needed to use Windows 8.x and Windows 10 if you want to use the App Store, music service (if you are subscribe to it), rent/buy movies from the video app, and so on.

- Windows 8 boot time from shutdown will be faster. Restart should be similar. Windows 8 does however fully support UEFI. If your system is UEFI supported, and you set it up to be UEFI ready (ie: you don't disable UEFI mode in the BIOS), then, with an SSD, your computer should be able to boot from power button "click" sound to your desktop fully loaded, from shutdown: down to 6se. Windows 7 doesn't really support UEFI.

- Everything that works in Windows 7 should work perfectly fine under Windows 8.x

- Always go legit. ALWAYS. Especially when it comes to OS. The one thing you don't want to pirate are OSs. They turn your box of circuitry which is essentially nothing more than a door stop, to system you are enjoying now. You don't want an OS that was potentially modified implementing security holes or stability issues, not to mention built-in malware and viruses that can't be detected by any security software as they are embedded.

- There is a learning curve. On average it takes a month to get used to the new Start Screen and layout.

Hey guys, so I have a few questions for you in regards to upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 I mean a fresh install, and not an "upgrade" as Windows can do.

• Would it be better to buy a "full" copy or an OEM copy? I plan to upgrade my motherboard and CPU soon, and I might do that after I upgrade Windows.
  • Is the Microsoft Live (e-mail, etc) stuff optional? Or do I have to have one of their accounts to use.. most of the default apps?
  • Are there any games that work on Windows 7 that don't work on Windows 8.1? (I don't mean obscure titles from years gone. Mainly just newer titles.)
  • Would it be worth it to go from a pirated version of Windows 8 to a legitimate version of Windows 8.1? Or should I get a legitimate copy of Windows 7 and get Windows 10 later?

I think upgrading to Windows 8.1 isn't a good idea, I've been driven nuts by network issues....

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

I will keep it short - Ever since I went from pirated WIN7 to legit 8.1 I haven't had a SINGLE issue, not a single BSOD, no nothing :) I reinstalled once, but that was due to a complete overhaul of my rig.

EDIT - when in doubt, buy a copy here - http://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/comments/2ixue7/h_windows_7_8_81_windows_server_office_visio/

I bought Office 2013 there, 100% legit

I will keep it short - Ever since I went from pirated WIN7 to legit 8.1 I haven't had a SINGLE issue, not a single BSOD, no nothing :) I reinstalled once, but that was due to a complete overhaul of my rig.

Do you have network issue? Every time I connect to Wi-Fi it's limited, driven me nuts....

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

1 in my experience makes no difference

2 yes

3 much better in my opinion

4 Optional if you unplug your internet when installing

5 Windows 8.1 has much faster boot times

6 In my experience all games work

7 Just search around

8 I tried it works but i had some hickupps just buy one i did finally

9 Metro..

Pffff that took some work haha ;)

Do you have network issue? Every time I connect to Wi-Fi it's limited, driven me nuts....

No issues, but maybe that is due to the fact I don't use Wi-fi :)

No issues, but maybe that is due to the fact I don't use Wi-fi :)

F*ck, I think it's time to find my ethernet cable.....

PC Specs

Indonesia

Australia 

F*ck, I think it's time to find my ethernet cable.....

I used Wi-Fi, but that is a no-no for Diablo III Hardcore.... a single micro-disconnect can cost me my life, literally

EDIT - when in doubt, buy a copy here - http://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/comments/2ixue7/h_windows_7_8_81_windows_server_office_visio/

I bought Office 2013 there, 100% legit

I would stay away from /r/microsoftsoftwareswap. Most if not all of the keys are not for resale. Many are dreamspark (designed for students) or keys designed to be given to PC manufacturers. It is a little short of being as bad as piracy.

I would stay away from /r/microsoftsoftwareswap. Most if not all of the keys are not for resale. Many are dreamspark (designed for students) or keys designed to be given to PC manufacturers. It is a little short of being as bad as piracy.

I had no problems when buying Office 2013 Pro two weeks ago :) so, yeah...

I had no problems when buying Office 2013 Pro two weeks ago :) so, yeah...

I'm not saying the keys won't work. I'm saying the keys are illegitimate and Microsoft can and has revoked them in the past.

I'm not saying the keys won't work. I'm saying the keys are illegitimate and Microsoft can and has revoked them in the past.

Well, we shall see :) And even if I get Office revoked, no biggie :) I bought WIN8 in a local shop, that is important not to lose :D

- If you plan to upgrade your motherboard soon, get the retail copy of Windows. If you are student you have a special pricing at Microsoft online store (70$ - Windows 8.1 Pro full). If your school or departmenet is registered to MSDNAA or Dreamspark Premium, then Windows 8.1 is free

- Don't know, but should

- I don't understand your question, but a Microsoft account is needed to use Windows 8.x and Windows 10 if you want to use the App Store, music service (if you are subscribe to it), rent/buy movies from the video app, and so on.

- Windows 8 boot time from shutdown will be faster. Restart should be similar. Windows 8 does however fully support UEFI. If your system is UEFI supported, and you set it up to be UEFI ready (ie: you don't disable UEFI mode in the BIOS), then, with an SSD, your computer should be able to boot from power button "click" sound to your desktop fully loaded, from shutdown: down to 6se. Windows 7 doesn't really support UEFI.

- Everything that works in Windows 7 should work perfectly fine under Windows 8.x

- Always go legit. ALWAYS. Especially when it comes to OS. The one thing you don't want to pirate are OSs. They turn your box of circuitry which is essentially nothing more than a door stop, to system you are enjoying now. You don't want an OS that was potentially modified implementing security holes or stability issues, not to mention built-in malware and viruses that can't be detected by any security software as they are embedded.

- There is a learning curve. On average it takes a month to get used to the new Start Screen and layout.

Why don't you wait for Windows 10 in few months ? It will be free for existing Windows 7 users...

On average it takes a month to get used to the new Start Screen and layout.

That's a joke, right? I was over not having a start menu in less than five minutes.

That's a joke, right? I was over not having a start menu in less than five minutes.

That is based on numerous and I mean numerous feedback I got from this and other forum.