Sony A7 vs Canon 6D

I want to get a nice camera, i've been using my moms Nikon D3100 for awhile but I want something Nicer and that's mine. I love actually owning the things I use. So my question is which camera will be better for my situation. I want to experiment a lot with many different styles of photography, and I want to know which camera will be more "universal". I know the A7 is godly when It comes to low lightly, but I'm not sure if I'll need that. Also I do plan on doing plenty of video work. I know heard the cannon has a better codec but I'm not sure if I'm going to need that. Also if you can put A couple of lens suguestions with the camera you think is better.

Well first the 6D isn't theat great of as a video camera, the A7S is a better solution. To be exact I would recommend getting the Sony if I was in this situation, one thing is, you will prob be getting a lens mount for canon lenses for the Sony, cause the sony lenses are limited and aren't that good or costs a fortune comparably. 

I want to get a nice camera, i've been using my moms Nikon D3100 for awhile but I want something Nicer and that's mine. I love actually owning the things I use. So my question is which camera will be better for my situation. I want to experiment a lot with many different styles of photography, and I want to know which camera will be more "universal". I know the A7 is godly when It comes to low lightly, but I'm not sure if I'll need that. Also I do plan on doing plenty of video work. I know heard the cannon has a better codec but I'm not sure if I'm going to need that. Also if you can put A couple of lens suguestions with the camera you think is better.

the A7s is a god with low light the A7 is just like any normal full frame camera

There is the A7, A7r A7s and A7II - so take that into consideration

The A7 is much better at video than the Canon 6d, if you want to record to a better codec, you can use an atamos ninja and use HDMI out to get a super high quality bit rate - only matter if colour grading though

I just bought the Tamron 28-75mm f2,8 - its a pretty amazing lens for the price (using the LEA4 adapter for my a7)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I know the a7s is the god, I forgot to put the s, oops. Well looks like I am getting the a7. Should be a great upgrade from the Nikon d3100 I've been using. Any suggestions for great accessories for the a7.

Thanks

The A7s is a better video camera then the A7, but erven the A7 will work perfectly, also there is alot of refurbish deals for it ATM making it under $900 USD.

Parts to look into:

-Canon mount

-tripod

-de-clicked manual lens would help in video work

-basic lighting for video (ie. hotshoe LEDs)

-a good camera bag

-extra batteries

-50mm 1.4 or 1.8 is always a good lens to get

I know the a7s is the god, I forgot to put the s, oops. Well looks like I am getting the a7. Should be a great upgrade from the Nikon d3100 I've been using. Any suggestions for great accessories for the a7.

Thanks

Depends on your budget and what lenses you are looking at :P

Good Fluid head tripod

Fast Prime (maybe the new 28mm f2.0 or 35mm f2.8)

Walk around lens - I use the Tamron 28-75 f2,8 A mount

Camera mic? Rode Videomic

Nice sling - I use the blackrapid metro

Sony LEA4 adapter to use A mount lenses

Canon adapter (or other 3rd part lens adapter)

some lighting for video work

Depends what you need, want, and what you can spend tbh, there are a billion options

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

A7S is a video god but its also the most expensive of the A7 lot. 

The A7R is a great high MP camera, more for studio use. 

The regular A7 can be had for under 1k and its still a great purchase. 

The A7 II with its IBIS is fantastic, but the IS doesn't work with all lenses so take that into consideration before you pluge money on the newest version. 

For video work, I would think the Panasonic gh4 would be the best choice in that price range.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

For video work, I would think the Panasonic gh4 would be the best choice in that price range.

GH4 is not a great still shooter though, poor low light performance being its main downside

More of a video camera,

4k is a much more demanding work flow too, not always easy to recommend,

Well as I am a Canon owner I would sway towards the Canon 6D. However the A7 is a very good camera! But it does all depend on the glass you are putting infront of it. Can has a much larger selection of lenses compared to the Sony series of lenses. Why have you ruled out the Canon 5D MK III?

Are you starting photography or coming from another camera system?

Well as I am a Canon owner I would sway towards the Canon 6D. However the A7 is a very good camera! But it does all depend on the glass you are putting infront of it. Can has a much larger selection of lenses compared to the Sony series of lenses. Why have you ruled out the Canon 5D MK III?

Are you starting photography or coming from another camera system?

the 5dmk3 is twice the price of the A7 or 6d - thats probably why!

