Raid 0 on x58?

NakedChicken

I'm looking at getting 2 120 gb Samsung 850 Evo's for $130 on amazon and I have no idea if my motherboard has enough sata 6 gb/s ports to support it without any issues. I know it has 2 sata 6 gb/s ports and the rest are 3 gb/s ports, would I be ok putting my hdd on one of the 3 gb/s ports? I'm a noobs with storage and raid arrays so any help is appreciated. And before anyone asks, I only need about 250 gb of fast storage and its only $15 more over the 250 gb model which would be half the speed of the raid. 

Relevent specs: 

Cpu: i7 950 @ 4.2

Mobo: Gigabyte ga-x58a-ud3r    (here's a link to the product page for info)  http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3449#sp

Ram: 12 of 1600mhz corsair

Thanks!

i5 3570k @ 4.9 ghz/1.27 volts, Asus P8Z77-V LK8 Gb Corsair 1600mhzGigabyte Windforce R9 290 1140/1625, Silverstone RV02, Kingston V300 120 gb, 1 TB WD Blue HDD,Seagate barracuda, Evga Supernova 750 G2Hyper 212 EvoWindows 8.1, K70 Red LED Blue switch, Razer Deathadder 2012, Sennehiser HD 598

RAID 0 will def be for read speeds

but it has a higher chance of failure if one of the drives fail

usually for RAID configs

you need to use the same SATA controller

your X58 is the one providing the SATA 3 

the rest are based off the chipset

you need to build the RAID using the SATA 3 ports

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

RAID 0 will def be for read speeds

but it has a higher chance of failure if one of the drives fail

usually for RAID configs

you need to use the same SATA controller

your X58 is the one providing the SATA 3 

the rest are based off the chipset

you need to build the RAID using the SATA 3 ports

Will they bottleneck off of that? I've heard that most ssds max on the 6 gb/s. The chipset on my mobo has 2 6 gb/s, would I not be able to use that for raid?

i5 3570k @ 4.9 ghz/1.27 volts, Asus P8Z77-V LK8 Gb Corsair 1600mhzGigabyte Windforce R9 290 1140/1625, Silverstone RV02, Kingston V300 120 gb, 1 TB WD Blue HDD,Seagate barracuda, Evga Supernova 750 G2Hyper 212 EvoWindows 8.1, K70 Red LED Blue switch, Razer Deathadder 2012, Sennehiser HD 598

Dont do it.

It doesn't have TRIM while raid is enabled. That could make your ssd degrade in performance VERY fast.

Anyways, HDD should be good with SATA 6Gb

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Will it would work and putting your HDD in Sata 2 port wont make a difference - I can't imagine your HDD would break through the 3Gb/s wall - 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Dont do it.

It doesn't have TRIM while raid is enabled. That could make your ssd degrade in performance VERY fast.

Anyways, HDD should be good with SATA 6Gb

What would you recomend for a boot drive and for a few games? I do plan to upgrade my cpu and mobo on black Friday. Could yoou fill me in on what 'trim' is?

What would you recomend for a boot drive and for a few games? I do plan to upgrade my cpu and mobo on black Friday. Could yoou fill me in on what 'trim' is?

It's just ssd maintenance software. Sort of like how hdds need to be occasionally defragged.

CPU Intel i7 8700k | Motherboard ASUS Z370-E | RAM Corsair Vengeance 16GB(8x 2GB) | GPU Asus Strix 1080ti | Case Corsair 570X | Storage Samsung 960 NVME M.2, Intel 530 240GB ssd, WD Caviar Black 1TB | PSU Corsair AX1200iCooling XSPC Photon 270 reservoir, D5 pump, Raystorm cpu block, and an EX360 rad | Keyboard Corsair k70 rgb | MousLogitech Proteus Spectrum rgb

It's just ssd maintenance software. Sort of like how hdds need to be occasionally defragged.

So will I be alright with just one then? 

And an unrelated question, how high of an overclock do you have on that 990x? 

So will I be alright with just one then? 

And an unrelated question, how high of an overclock do you have on that 990x? 

