Who owns a Silicon Power S60 SSD?

Just wondering who owns a Silicon Power S60?

I managed to upgrade the firmware on the controller, wondering if I should write a short tutorial on how to do so since the "Update toolkit" located on Silicon Power's website does not even work and states the drive is "out of date" so... yeah. It was 433MB/s R and 125MB/s W which is WAY under the specs on the box. Currently installing Windows 8.1 onto the SSD once again with the new firmware so I'll post and update if those speeds increase.

I picked up the drive because I have never owned an SSD before and it was on sale for $65CAD at my local store. I seriously love SSDs now, even my mom likes the speed of this drive haha, I thought I wouldn't care but man 13 second boot times are GREAT!

This was my first SSD haha...

blackshades on

The Silicon Power SSDs never give the r/w speed promised, at least from my experience. I previously owned a 120gb Velox V70, 250 read and 100 write on crystaldiskmark. Apparently they got the advertised speeds (550 read 510 write) from ATTO, and even then I was getting nowhere near the advertised speeds. Funny thing is, they even listed it as having 300 read 150 write on AS SSD, it's just  that those results were in very small text in the corner of the page so nobody could be bothered to read them. 

The Silicon Power SSDs never give the r/w speed promised, at least from my experience. I previously owned a 120gb Velox V70, 250 read and 100 write on crystaldiskmark. Apparently they got the advertised speeds (550 read 510 write) from ATTO, and even then I was getting nowhere near the advertised speeds. Funny thing is, they even listed it as having 300 read 150 write on AS SSD, it's just  that those results were in very small text in the corner of the page so nobody could be bothered to read them. 

That's hilarious wow, yeah my drive stated 550 read and 500 write so it was far off. It did reach 500 read after the firmware update that was never made for this drive but I still haven't finished installing updates and drivers. Next time I'll go for a better known brand since this PS9 controller isn't the greatest. Still fast as balls.

blackshades on

• 11 months later...

hello. can you please share as of to exactly how you managed to update the firmware on the s60? i just got one and can't seem to get the utility to detect the drive. i have also tried that field updater package as well. and am also using the SSD as a secondary, as in it doesn't have my OS on it. it seems like i may have to make it my primary, install an OS and boot from it. i am hoping there is an easier way. :/

1 minute ago, slipknot74892 said:

hello. can you please share as of to exactly how you managed to update the firmware on the s60? i just got one and can't seem to get the utility to detect the drive. i have also tried that field updater package as well. and am also using the SSD as a secondary, as in it doesn't have my OS on it. it seems like i may have to make it my primary, install an OS and boot from it. i am hoping there is an easier way. :/

I believe the S60 isn't compatible with their software for whatever reason. I had the same issue, and ended up just throwing the SSD into my parents laptop. Upgrading the SSD firmware did help a little bit, but overall it's kinda junk. The process is a little weird, but I'll write a tutorial tomorrow and tag you in it.

blackshades on

heya. i have been trying many things here, but can't seem to figure anything out here. is a firmware update even applicable? if an update can't solve this, then i have choice to send it back.

according to the intel ssd tool my firmware version is O1120A, sadly it won't let me use the firmware update. it is the only firmware tool i have found to detect the drive, but have only tried a few.

• 2 weeks later...

Silicon Power customer support hasn't responded in over a week.

can anyone help?

• 3 weeks later...

Silicon Power doesn't seem to have any kind of customer support, and i just can't figure out how to flash the thing. screw it... guess it is trash. FML