Is 2GB of GDDR5 still enough at 1080p?

Matduss

I heard about a month ago that 2GB of GDDR5 won't be enough at 1080p soon. I want some opinions because I  own a GTX 750 Ti and I think it performs rather well at 1080p. I can play smoothly on Ultra settings with Sniper Elite 3, same thing for Assetto Corsa but with Dying Light I have to dial the settings down a bit but I still get some pretty good graphics in my opinion. What do you guys think, is 2GB of GDDR5 still enough?

As long as you are playing at a "true" 1080p you are fine.

Things like 16X AA will push 2GB, but almost remove the 1080p feeling, and are almost downsampled higher rez's. (Especially if it IS SSAA)

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

As long as you are playing at a "true" 1080p you are fine.

Things like 16X AA will push 2GB, but almost remove the 1080p feeling, and are almost downsampled higher rez's. (Especially if it IS SSAA)

So say I was to upgrade my graphics card. A GTX 970 would be kind of overkill but a GTX 960 would just fine?

So say I was to upgrade my graphics card. A GTX 970 would be kind of overkill but a GTX 960 would just fine?

I think something like a 280X would be better (Or a 4GB 960).

Yes you won't need all of it, but at that price point you might as well get what you pay for.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

Please don't buy the 960. Go for the R9 280X.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

it all depends. 2gb is fine for lower end cards like the 750ti, any settings that would push more than 2gb vram would be too much for the card to render smoothly anyway. when you start getting higher up, it can be difficult to say. certain forms of anti aliasing will drive the vram up (MSAA and especially SSAA are the worst for this) higher quality textures also use up a lot of vram, like shadow of mordor and modded skyrim.

the problem with vram is that when you go over, your framerate tanks. seriously less than 1 frame per second. happened to me in thief on my r9 270 for a about half a minute, still not sure how the hell that happened but ya. AMD has some nice options around the 960's price if a 970 is out of reach for ya. The 280 performs just under the 960 but with that safety net of an extra gig of ram and the 280X costs a bit more on average but out performs it.

unless you really want physx/shadow play i'd say go with one of those two cards, you can't go wrong with either one.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB