Ivy or Haswell?

jly7870

Planning a build for a friend, should he go with ivy or haswell (no oc)? also wat is the usb 3.0 bug with haswell?

thxs!

_______________________________________________________________________________________

came up with this, his budget is $1200 CAD

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/1faSG

MY RIG: i5 3470 | 8GB RAM | GTX 660 2GB | 240GB SSD | 1TB HD

PERIPHERALS: CORSAIR K65 (MX CHERRY RED) | STEELSERIES SENSEI RAW | STEELSERIES SIBERIA V2

thxs for the quick reply guys! also any1 can answer the other question still, abut some usb 3.0 bug with haswell?

PERIPHERALS: CORSAIR K65 (MX CHERRY RED) | STEELSERIES SENSEI RAW | STEELSERIES SIBERIA V2

There is some problem with USB thumdrive getting data erased when returning from sleep.mode. it only affects a small number of thumb drive and do sent affect USB 2.0 or any other pheripherals.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

There is some problem with USB thumdrive getting data erased when returning from sleep.mode. it only affects a small number of thumb drive and do sent affect USB 2.0 or any other pheripherals.

thxs :D

XX MOVED 2 TOP XX

use the newer one if you can, so go haswell unless you have a very good discount on ivy brige. the thermal and preformance is worth it.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/1faSG

came up with this, his budget is $1200 CAD

You forgot memory. also you could save a good 40 bucks on the psu and get a semi modular 600w psu.

My Build

Corsair Obsidian 350d // I7-4770k  // Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H  // MSI Gaming N760 TF 2GD5 GeForce GTX 760 // Corsair Vengance (2x8GB) 16GB // Cooler Master Seidon 240m (push-pull) // Corsair SP120 (x2) //1TB WD Blue // 120GB Samsung 840 SSD // Corsair CX600M // Win 8 - Ubuntu - OSX (on the way)

You forgot memory. also you could save a good 40 bucks on the psu and get a semi modular 600w psu.

srry i forgot i got 8gb kingston kit and im going 2 give it 2 him. the psu is semi modular

srry i forgot i got 8gb kingston kit and im going 2 give it 2 him. the psu is semi modular

Ah never mind then. Yeah I saw it was, I only made that comment because I thought you hadn't gotten the memory yet and that a different semi modular unit could save money. Solid build!

My Build

Corsair Obsidian 350d // I7-4770k  // Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H  // MSI Gaming N760 TF 2GD5 GeForce GTX 760 // Corsair Vengance (2x8GB) 16GB // Cooler Master Seidon 240m (push-pull) // Corsair SP120 (x2) //1TB WD Blue // 120GB Samsung 840 SSD // Corsair CX600M // Win 8 - Ubuntu - OSX (on the way)

Ah never mind then. Yeah I saw it was, I only made that comment because I thought you hadn't gotten the memory yet and that a different semi modular unit could save money. Solid build!

thxs!

Question ? Why did you not put this under cpu & motherboards, & description of the use of the build

Question ? Why did you not put this under cpu & motherboards, & description of the use of the build

b/c i was planning wat to get, then i updated it with a build.

Any extra overclocking you might be able to hit with Ivy might be negated by Haswell's increased IPC.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

You should either get an unlocked cpu like the 4670k or get a non-z87 board. The z series is for overclocking. Also, no point in getting an aftermarket cooler if you're not overclocking.

My recommendation: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/1fqOn

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.