My GPU was getting a bit too hot and lound...

Ghastlysmile

Hello LTT.

This is my first time posting here so I hope that I have put this in the right section.

My GTX 560 ti was starting to annoy me because when I started playing any modern game my GPU's temps would go upto 85~90°C and the fans sounded like they were trying to become a vacuum cleaner...

I had a H100i cooling my CPU so one day I thought about trying to put my H100i on my GPU, after not really finding much on google about doing what I had in mind I decided to just go for it and see what happens.

After a few hours of working out how to and fitting the CPU block onto the GPU I was able to mount the block onto the GPU.

And here are the results:

http://imgur.com/wBmBRg3

http://imgur.com/BPWBl5w

I was wanting to put the rad at the bottom of my case but my PSU was about 1cm to long and the pipes were to short to reach the front of my case :(

As for the temps my GPU now idles around 27°C were it used to idle at 40°C, when gaming it now sits around 45~50°C, even after upping the Core clock from the stock 823MHz to 950MHz the temps are still sitting around at 45~50°C. I am thinking of pushing my GPU a bit more but I am not sure how far I can push it :unsure:

I have not done anything to the memory clock yet because I am not sure how well it will like it with only being cooled by air flowing over it, in the future I might try and put some heat sinks on the memory with a fan blowing down on it.

And yes, my cable management sucks...

If you have any questions or want to see some more pics let me know :)

I am working on an idea to cool the VRMs, the previous cooler just blew air over the VRMs and the VRMs did not even have any heat sinks on them.

vrms fire in 3... 2... 1...

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I am working on an idea to cool the VRMs, the previous cooler just blew air over the VRMs and the VRMs did not even have any heat sinks on them.

That's why it didn't have passive cooling :P

The fans from the rad are still blowing cool air over the card so unless I start messing with the VRMs I think it should be fine untill I come up with an idea on how to cool them properly.

Just get some Alphacool heatsinks and some thermal adhesive.

CPU: Intel i5 3330 @3.6ghz
GPU: EVGA GTX960 SSC
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix 4GB (1x4GB)

MOBO: Asus P8Z77 V-LX

PSU: Corsair CX500m
CASE: NZXT H440

I will have a look at the thermal adhesive, I have a air cooler from a dead GTS 250 that I could cut up and use the thermal adhesive to stick onto the VRMs.

Your idle was about 40 degrees? That seems very high, is nothing else wrong that you noticed when stripping the card?

And to copy everyone else, get some good cooling on the vrms to prevent something bad.

I don't know what was cooking with my GPU's air cooler because I had replaced the thermal paste a few weeks ago but that did nothing to the temps, my only theory is that there was maybe something wrong with the heatsink it's self?

I have a plan for the VRM heatsink I just need to get some thermal adhesive.

Exactly how did you mount the aio on the gpu? I have a huge "triple" aio I may(would like) try to mount on my 780.

Steam and origins ID: Erebus305

Nvm, Ahh I see may need to take a trip to my local hardware you are inspiring OP hehe.

Steam and origins ID: Erebus305

I made the brackets myself so I don't know if you will be able to find the brackets at a hardware store, if you need any tips send me a message and I can see what I can help you with.

^^ :lol: Thankfully my card did not make that much noise or spit out fire :P