I've got a single ssd and it does all I need. It's been at 4.5ghz every since I bought it 4 something years ago :D

CPU Intel i7 8700k | Motherboard ASUS Z370-E | RAM Corsair Vengeance 16GB(8x 2GB) | GPU Asus Strix 1080ti | Case Corsair 570X | Storage Samsung 960 NVME M.2, Intel 530 240GB ssd, WD Caviar Black 1TB | PSU Corsair AX1200iCooling XSPC Photon 270 reservoir, D5 pump, Raystorm cpu block, and an EX360 rad | Keyboard Corsair k70 rgb | MousLogitech Proteus Spectrum rgb

I've got a single ssd and it does all I need. It's been at 4.5ghz every since I bought it 4 something years ago :D

Damn that's impressive, I can't get mine to boot above 4.2. Thanks for the help!

x58 chipset is sata 2 (3Gb/s), not sata 3 (6Gb/s.) I should know because I have an x58 board and my Samsung 840 pro is bottlenecked. :lol: As one other guy said on here, don't do it as trim support on a raid is only support on later chipsets. And you're just "starting out" which is a bad combo when trying to build a raid, even if it's 0 (no parity.) You MIGHT be able to claim warranty support within 5 years if they die before then without trim, but who knows if the onboard controller is keeping a detailed log of the (lack of) trim runs and then you might be denied service based on that log, lol. Also, gg your data at any second as well. #10MinuteBackups instead of #hourlyBackups haha.

Anyway, if you buy a single ssd, don't be surprised if you see absolutely PITIFUL numbers like these:

U3jeCLG.png

These chipsets back in 2009 weren't expecting sata 3 ssd's so you really can't complain. Back then, NO ONE was buying ssd's, they all were $350+ a piece (for the good ones) and barely lasted 2 years maximum #OCZ thanks to 1st-gen sandforce controllers.

If you have more money, are slightly misguided, and really don't want to give up your x58 chipset for some reason, an Asus RAIDR pci-e drive might be an option. That will give you raid0 speeds, legecy bios compatibility, and not needing to constantly worry about trim. Except the price -- which again you need to be misguided because you minus well buy a new cpu and mobo combo at that point.

Also, you might alternatively buy more ram so you got 12+GB in your system. At that point, you can setup Samsung's "RapidMode" which turns your ram into a psuedo-ram drive which will give you higher overall drive benchmarks. It all comes down to how your board can handle a higher VTT and pushing the DRAM bus voltage past recommended specs of 1.65v.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Damn that's impressive, I can't get mine to boot above 4.2. Thanks for the help!

What voltages have you tried? It takes mine 1.5v for me to get into windows at 4.95 lmao

It takes mine 1.5v for me to get into windows at 4.95 lmao

Dear God...

instafail IBT within 1 second of clicking "start" on standard stress level?

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Dear God...

instafail IBT within 1 second of clicking "start" on standard stress level?

Never tried since I was rocking an H80 at the time. I just wanted to load windows at 5ghz to see if it was capable with anywhere near acceptable voltages. If I ever win the lottery I'll be sure to force this chip into the promiseland.

Never tried since I was rocking an H80 at the time. I just wanted to load windows at 5ghz to see if it was capable with anywhere near acceptable voltages. If I ever win the lottery I'll be sure to force this chip into the promiseland.

heh, kinda reminds me of this (hilarious) video I watched when I was researching what a 920 was capable of:

I could probably push mine stable 1 tick higher to 4.14GHz, but not really interested in going through another week of stress testing...it was bad enough re-tweaking settings after I re-enabled EIST and C1E.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

heh, kinda reminds me of this (hilarious) video I watched when I was researching what a 920 was capable of:

https://youtu.be/W_YjvXpmJds

I could probably push mine stable 1 tick higher to 4.14GHz, but not really interested in going through another week of stress testing...it was bad enough re-tweaking settings after I re-enabled EIST and C1E.

Holy crap that voltage :lol: . I expected that chip to die midway through the video since he said he was ending it. Is the h60 doing its job? I could probably get mine stable @4.6 but I've no interest in crashings and corrupting my os again. Maybe if I get sick of slightly slower render times lmao.

x58 chipset is sata 2 (3Gb/s), not sata 3 (6Gb/s.) I should know because I have an x58 board and my Samsung 840 pro is bottlenecked. :lol: As one other guy said on here, don't do it as trim support on a raid is only support on later chipsets. And you're just "starting out" which is a bad combo when trying to build a raid, even if it's 0 (no parity.) You MIGHT be able to claim warranty support within 5 years if they die before then without trim, but who knows if the onboard controller is keeping a detailed log of the (lack of) trim runs and then you might be denied service based on that log, lol. Also, gg your data at any second as well. #10MinuteBackups instead of #hourlyBackups haha.

