Anti Virus for Windows 8.1

Prints

Does Windows defender do a good job or is there another free option that people prefer?

Thanks for any help.

Windows Defender is meant for the time between installing your OS and installing your Anti-Virus. Even Microsoft say you shouldn't use it for your main source of protection.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Bit-Defender is great ^~^

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

I think we really need a sticky on this, or recommend software in general.  I feel like this question is asked too much.

That aside:

For free AV you should either get Avira or Bitdefender.  Bitdefender is more lightweight, but it doesn't give you many options in terms of control or how it works.

If you want a paid one then either Bitdefender or Kaspersky.  I would probably go with Kaspersky just for the fact that their team has found a lot of security issues in the past.  You can also check out AVTEST, a third-party company that rates AVs.  (Bitdefender and Kaspersky are the top 2)

Many thanks for the help guys.
Went with Bitdefender based on your recommendations :)