2 GPU in 1 system but not SLI/CF

john_the_papito

Hello i have this idea of buying a GTX 960 now because my budget is low but to get a GTX 980 in late 2015 can i run both card in one system

since i have dual monitor i plan to have my gaming 27' monitor connected the GTX 980 and the secondary monitor connected to the GTX 960

will it work?? and here so question i want to know 

1.above

2.is it possible to just put it in SLI the 960 and 980 and connect both monitor in the 980 will it work or there is no performance gained?

3.can i have 2 GPU where 1st GPU(980) for my main monitor and 2nd GPU(960) for my secondary monitor which i use for browser.  

Nope, this won't work

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

yes

no

yes

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Hello i have this idea of buying a GTX 960 now because my budget is low but to get a GTX 980 in late 2015 can i run both card in one system

since i have dual monitor i plan to have my gaming 27' monitor connected the GTX 980 and the secondary monitor connected to the GTX 960

will it work?? and here so question i want to know 

1.above

2.is it possible to just put it in SLI the 960 and 980 and connect both monitor in the 980 will it work or there is no performance gained?

3.can i have 2 GPU where 1st GPU(980) for my main monitor and 2nd GPU(960) for my secondary monitor which i use for browser.  

I dont understand why you'd want toplug them into different cards in the first place since the one card has more than 1 monitor output

As for having 2 cards, yes you can, what some people do is use one card as a Phys X slave but that's about all you can do with it

You'd be better off selling it 

1.above

you can use both, and hook each up to a different monitor no problem.

you cannot SLI them later. so it's best just to buy two of the same instead.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

yes

no

yes

This

Why dont you just save or whatever and get a single 980 and plug both screens into? Do you really need a 960 if you are going to go to a 980 so soon?

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

I dont understand why you'd want toplug them into different cards in the first place since the one card has more than 1 monitor output

As for having 2 cards, yes you can, what some people do is use one card as a Phys X slave but that's about all you can do with it

You'd be better off selling it 

well i don't know what to do with the 960 after i get the 980 so i tout the its better to gave a dedicated card for my 2nd monitor :D  

Rumours stated that DX12 would allow SLI/CFX between every card possible(like having a SLI/CFX between a 290x and a 970), but they're only rumours, so I'm insecure at the second one. Yes for the first and third questions.

Fujitsu Celsius 380W: i5 650 @ 3.2 Ghz | FUJITSU D2917-A1 | 4GB RAM 1333Mhz | ASUS GTX 750 TI Strix OC Edition | Fujitsu Case | 380W Fujitsu PSU | 250GB HDD | Windows 7 64 bit | Dell P2214H

Rekty Shrekty 

Why dont you just save or whatever and get a single 980 and plug both screens into? Do you really need a 960 if you are going to go to a 980 so soon?

well i want one now for GTA V but i dont have enough in my budget right now to get the 980 i cant wait 6 month to play a game i been witting 18 months now.

well i don't know what to do with the 960 after i get the 980 so i tout the its better to gave a dedicated card for my 2nd monitor :D

you aren't going to see any improvements then. i think two 960s in SLI would be better than a single 980.

i advise you buy a second 960, hook both monitors up to it, and go SLI.

Rumours stated that DX12 would allow SLI/CFX between every card possible(like having a SLI/CFX between a 290x and a 970), but they're only rumours, so I'm insecure at the second one. Yes for the first and third questions.

i believe the VRAM combo, but i don't believe this.

well i want one now for GTA V but i dont have enough in my budget right now to get the 980 i cant wait 6 month to play a game i been witting 18 months now.

Then get a 960 now and then sell ur 960 and buy a 980 later on, other wise it will get very complicated and drivers will freak out

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

you aren't going to see any improvements then. i think two 960s in SLI would be better than a single 980.

Really some people says that GTX 970 is better than GTX 960 4gb in SLI 

But he would not have nearly enough VRAM, GTA is suppoesd to be quite VRAM intensive I belive, even at 1080

Then get a 960 now and then sell ur 960 and buy a 980 later on, other wise it will get very complicated and drivers will freak out

the drivers will not freak out. i once ran a radeon card and and two different Nvidia cards at the same time. the drivers know what they're doing.

Really some people says that GTX 970 is better than GTX 960 4gb in SLI 

then it looks like OP needs to just get the 980 instead.

One single higher end GPU is always a better option than 2 lower performance in SLI, sell the 960 when you get the 980, use both monitors on the single card.

why not sell both of them and get 970's in sli? :)

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

1.above

yes

no

yes

It would be best to sell the old card when you get the new one, or SLI 2 of the same kind.