MSI launches low power Braswell motherboards. AMD Kabini killer?

LukaP

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9147/braswell-msi-launches-three-miniitx-eco-motherboards

msi-braswell-eco-motherboards%20%281%29_

Braswell (codename Cherry Trail-D) is Intels version of Airmont architecture for the desktop markets. The Chips come with up to 4 cores, and 2.4GHz clockspeed. Since they are based on Airmont, which is a 14nm shrink of Silvermont, they are quite capable cores, but nowhere close to what Core is.

The SKUs feature the same graphics architecture as their Core brothers though, simply called Gen8. (This is just my assumptions, but id say they will come with two subslices, meaning 16EU.) Their TDP will be 6W, so the cooling is passive. Since this is the same GPU architecture as with their bigger gpus, it also includes hardware H.265/HEVC Encode and Decode capabilities, making this product very suitable for a SteamBox type device.

Now lets talk about what MSI are bringing out. Its part of their "low power" ECO range, from which the B85 ECO is. They are bringing in three SKUs, with the only differing factor being the CPU. The top part uses a quad core 2.4GHz part, middle range uses a quad core 2.08GHz part, and the low end SKU uses a dual core running at 2.16GHz.

The motherboards are as said teh same, and include two DDR3L-1600 SODIMM slots, PCIe2.0x1, 2xSATA III, 1GbE, USB3.0, and what appears to be a 2.1 audio codec. 

So if the pricing of this is right, this could very well kill Kabini, as its faster and less power hungry, as well as passively cooled.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Looks like a really solid product to me. If I were in the market, I would probably wait and pick one up.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

It will kill Kabini and may be my next NAS mobo.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

If it's cheap I'll probably make a media pc out of one.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It will kill Kabini and may be my next NAS mobo.

It only supports 2 SATA ports, and the PCIe is limited to 2.0x1 so only 500MB/s per direction for bandwidth. you need to keep that in mind

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Kabini still has a place because AMD includes AES-NI on all they're newer processors something Intel only does on a handful, granted more since Haswell but still not all. So a pfSense router is a good use for a embedded Kabini unlike most Intel counter parts.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

This.

Why.

Always.

Only.

TWO.

Fking.

SATA

Ports?!?!?!

Because.

It.

Will.

Probably.

Cost.

Less.

Than.

Seventy.

Fukin.

Dollars.

It only supports 2 SATA ports, and the PCIe is limited to 2.0x1 so only 500MB/s per direction for bandwidth. you need to keep that in mind

True, but I only have 2 6TB HDD's and a boot SSD, so I dont need too much connectivity.

True, but I only have 2 6TB HDD's and a boot SSD, so I dont need too much connectivity.

would still need a Raid/SATA card to use all three, at which point you might as well go 1150 Celeron with B85 or something like that.

would still need a Raid/SATA card to use all three, at which point you might as well go 1150 Celeron with B85 or something like that.

Bah fuck. G1820 and H81 is what I'll do then. ~$85 so not too bad.

There're mb's for kabini with 4 SATA ports and for less than 70 $ CPU+MB :P

But Kabini is a shitty product. Jaguar/Puma IPC is 0, while they suck way too much power. And their GPU is too much for what they are meant to be. plus 28nm while this is 14nm. 

Bah fuck. G1820 and H81 is what I'll do then. ~$85 so not too bad.

Id still wait and see what the price on this is. and maybe someone else will come out with something similar with 4SATA ports :)

Id still wait and see what the price on this is. and maybe someone else will come out with something similar with 4SATA ports :)

True true

Still... What about Slim ODD+SSD+HDD?!?!?!??!sdfsdfsdfsdfdfasiodga8sdgfaw Like... they could add 2xSATA2 ports for cheap :P

Yes i know. Ill go research into the Cherry Trail platform a little, and will skype you later :P you can rant there xD Though this would be perfect for your stupid ass builds you do all the time xD

Also, this is a sub 70$ platform, its hardly expected to use both an SSD and a HDD in it xD

But Kabini is a shitty product. Jaguar/Puma IPC is 0, while they suck way too much power. And their GPU is too much for what they are meant to be. plus 28nm while this is 14nm. 

I disagree I think it isn't a shitty product for it's price and performance.

And to be clear we are talking about AM1 ? or embedded ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

This seems like a very hard to sell product

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

I disagree I think it isn't a shitty product for it's price and performance.

And to be clear we are talking about AM1 ? or embedded ?

Well you are kinda dumb... :P

Yeah AM1.

This seems like a very hard to sell product

well it would be great for a cheap steambox or a HTPC sort of thing. Not that good as a nas, with other offerings by intel already filling that space nicely and for cheap...

Well you are kinda dumb... :P

Yeah AM1.

well it would be great for a cheap steambox or a HTPC sort of thing. Not that good as a nas, with other offerings by intel already filling that space nicely and for cheap...

Will you know I learned from the best  ;)

I think it's actually great, low power and cheap, yeah I know it's IPC is not that good comparing to Intel but still it's compelling for me.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Jaguar/Puma IPC is 1 is what you meant? Cause 0 makes no sense :P

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Jaguar/Puma IPC is 1 is what you meant? Cause 0 makes no sense :P

Sarcasm baby :P I meant that its so damn low its nearly useless :)

BUT CAN IT RUN CRYSIS I DONT THINK SO PEASANT BOARD LMFAO PC MASTER RACE

so this+ parents=cheapest pc they need and works properly?

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

I wonder how good these would be for a HTPC.

It would be great. 4 Airmont cores, Gen8, hardware HEVC decode... all you need :)

BUT CAN IT RUN CRYSIS I DONT THINK SO PEASANT BOARD LMFAO PC MASTER RACE

Yes it can :P probably low 720p 30fps