Water Cooling gtx 970?

Go to solution Solved by airdeano,

you'd prolly want to use the NZXT G10 and any Asetek (round pump) AIO, for

cost, the single (120/140mm kits) fan systems are sufficient.

970/980 are the same installation.

I havn't been able to find any AIO water coolers for a gtx 970 and I would like to water cool mine. I'm not very experienced with water cooling and was wondering if it's possible to do on an Asus Strix gtx 970?

I have a 300$ budget for it too if that's enough. 

I havn't been able to find any AIO water coolers for a gtx 970 and I would like to water cool mine. I'm not very experienced with water cooling and was wondering if it's possible to do on an Asus Strix gtx 970?

I think that a combination of this and this would work rather well. You may have to check compatibility, however.

you'd prolly want to use the NZXT G10 and any Asetek (round pump) AIO, for

cost, the single (120/140mm kits) fan systems are sufficient.

970/980 are the same installation.

Why are you planning on doing this? Temperatures or just looks?

Because I feel like if temperatures are not an issue for your overclocking AIO WC for GPUs don't add much, especially to a 970 that doesn't run hot.

im planning the same thing with the same card. 300$ is quite a bit of money just for the gpu. my planned setup has a coolermaster nepton 240m for my cpu and a kraken g10, and a thermaltake water 2.0 performer 120mm rad, plus a pci-e slot fan bracket since for the strix cards the vrm`s are on the opposite side of the fan on the g10 so im going tto youse the pcie brcket to mount the fan on the correct side so it coolds the vrm`s. that whole thing will cost around 260$ cad including tax

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

but yes that video will be the same as the 970

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

Hold on, be careful.

While that video is of the 980, the 970 has the VRMs on the left side of the GPU die.  This is not ideal, but not the end of the world either.  You will do everything mentioned in that video, but you will also need to buy some extras in order to get airflow over the VRMs.

msi970-9b.jpg

Antec Spot Cool will probably be the easiest, but it can look ugly if you don't know how to turn off the blue LED.  It requires opening up the fan and disconnecting the LED.  I don't know how to do that personally, maybe @VSG could help you.  There is also the PCI Fan Bracket which wont be as visually obtrusive and allows you to mount a fan directly beneath your GPU, but it takes up PCI lanes if you were planning to go SLI.

In all honesty, with a $300 budget, maybe consider buying a 980 instead of a 970 if you haven't bought the 970 already.

The Arctic Accelero Extreme is also a good alternative to the G10 that cools the entire card adequately.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."