can't get network on Ubuntu VM

I am using VMware and I can't get network access.

It says something like "missing eth0" 

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

sudo ifdown -asudo ifup -a

if that doesn't work

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

make sure it looks like this

# The loopback network interfaceauto loiface lo inet loopback #eth0 auto eth0iface eth0 inet dhcp

if it doesn't, modify the file (ctrl+o to save, ctrl+x to exit), and then run 

sudo ifdown -asudo ifup -a

If that still doesn't work

sudo lshw -class network

This should at least let us know if any ethernet devices are detected

output should look something like this:

*-networkdescription: Ethernet interfaceproduct: BCM4401-B0 100Base-TXvendor: Broadcom Corporationphysical id: 0bus info: pci@[member='0000matteo0000']:03:00.0logical name: eth0version: 02serial: 00:15:c5:4a:16:5asize: 10MB/scapacity: 100MB/swidth: 32 bitsclock: 33MHzcapabilities: (snipped for brevity)configuration: (snipped for brevity)resources: irq:17 memory:ef9fe000-ef9fffff

If that doesn't return any relevant info, shutdown the VM and make sure there is a network adapter attached. If there is one attached/enabled, make sure it is configured in bridge/NAT mode. Basically we're just querying the OS to spit out all the network devices it sees.

The last thing you can try to do is install the vmware-tools. There's plenty of guides on this on google. I will mention though, that vmware is seriously slacking when it comes to updating their tools with current kernel compatibility. A lot of the "features" they advertise as working with the vmware-tools aren't compatible with the latest kernel. You can apply some patches to the code base and recompile it to force it to install, but it still is a big pain in the ass...Virtualbox FTW!