Anyway, if you buy a single ssd, don't be surprised if you see absolutely PITIFUL numbers like these:

U3jeCLG.png

These chipsets back in 2009 weren't expecting sata 3 ssd's so you really can't complain. Back then, NO ONE was buying ssd's, they all were $350+ a piece (for the good ones) and barely lasted 2 years maximum #OCZ thanks to 1st-gen sandforce controllers.

If you have more money, are slightly misguided, and really don't want to give up your x58 chipset for some reason, an Asus RAIDR pci-e drive might be an option. That will give you raid0 speeds, legecy bios compatibility, and not needing to constantly worry about trim. Except the price -- which again you need to be misguided because you minus well buy a new cpu and mobo combo at that point.

Also, you might alternatively buy more ram so you got 12+GB in your system. At that point, you can setup Samsung's "RapidMode" which turns your ram into a psuedo-ram drive which will give you higher overall drive benchmarks. It all comes down to how your board can handle a higher VTT and pushing the DRAM bus voltage past recommended specs of 1.65v.

Jeez, I didn't think the speeds would be so bad. I think I'll just hold off until I get a newmobo and cpu on black friday. Thanks for the heads up!

What voltages have you tried? It takes mine 1.5v for me to get into windows at 4.95 lmao

I put it up to 1.5 and still couldn't get in. Are there other voltages I need to increase? Also If I use XMP with my oc it wont boot either.

Jeez, I didn't think the speeds would be so bad. I think I'll just hold off until I get a newmobo and cpu on black friday. Thanks for the heads up!

You might not need to wait that long, I noticed you do have 12GB of ram in your sig so if you feel comfortable enough that your ram is solid, you could pick up the 850 now and enable RapidMode when you get it. I went back in my drive benchmark history and came across much better benchmarks when I had RapidMode enabled...and I only have 6GB of dominator ram in tri-channel:

XsHhPgg.png

Anyway, I bought my 840 pro a year ago with the thought that I'll eventually need a decent ssd in mind, and I tend to upgrade several parts at a time. My last part was an r9 280 and EVENTUALLY I'll finally get around to buying a new mobo, cpu, and and new ram too because I basically have everything else. I'm giving myself $350 and will be looking to snipe some godlike deals in the future as well, and nothing too cheapo as well so hopefully Asus can hook a brotha up  :D

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

You might not need to wait that long, I noticed you do have 12GB of ram in your sig so if you feel comfortable enough that your ram is solid, you could pick up the 850 now and enable RapidMode when you get it. I went back in my drive benchmark history and came across much better benchmarks when I had RapidMode enabled...and I only have 6GB of dominator ram in tri-channel:

XsHhPgg.png

Anyway, I bought my 840 pro a year ago with the thought that I'll eventually need a decent ssd in mind, and I tend to upgrade several parts at a time. My last part was an r9 280 and EVENTUALLY I'll finally get around to buying a new mobo, cpu, and and new ram too because I basically have everything else. I'm giving myself $350 and will be looking to snipe some godlike deals in the future as well, and nothing too cheapo as well so hopefully Asus can hook a brotha up  :D

I plan to wait outside my microcenter on Black Friday! But until then I don't think I could justify putting an ssd in knowing I'm gonna have a huge bottleneck like that

I put it up to 1.5 and still couldn't get in. Are there other voltages I need to increase? Also If I use XMP with my oc it wont boot either.

I wouldn't bother trying then. Just enjoy it as is

It doesn't have TRIM while raid is enabled.

As one other guy said on here, don't do it as trim support on a raid is only support on later chipsets.

Plenty of X58's running RAID0 with trim working, even boards with ICH8R.

Nope when the data is striped trim will only work on zxx series chipsets

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

You need to make the distinction that this is "highly unofficial," especially on a pre-6 chipset as you're toying with modded code that can break unintended things. Yes, an enthusiastic group might have a custom orom up their sleeves, but are you seriously going to flash your chip with non-validated code from a "very small group of hardware enthusiasts" vs. "a team of Intel engineers"?  Yep, me neither. And to OP who's "just the beginner"? Top kek, I award you the "good luck" charm for avoiding the easy road to bricking your board.

And for a passing "yes," some part of it is likely a "push to upgrade to chipsets" but nonetheless...I've learned to (mostly) trust the horse's mouth over the random "Fernando" living in Germany, probably modding part-time for "side income" coming from the site.

But with all that said, you can do what you want with your board. In the famous words of my former co-workers, "it's not my problem." For me though, it's going to take me several more lines of coke to get to your level. I think I'll stick with caffeine for now :lol:

γνῶθι σεαυτόν