Gigabyte P34 hdd: 7200rpm hdd in a 5400?

bhagatneel15

Hello, 

if want to put an hdd in a P34 laptop from gigabyte, and Gigabyte's website only lists 5400 rpm hdd's under their website, will a hard drive that runs 7200 rpm and is the 2.5' form factor be usable at its rated rpm in this laptop? Will a 7200 rpm hdd downright not function in this laptop?

Thanks

EDIT:

Sorry, noob here, just added Gigabytes website

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5325#kf

I see no reason why it won't work.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Hello, 

if want to put an hdd in a P34 laptop from gigabyte, and Gigabyte's website only lists 5400 rpm hdd's under their website, will a hard drive that runs 7200 rpm and is the 2.5' form factor be usable at its rated rpm in this laptop? Will a 7200 rpm hdd downright not function in this laptop?

Thanks

Could you link to the laptop in question? (also please quote me to get replies, as I don't follow topics, way to many notifications)

Does not having a second parenthesis around something bother anyone else as much as it does me? (Like if this statement was missing a second side)

Could you link to the laptop in question? (also please quote me to get replies, as I don't follow topics, way to many notifications)

EDIT:

EDIT:

I see no reason a 7200 RPM wouldn't work. That's a nice enough laptop it should do just fine with 7200 RPM. It uses the SATA III interface, so there is no limitation there. If you want more speed though, I would install a mSATA ssd.

Does not having a second parenthesis around something bother anyone else as much as it does me? (Like if this statement was missing a second side)

I see no reason a 7200 RPM wouldn't work. That's a nice enough laptop it should do just fine with 7200 RPM. It uses the SATA III interface, so there is no limitation there. If you want more speed though, I would install a mSATA ssd.

Yep, I plan to use a 128gb samsung msata and probably a 1tb WD hard drive. Do you know if I would get the OS installation disk when I order the laptop (most likely off of xoticpc.com (I would want to have the OS stored on both drives, for redundancy) 

Yep, I plan to use a 128gb samsung msata and probably a 1tb WD hard drive. Do you know if I would get the OS installation disk when I order the laptop (most likely off of xoticpc.com (I would want to have the OS stored on both drives, for redundancy) 

I've never heard of that website, but I would imagine. It really depends on who you get it from. Some manufacturers have it pre-installed and use a disk image in a partition to run windows, so maybe not. It would be a good thing to ask. Most of the time though in laptops the OS is pre-installed making the disk unnecessary. From what I am reading, it says the following: Windows® 8.1

(some custom drivers may be downloaded and not supplied with the system)

It says that on the base spec, Windows 8.1 comes pre-installed, however if you spec it out, you can get an option for disk included. Here is the link to where I'm looking: http://www.xoticpc.com/gigabyte-p34wv3cf2-p-7617.html?wconfigure=yes

if the OS is pre-installed, if I go into system recovery and install windows on a disk other than the primary, without deleting/formating the primary disk, I should be able to easily have windows installed on both disks? (If my question made any sense)

I've never heard of that website, but I would imagine. It really depends on who you get it from. Some manufacturers have it pre-installed and use a disk image in a partition to run windows, so maybe not. It would be a good thing to ask. Most of the time though in laptops the OS is pre-installed making the disk unnecessary. From what I am reading, it says the following: Windows® 8.1

(some custom drivers may be downloaded and not supplied with the system)

It says that on the base spec, Windows 8.1 comes pre-installed, however if you spec it out, you can get an option for disk included. Here is the link to where I'm looking: http://www.xoticpc.com/gigabyte-p34wv3cf2-p-7617.html?wconfigure=yes

Also xoticpc.com is kinda like pcpartpicker only for laptops (except not really). it lets you add things like custom drives, memory, removing bloatware, thermal paste, etc. during checkout, instead of having to order stuff separately, so you dont pay for extra hardware that you dont want. They also seem to have about 50$ lower prices on 1000$+ laptops than any other supplier, and a price match function if you do find the same product for a lower price.

if the OS is pre-installed, if I go into system recovery and install windows on a disk other than the primary, without deleting/formating the primary disk, I should be able to easily have windows installed on both disks? (If my question made any sense)

technically yes, but it's never a good idea to have window's installed on two drives in the same computer. They tend not to get along. You may be better off doing a system recovery and install windows onto a jump drive, that way you have it. Just make sure you keep the product key around.

technically yes, but it's never a good idea to have window's installed on two drives in the same computer. They tend not to get along. You may be better off doing a system recovery and install windows onto a jump drive, that way you have it. Just make sure you keep the product key around.

Awesome, thanks! Any tips or forum posts to read when managing an SSD HDD dual storage solution, other than the obvious 'most used files go to faster storage'..it would be my first time using a dual storage solution.

http://www.howtogeek.com/172545/7-tips-for-using-multiple-hard-drives-with-windows/ gives a few tips and tricks. 

Then there's always linux that's fun to mess around with. http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/07/23/dual-boot-ubuntu-12-04-and-windows-7-on-a-computer-with-2-hard-drives/

It also depends on whether or not the drives are in raid. If they are, I suggest just searching raid in the search bar. A million and one things will come up.

Awesome, thanks! Any tips or forum posts to read when managing an SSD HDD dual storage solution, other than the obvious 'most used files go to faster storage'..it would be my first time using a dual storage solution.

Thanks! but you cant raid 2 different sized drives/ drives with different interfaces can you (msata and sata?)?

Thanks! but you cant raid 2 different sized drives/ drives with different interfaces can you (msata and sata?)?

Yes. Possibly. No. But you would not want to do it. The speed of the drive (MBps) will be limited to the slowest drive and the capacity to the smallest one*. Even if your motherboard/laptop supported using different interfaces there is no reason to do that.

*For raid 0 it would be limited to 2x128gigs so 256gigs and the 2xspeed of the hard drive. for raid 1 it would be 128gigs and the speed of the hard drive.

There is no reason to do that.