Can use canon glass on Sony, or in fact Nikon, Leica, or well any glass really

the 5dmk3 is twice the price of the A7 or 6d - thats probably why!

Can use canon glass on Sony, or in fact Nikon, Leica, or well any glass really

I am was looking at used prices doh! A used 5D MK III is about £1400-1500ish

That is also a fair point. I have generally stuck to one camera brand and then bought lenses with that cameras mount...

I am was looking at used prices doh! A used 5D MK III is about £1400-1500ish

That is also a fair point. I have generally stuck to one camera brand and then bought lenses with that cameras mount...

Yeah used maybe but then you can probably get a used 6d / A7 like £800-£1000  

Yeah well with canon, you cannot use other glass, since there is no space to fit an adapter and have a lens work 

That is a unique trait of mirrorless, the A7 flange distance is so small that you can get adapters for almost 99% of lenses for other system, I uses 40 year old Canon FD glass on mine sometimes, with an adapter I bought for £9 on amazon

You can also get a metabones speedbooster to give you an extra stop of light when using Canon lenses on your sony A7 - though the AF speed is about half what it should be - but still works, manual works beautifully with focus peaking though :)

and you can use all the A mount lenses with the right adapter too, most sigma and tamron lenses come in A mount , and you can use all the NEX E mount lenses and there are now more FE lenses too :)

The 6D is a great camera for stills, its main downside is the video aspect, its not great and as a whole carries less features than the a7 - however it will balance better with Canon lenses - and lenses for Canon are generally cheaper too and no adapters required

Yeah well with canon, you cannot use other glass, since there is no space to fit an adapter and have a lens work 

That is a unique trait of mirrorless, the A7 flange distance is so small that you can get adapters for almost 99% of lenses for other system, I uses 40 year old Canon FD glass on mine sometimes, with an adapter I bought for £9 on amazon

You can also get a metabones speedbooster to give you an extra stop of light when using Canon lenses on your sony A7 - though the AF speed is about half what it should be - but still works, manual works beautifully with focus peaking though :)

and you can use all the A mount lenses with the right adapter too, most sigma and tamron lenses come in A mount , and you can use all the NEX E mount lenses and there are now more FE lenses too :)

The 6D is a great camera for stills, its main downside is the video aspect, its not great and as a whole carries less features than the a7 - however it will balance better with Canon lenses - and lenses for Canon are generally cheaper too and no adapters required

Yeh, I think used 6D's are going for that sort of price... Trying to remember talkphotography prices...

I had the issue a little while ago when I used an adapter with my FD 50mm. The mirror just smacked it and that was the end of that experiment...

My friend has just bought a BM and a similar adapter to the metabones... (Cant remember the name of it but Dave dougdale the youtuber did a review a short time ago).

Yeh, I think used 6D's are going for that sort of price.

I had the issue a little while ago when I used an adapter with my FD 50mm. The mirror just smacked it and that was the end of that experiment...

My friend has just bought a BM and a similar adapter to the metabones... (Cant remember the name of it but Dave dougdale the youtuber did a review a short time ago).

the beauty of having no mirror :P

I would feel jealous but I am ordering my 5D MK III shortly :P

Its been on my radar too since it came out, but think I am going to wait, or maybe look to getting like a c100 in the future, we shall see

Its been on my radar too since it came out, but think I am going to wait, or maybe look to getting like a c100 in the future, we shall see

I was so happy that the 5D MK IIIs and IIISR came out... Means I get the camera for even cheaper!

The C100 looks pretty tasty, however not on my radar as I am mainly taking stills.

I was so happy that the 5D MK IIIs and IIISR came out... Means I get the camera for even cheaper!

The C100 looks pretty tasty, however not on my radar as I am mainly taking stills.

yeah haha very ytue

yeah I want it for video work, keep my a7 for holidays and times when I need something small :)

GH4 is not a great still shooter though, poor low light performance being its main downside

More of a video camera,

4k is a much more demanding work flow too, not always easy to recommend,

true, there are much better mirror less cameras for stills Like the a7 with its full fame sensor. The gh4 does make some great video though.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

In USA, where @silentanarchy is used A7 are more like $600-750USD, which mean they are substantially cheaper then the 6D xD

In USA, where @silentanarchy is used A7 are more like $600-750USD, which mean they are substantially cheaper then the 6D xD

yeah well.. USA pricing can fuck off haha :D just because I paid like $2050 (equivalent in the UK) for my A7